New
Find
Notify
Tools

Open sights
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently purchased a M46 Husky in 9.3x57. Never been drilled for scope bases. All my other rifles have scopes so I am having to learn to shoot all over again. I'm lovin' it. My Dad is 82, hunted all his life and said he never saw a scope until WWII and never hunted with one until the 70's. How many of you guys actually hunt with open sights? This little rifle is so much fun, it has actually garnered a spot in the front of the safe. Bob

Posts: 371 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive done a fair amount of shooting with a peep sighted Sav 99 in 300 savage. I have never found it to be much of a handicap in the woods, and in fact it helps in some cases( like running game). I don't think it would be my choice for longer shots, but I could shoot into about 4 inches at 200 yards with the peep( about 6 inches standing up with my arm leaned on a tree) This is good enough for my book on deer and such.

Posts: 231 | Location: Rochester NY | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I use a scope nearly all the time and don't really even consider open sights for my hunting. That is until I bought a 458 win with a williams peep on it.

I know that I could use it out to 200 yards pretty easy with those sights.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I carry a 444 marlin in the bush and it doesn't have a scope. I can hit a running animal a lot easier with this then my 4X15 on the 300 win.

Always have a non scoped gun handy

Posts: 78 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not to good with regular open sights, but I love shooting with peep sights.

More than a scope actually...

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Mojo Sights, www.mojosights.com.

My eyes are 60, and with these iron sights, I can do almost as well as I do with a scope.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I taught my kids how to shoot with iron sights. They never graduated to a scope until they were competent with the irons. My oldest son prefers irons because he likes to get close before he shoots and scopes take more time.

Used to be that every factory rifle had iron sights...now they are becoming special order items. If something went wrong with your scope, you could pull it off and keep hunting...not any more...hunters have become dependent on gadgets, rangefinders & such.

Shooting with irons has started to become a lost art. I mean what I say...I took a 4 pt whitetail buck this year with a .338-06 and iron sights. My oldest son and son in law took bucks with iron sights too.

Admittedly there are area out west and other climes where scopes are the norm and pretty much necessary if you are going to fill your tag. I have my share of scopes in the gun cabinet too.

But how many of you have grabbed an iron sighted rifle and went hunting just for that challenge. I pull out my dad's 30-06 and take it hunting under the same conditions my dad would have hunted under...kind of a tribute to him I guess. Thing is though, that 30-06 fills the tag if you do your part.

swede

Posts: 44 | Location: North Central ND | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote