New
Find
Notify
Tools

browning lever gun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has the BLR ever been offered in 35 Whelen? What about .358 winchester?

thanks
wayne

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's been offered in 358 winchester and I had one. It shot 5/8 inch groups and I was happy with it. However, it was a Browning and inherently a crappy piece of Japanese junk, so I sold it.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
It's been offered in 358 winchester and I had one. It shot 5/8 inch groups and I was happy with it. However, it was a Browning and inherently a crappy piece of Japanese junk, so I sold it.

I've never really seen a "crappy" Browning, Japanese or not, and I have owned several and still own one !!!! On top of that, I wouldn't care where a rifle was made or what it looked like if it shot 5/8" groups, it's a keeper in my book.

bowhuntr [Wink]

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Browning offers the .358 in their current BLR which has gone back to the straight grip and barrel band version.

Good shooting, Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not owned one is some time, but I owned and hunted with a couple of 308's, a 284 and a 22-250 and I liked them all...all were accurate, functional guns...

Posts: 41973 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Browning BLR in .284 Win. and have found it to be an excellent rifle in every way. As a previous poster has stated, Browning has recently reintroduced the BLR81 in .358 Win., also in a couple of other calibers like .450 Marlin, you might want to go check out their website.

I also own two Browning 71's in .348
Win,one Browning 1886 45/70, and a Browning 65 in 218 Bee.These are all Japanese Brownings and the workmanship on them is flawless,they are extremely accurate,and function perfectly every time.

Posts: 117 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My "crappy" Brownings are all shooters and 100% reliable, right out of the box, which is damn site more than the competition can say. I sold a 1/2" .358 BLR too, what a coincidence ....

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On Browning's behalf I should say that the stock of my .358 BLR was so shiny that I could use it to check if my hair was messed up.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500 grains, thats what I hate about my BLR in .222. The damn shiny stock...takes a ding and holds it there and you cant do nothing about it. I like mine it shoots about less than 3/4" for about 5 shots , then they start to string, unless I let the barrel cool...might be the band...nice wood too, under all the shoe shine poly....bought it for my left handed wife, but she has never shot it!!!!......bob

Posts: 125 | Location: ct | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I currently own 2 BLR81,s one in .308 and one in .358 plus others that I have traded. Wish I haden't The .358 is my favorite. I also have two BAR's in 06 that shoot better than they should and work just fine. I've taken quite a bit of game with these rifles, but when I get serious in thick cover the .358 comes out, can't beat it !

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
500 Grains,
What the hell are you doing checking your hair when you're supposed to be hunting? Did the stock suddenly get shiney after you bought it? Did you decide it looked "crappy" before or after you saw your reflection? [Big Grin] Just teasin'

one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually e-mailed Browning and asked them if they would make a BLR in .35 Whelen for me and they never replied. Thought it would be easy since the make .35 caliber barrels, the BLR already comes in 30/06 so they have the action and they already have the reamers.

Posts: 361 | Location: Valdez, AK (aka Heaven) | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
daveinthebush,
One thing about Browning is their "unreceptive" posture towards new idea recommendations or "special requests". I've been trying for years to get a Stainless Stalker in .416 Remington and/or purchase a separate magnum length action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Who own's Browing? Is it still an over seas company? [Eek!]

Posts: 110 | Location: Southwest Utah | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote