Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
GAME AND FISH NEWS

June 4, 2021

2021 fall hunt applications due by 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, June 8

AZGFD to provide after-hours assistance beginning Monday

PHOENIX — The deadline to submit 2021 fall hunt applications is fast approaching.

Applications for deer, fall turkey, fall javelina, bighorn sheep, fall bison and sandhill crane must be received by the Arizona Game and Fish Department (AZGFD) no later than 11:59 p.m. (Arizona time) Tuesday, June 8. To apply, visit www.azgfd.gov/hunting/draw.

AZGFD is available to assist applicants with the application process. Customer service representatives can be reached by calling 602-942-3000. In addition, customer service representatives will be available to provide after-hours assistance — by telephone only — from 5 to 10 p.m. Monday, June 7, and 5 to 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, June 8.

To expedite the process, applicants are encouraged to be prepared with the following before calling AZGFD:

An applicant’s hunting or combination hunt and fish license must be valid through June 8. All applicants, including youth (ages 10-17), who are applying for a hunt permit-tag or bonus point only, must possess a license that is valid on the last day of the application period. Licenses can be purchased online at www.azgfd.gov/license/.

Know your Department ID. This is a must to submit an application. There are three ways to locate a Department ID: Log into your AZGFD portal account and click on “View Details” under “My AZGFD Dashboard,” check your hunting or combination hunt and fish license if it was purchased online, or call AZGFD at 602-942-3000 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. For more information, see Page 26 of the “2021-2022 Arizona Hunting Regulations” booklet.

Know where you want to hunt. It’s important to have your four-digit hunt number(s) pre-determined (not game management units).
In the meantime, hopeful hunters might want to view a couple of short videos before applying for a hunt.
Amber Munig, big game management supervisor, explains how the draw process works at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpI0lLp5Adk.

AZGFD provides step-by-step instructions on how to apply for a hunt permit-tag issued through the draw at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UVVH7OGo0Y.

​​​​​​​For more information, call 602-942-3000.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice of you to post this, thanks

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tough to get a decent tag in AZ anymore. Too many applicants in fact shut down the system last draw. OTC archery is best bet if you want to hunt

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just put in for deer and javelina points, thanks for the reminder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tick-tock, tick-tock...

Only 7 hours left.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What’s the deal with no Bison Bulls on draw and they are getting volunteers to hunt bison in the park?

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
What’s the deal with no Bison Bulls on draw and they are getting volunteers to hunt bison in the park?

Yeah, I noticed that. Due to my medical issues, I had the wild idea to maybe kill one on Raymond Ranch to finish my 10 if I could get lots of help. But when I went to apply, no bull available on RR or elsewhere. I bought another point instead and will likely never get to use it. Mad

I guess the idea is to cut down the breeding stock by killing only cows.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:

Are you referring to the lottery, where 45,000 people applied for 12 spots? Odds almost as bad as an elk tag in CA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
Are you referring to the lottery, where 45,000 people applied for 12 spots? Odds almost as bad as an elk tag in CA.

He was talking about two different things in the same sentence -- the regular draw conducted by AGFD for bison OUTSIDE of GCNP in the first clause and in the 2nd clause, the "volunteers to hunt bison in the park" refers to the culling inside the park.