Find
Notify
Tools

Recent buck
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted
This is a photo of a buck I killed in S.E. Oklahoma this past Sunday. I was trying out an old double shotgun that has been rebarreled to 40 caliber and customized to an in-line ignition with 209 primers. The rifle regulates fairly well and worked for this 35 yard shot. It was loaned by a friend and unfortunately is not for sale.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Hey, well done Perry.
Nice kickers.
What did he weigh (estimate)
How many Deer can you take per year?
That is a nice buck, is that normal for the area?

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great photograph! Thank you for posting it. clap
The problem is trying to decide which is the beter the gun or the buck, they both look good!

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Beautiful antler color, lots of character.

~Ann

Posts: 19559 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

How are you feeling these days my friend?

The area I hunt does not have many deer, but hunter numbers are low so the deer do live a bit longer. When you see a buck he is usually a good one. Out of the 10 deer I have killed in that area the past 21 years, 4 have been this nice or a bit better and I have seen 4 better bucks killed or missed. The primitive arms season seems to be the most productive most years for sighting and shots a good bucks. This year I saw a small buck running a doe Saturday and this buck seemed to be trailing something when I shot him. Most years we see a bit of rutting activity during the October season.

The buck weighed 116 lbs. He had nearly an 18 inch outside spread and good mass to go with the stickers and kickers. These deer are small bodied southern deer with no agriculture food sourse in the immediate area.

In Oklahoma we can kill 6 deer total. 4 can be taken during archery season (3 buck limit I think), 2 during primitive arms season (1 buck and 1 doe depending on the region) and 2 during rifle season (1 buck and doe) and we are allowed one anterless during a late December season in certain areas.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote