THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Anyone know anything about hunting near Dallas.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know anything about hunting near Dallas.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Good day everyone,

I'm asking this because I'm sitting in a hotel in Dallas and looking for something to do. I should know shortly
if I will be here another day or not, that's why I'm wondering what's available around here for non residents.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

Ps my email doesn't work here so I'll try to check this site again later.

Posts: 257 | Location: Canada | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About the only thing "in season" anywhere close to Dallas would be feral hogs (unless you count pigeons on the window ledge of your hotel). There are a few "exotics" ranches a couple of hours west, but I don't personally know any of them and can't make a recommendation. There is at least one hog hunting operation up in Grayson County (about 90 minutes) that is on the web. Why don't you do a web search for hogs and exotics in Texas?

Of course quail season is still going, and there may be some shooting preserves within a reasonable distance of the Metroplex, if feathered game is your "bag".

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stonecreek,
If I'm here for another day I'll look into the hog hunting. As for now I'll go check out the Bass Pro shop.
Thanks for now
Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Feral Hogs are open all year. I would think if you did a search you could find something fairly close to Dallas (w/in 3 hours drive). I don't have my book handy to see if the season is still open (I think it is), but there is some good quail hunting w/in 2-1/2 hour drive out by my lease in Archer CO. I would think you could find either for ~100/day, but am not sure on short notice.

-Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
Go buy a Dallas Morning News paper. Find the classified section, the very first section of the Classifieds is a listing of all the ads offering hunting & fishing opportunities. Right now all of the Game Hunting Seasons are closed in the North Texas area. There are several ads for game ranch's in the paper currently including one from Grayson County near the town of Dension for Elk and other exotics, referencing "call PJ". Feral Hogs, Elk and other exotics like Sika, Blackbuck, Axis and various sheep and goats are not considered a native animal in Texas and therefore are not regulated by Texas Parks & Wildlife's game laws and can be hunted year round. There are also some Quail and Pheasant Farms within driving distance that hunt planted birds legally until sometime later in the spring. Game ranch hunting can be quite expensive this close to the MetroMess.

My strong suggestion is forget hunting and take a guided fishing trip at Lake Texoma, also in Grayson County, for Striped Bass or catfish. There was a new world record blue catfish caught yesterday in the lake @ 121+lbs on rod and reel, and this is the best time of the year to catch large prespawn Striped Bass as well. Check out these Websites for some info on Texoma: www.sixoldgeezers.com and www.texasfishingforum.com. Find a striper guide buddy of mine named Jeff or JD Lyle by doing a search for him on TFF, or one of the guys off the "geezers" board that Prunepicker (the webmaster for the site) will recommend like JD's partner Mark, or Snowgoose. Good luck!

Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the replys,
I'm still on hold for tomorow to see if I'm here another day or not. As for today I had great fun visiting
the Bass Pro Shop. Didn't get to see everything so may have to return tomorow if I'm still here.
Also had great fun at the DFW gun club shooting their Tommy gun and a Glock 45.
Anyways I'll do some looking on the net and maybe find a place to hunt pigs.
Thanks again
\Mike