New
Find
Notify
Tools

Douglas Wyoming
 Login/Join

<Mike27>
posted
Good morning everyone. In just a few hours I will begin my drive to the Thunder Basin National Grasslands for my first antelope hunt. Im not looking for trophy size just a decent set of horns and a nice time. I have read as much information that I could find on the subject and have discussed the hunt with the local biologist from that area. I will have 10x bioculars, a Zeiss spotting scope, and a .270 with me. No ATVs. If anyone has any last minute tips on hunting this area that could help me on my quest please pass them on. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and I will let you know how we do. Take care. Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
If his paddles stick above his ears, shoot him. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,

Have a good hunt! Douglas is a neat town, be sure to buy a jackalope and visit the La Bonte Hotel/Bar. It's been 20 years since I've been there, but hopefully it's stil there and hasn't changed much.

Should you have some time to kill, visit the nearby Wyoming Law Enforcment Academy and tell Tim Hood that I said hello.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
<GoWyo!>
posted
Howdy all,

Good luck with your hunt Mike. Hey Bemanbeme, the vernacular is "cutters" not "paddles". Moose and canoes have paddles. Just thought you might want to know.

The .270 is a great choice for these little goats, um...antelope?, um...giraffe cousins, ok fine- pronghorns.

Other than that, you're right about the horn height- 2X the ears equals about 14". More is better. Long cutters and ivory tips is great!

posted Hide Post
yea dont miss the bronze (i think) jackalope at the town center. Also get your self a fluffy stuffed one.

JB

Posts: 11 | Location: pa | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
<Mike27>
posted
Hi gang we had a great time on our antelope hunt. I was hoping to link to a couple of photos but my hunting partner has the camera and he left for a trip to Idaho a week after we returned to Michigan. We both had our antelope by noon on opening day. His had 12" horns and mine 13". The one thing that I will always remember is that the locals were very friendly and seemed genuinely interested on how our hunt went. We did hunt for Sage Grouse one day because we got to the campsite early but did not flush any. We did see tons of little rabbits (cottontail sub-species???). Does anyone know if the rabbits are hunted out there and are good to eat? I can highly recommend the garlic chicken at the Four Seasons Restaurant in Douglas. Im already planning for a return trip for antelope next year. Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike27 -

Perhaps you can provide me with some additional info about your hunt, as I was thinking of heading to that area for my first antelope hunt next year. What Management Unit were you hunting in? Were you hunting on public land? Did you see lots of antelope during your time there? Has the on-going drought had any effect on them?

Thanks in advance - pagris

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike 27-- Shot my first Goat east of Bill Wyo. in 1955. When I lived in Wyo. we hunted cotten tail rabbits with 22 rifles and ate them . Save the backs and rear legs,put them in salt water for about two Hrs. then put them in a plastic bag with Italian salad dressing for a day. Grill them--good camp meat. A frends wife would make rabbit pot pie out of them,boy was that good eating. Hunting and shooting web sites shur have cause me to remember some fine experieces. Thanks. Have fun.

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
<Mike27>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by pagris:
Mike27 -

Perhaps you can provide me with some additional info about your hunt, as I was thinking of heading to that area for my first antelope hunt next year. What Management Unit were you hunting in? Were you hunting on public land? Did you see lots of antelope during your time there? Has the on-going drought had any effect on them?

Thanks in advance - pagris

<Mike27>
posted
Pagris send me an e-mail to Prkguy@aol.com and I can try to help you out. Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tuck 2:
[QB]Hi Mike 27-- Shot my first Goat east of Bill Wyo. in 1955. When I lived in Wyo. ]

Tuck. Do you remember John Dilts? He had a rnach on both sides of the road north of Bill.
I hunted there 1961----65

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote