New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Has More Meaning to You???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok, gentleman- I am beginning to wrap up my local hunting for the year and a thought came to mind (scary, I know). I've done relatively few guided hunts away from home compared to most of you- so please bare with me. What means more to you- local hunts where you do it all alone, or guided hunts where you rely on someone else's expertise.

When I go on hunts away from home and hire a guide- I rely on their expertise as to what to expect in trophy quality and how to hunt, that is, after all- what we pay them for. I have had some amazing hunts like that thus far. However, in the last 2 weeks, I hunted on my own in some heavily hunted local public land and had a wonderful time. The best answer I can give is- it's different. I enjoy hunting on my own locally and relying on my own skills and knowledge and abilities. However, I don't feel jaded when hiring a guide or outfitter to help show me a new area, method of hunting, or different animals. It's a learning experience and I hope to have many more before I'm too old or unable to do these hunts far from home. What do you all say? I'm just curious for opinions.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a guide, and I've been guided many times too. But to me, I enjoy hunting alone in the mtns of Colorado.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I enjoy both for different reasons. The local hunting of course is done my way and I only have me to answer to. I enjoy guided hunts for something I haven't had the chance to hunt before or a place I've never been. I also enjoy it for the people I meet and learning something new from the guide.

I haven't been on as many guided hunts as some others here but most guides I've stayed in contact with after the hunt and value the new friendship that's been earned.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy both but it seems I spend time to "get away" and hence use a guide. Most of the time I really enjoy the guides.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I generally only go on guided hunts for animals I don't have at home. These hunts are more of a grand adventure type feeling. Even though being successful is satisfying its not the same as doing it yourself.

Killing a big buck or gobbler on my own is more satisfying.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
For myself a Guided Hunt, whether I am the client or the guide, is more meaningful.

Because I am not picky about what I choose to shoot, I prefer to be hunting with someone because it allows me more time in the field.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've enjoyed guided hunts in Africa. The most enjoyable is deer hunting with my son. The annual father and son redneck bonding session.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not done much DIY hunting since I left Alaska but when we lived there we got pretty good at the fly out, get dropped off, call a moose and kill it thing. That to me was very rewarding as it always was an adventure from start to finish. Other than the plane ride in and out your success or lack of and perhaps your safety was totally dependent on your personal preparedness and skill. Guided hunts particularly international hunts provide a whole new and different set of challenges and can offer a very rewarding experience in their own way. To me one is not better than the other but just different.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are totally different hunts to me and I LOVE them both!

Usually when I use a guide it's because of the requirement by law and it's for an animal which is not readily available locally.

It's pretty hard to hunt bighorn unguided in my home State when my tag is in the wilderness of Wyoming! haha

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I have hunted alone extensively and loved it. I now have come to prefer "guided" hunting. That being; guiding my Son hunting for the last 5 years, he is 15 now, and am looking forward to the days of him guiding me hunting should the Lord let me dwell here another decade or two.
He said this year; "it's kind of sad Dad to think that I will be better than you, and able to do more things some day."
"Not to me Son. Not to me."
Best regards,

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
I enjoy guided hunts the most.

I don't enjoy hunting alone very much and none of my friends or family want to hunt with me. To me, a guide is nothing more or less than a hunting partner who gets happens gets paid. Also, going with a guide provides access to good places to hunt. This is very valuable in and of itself because there are no farmers, ranchers or large landowners anywhere in my lineage and hunting on public land in my area is a joke.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For all of us, it depends.

Hunting alone has merit for those that wish to pit themselves against nature. DIY alone or with friends has the reward of beating the odds. Going guided gives you an edge on finding the "one". Or at least giving you a leg up.

I have done all three and enjoyed all three equally. You have to set your goals and expectations for the hunt.

That said, standing alone on a mountain. Snow falling. Watching a band of elk walk single file through a small clearing is pretty damn fulfilling. That is what I grew up doing, so maybe it will always be a little more special.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've either hunted alone or with Dad or someone else along. Just two of us nearly always. So far the only time I've hired anyone or thing was the pig shoots in Fla. They took us to various stands and we chose where we wanted to sit. We could have wandered the woods too but, didn't. We were left alone, my buddy sat with me as he'd shot the one he wanted. Once they were down we radioed to "come and get it" and they did.

What I've watched much of Saeed's hunts I can see already I wouldn't enjoy as it looks like he's just a designated shooter. Re: Follow, shoot the one that's pointed out". Surely everything they hunt isn't that way.

I enjoy two guys together and deciding which one takes the first shot if only one animal.

Very likely I haven't seen the whole deal, therefore don't know how it's all done yet.

To me, a guided hunt is: assistance and knowledge of the area and animals I may not be familiar with, plus the accomodations.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of my hunts are DIY.It is more a matter of economics with me.I do splurge occasionally for a guided hunt.I like to hunt and really don`t care what the circumstances are. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easily, local hunts that I have drawn tags for. Much more rewarding for me and I can make the decisions.

I have been on some guided hunts as well. Most of them were great!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our local hunting is kind of thin, I like a good road trip to Wyoming. I've gone on one guided hunt and liked it, but also like a little yakking with people we've met over the years in Wyoming.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14629 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting alone or with family/friends is something I thoroughly enjoy, and it would always be my first choice. I don't want to hunt with a guide unless it is a legal requirement, or I am on a hunt in an unknown area for unfamiliar game. Fortunately, most of the (relatively few) guides that I have hunted with seem to be able to read their clients pretty well, and provide the type of experience I'm looking for.

Many of the hunting videos I've seen show guides grabbing their clients by the shirt sleeve and tugging him into position, and for the most part they never seem to shut up. "Wait...wait...okay, shoot now...right behind the shoulder...hang on, there's a bush in the way...reload, reload!..." That would drive me nuts! Help me find an animal, make sure I am on the correct animal...and then keep quiet, please.

I also don't feel any desire to travel vast distances and hire a guide, only to shoot the same animals I have in my own back 40. If I'm driving for two straight days or perhaps flying, there needs to be something to hunt at the other end which will never step into my backyard at home.

I was thrilled this year to shoot my first Mule Deer and a wonderful Pronghorn on a trip to Wyoming...but I was equally thrilled (maybe even more thrilled) to get the bruiser Whitetail sitting in my own homemade stand at home.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote