Find
Notify
Tools

Whitetail Down in KY!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted
I hunted TC's Game Trails property in west KY over the past few days. Friday, I had 2 really nice 8-pointers in and we filmed them for a while. I think both were probably 3.5 years old and would be high 120's and low 130's respectively. That evening saw a few deer, but nothing great. Saturday morning was really slow and then it warmed up.

We decided to hunt an overgrown clover field down on the Ohio River. Even as warm as it was, deer started moving in early. A 2.5 year old 9 point visited, and we had probably 8-10 does and yearlings out in various spots.
About 4:15 a big mature doe came bounding out of the woods, and my cameraman said "buck following her". I peeked out the ground blind and saw him step out in the open. He was a big tall 8-pointer. I made sure that he was 4.5 years old (huge body with deep chest, short face and big belly). He looked like a tank as he followed the doe out in the field, and I was just seeing a profile. He finally turned to face me, and I saw he had both brow tines, so I got ready. About that time the doe sprinted out farther in the field, and I figured I better take him before he got to chasing her again.

I smacked him with the .30 TC Icon at about 90 yards and broke those big shoulders.
I was really thrilled to have him. I have never taken a big slick 8-pointer, and have always wanted one for the wall. His best G-2 is 12" and I couldn't be happier.

The same evening, my buddy Gordy krahan took a great old 4x7 buck that was 21" wide and will go in the 150's. Sorry - I didn't get a photo of it. Bill Miller of N Am Hunter took a real nice 10-pointer yesterday.

Game Trails is a fantastic place to hunt. You see lots of deer, and many nice bucks. I doe hunted this morning and saw a big 7-pointer that woould push 130. We had another nice 9 pointer taken in camp and everyone saw quality bucks. This is quicly becoming one of the best places to hunt in the US, and it is available to bowhunters.

BTW...here is my buddy Neil Saanders with his 176 killed a couple days before my arrival...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Wow, nice bucks! Congrats! beer

X

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x-caliber:
Wow, nice bucks! Congrats! beer

X

x 2 thumb

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad Starcevich
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous bucks. Congrats. Best, Brad Starcevich

Posts: 135 | Location: St. Charles, IL USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim, your buck looks to have incredible mass in the pic--what kind of bases are on that boy?

Did you score him yet? Looks like one of those 8's that could tote a good number--140+ class??

Nice pics! Is the Icon as heavy afield as it feels at the counter?

Regards--D

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Fish... He is a 140ish *-point. He has good mass, but it isn't ridiculous. He was a big solid mature buck for sure.

The ICON isn't heavy in the field at all. It is a great feeling rifle, and I will be getting one in a magnum (likely .300 Win) next year. They have made some improvements to the gun for 2008 and it will be even better. Mine shoots great...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback Tim. I actually like what I see in the Icon so far, I will wait for '08 and consider a 308 or 300 WSM if they go there.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot this one in Mo. Sunday, 8-pointer, 18 in. inside, 24 in. beams, 10 in. G1's, just a nice buck, no monster. I didn't get to hunt but a couple of days so couldn't be too picky. This one was a running away shot at 250-275 with the .257 Wby and 100 TSX. He was hit in the left hip, went clear through the ribs, lodged in the shoulder somewhere as there is a lot of bloodshot meat there, haven't looked for the bullet yet, but he was dead on the spot.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Very nice and what a great shot! Congrats...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Good job, Tim. You guys did good!

Are you going to SHOT? If so, maybe we can hook up in the press room and chat a bit.

And Happy Thanksgiving! -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Tony,

I will be there - most of the time in the Under Armour booth though!!! would love to meet you...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com