New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Help in Choosing Cartidge
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recommend that you buy a Kimber 8400 in one of the short mags. They all work buy the one you find with the prettiest wood. They are a little lively in the recoil dept. but nothing you couldn't handle. I think they would be a top choice for you because they are well made (in America), Accurate to extremely accurate, Asthestically pleasing IHMO, and usually fit very well. If you think would rather have a little less recoil look at a Kimber 84 in 308 or 7-08. Before you buy anything else, do yourself a favor and shoulder both these rifles, I think you will end up liking what you see.
Second choice would be a Sako 75 preferably a Finnlite if you can afford one. I have a couple 1 is very accurate the other is scary accurate.
I personally do beleive that some composite stocks kick less than wood. I had a Sako 75 Delux (wood stocked) 300 Ultra Mag that gave me a headache after about 10 shots. I traded it for a Sako 75 Stainless/composite 300 Ultra Mag that I can shoot far more without discomfort. It may just be that the Stainless has a better recoil pad but it is definitely more comfortable to shoot (shoots awesome too).
My Elk Guide considers the 270 the low end for Elk. Sure they work but Elk are big critters I think that most people would rather have something that makes larger holes. Our lease had 1 elk killed with a 270 last year - It was shot 4 times. The 7mags and larger calibers had a much larger proportion of 1 shot kills..........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I personally do beleive that some composite stocks kick less than wood.

There is no doubt about it. Some Synthetic stocks definitely kick less than wood in comparably weighted rifles.

The factory Remington Model 700 stocks are a prime example. My Model 700 7mm Remington Mag kicks far less than a similar weight Wood Stocked Ruger 7mm Mag that I sighted in for a fellow. Due to the scope weight on the Ruger, you could say the Ruger was even heavier. That 700 7mm kicks less than a Wood Stocked Model 110 Savage 30-06 that I own. I have shot my share of Magnums in different styles and makes, Some definitly have more felt recoil than others. This is not true w/ all Synthetic stocked rifles, alot of the light weight rifles kick very hard.

The design of some synthetic stocks allow them to give slightly when under stress therefore, acting much like a recoil pad. Wood doesn't give in the same manner which, results in more felt recoil in similar weights of the same cal.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Quote:

For instance, I didn't know that the new (to me) composite stocks reduced recoil.

Dont believe everything you read in these pages, that's one that I personally would have to experience to give any creedence to. First of all synthetic stocks generally weigh less than wood which gives wood an edge in the recoil reduction dept. The shape of a stock is something different altogether.

Also I have to disagree about the 7mm vs 30-06 being equal in recoil. I had a 7mm that was over 9 lbs and it still kicked more than a number of lighter 06'es Ive had. If it came down to 270 vs 7mm RM I'd opt for the 270 as it nearly equals the 7mm in all respects except for felt recoil.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's what I'd do: check out DJ's Loan & Sport Shop on Beardslee Boulevard in Bothell. Their phone number is 425-486-1919 if you need directions. They have an incredible used rack, including tons of synthetic stocked rifles and dozens of Model 70's in the cartridges you mention. Find the one that fits you best, pay the man and go hunting.

Hope this helps, Okie John.

posted Hide Post
Guys, once again, thank you very much for your advice. I will definitely take it to heart.
Regards,

Cliff
Seattle

Posts: 15 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 26 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cliff, I was in a similar situation to yours, except that I am on the "right" side of the great state of Washington . I had previously owned rifles in .243 Win., .270 Win., 7mm-08,and 30-06 but had traded all of them off when I decided to "retire" from shooting and hunting. After about 5 years, I discovered how much I missed it and decided to resume the hobby. In trying to decide which rifle to buy for deer and the occasional elk, I almost drove myself crazy. But then I checked out the .270 Winchester Short Magnum and found a Model 70 Super Shadow at Walmart in the caliber. For about $400 I had a cartridge that will outperform the .270 winchester and get surprisingly close to the 7mm Remington Magnum. And I am convinced it recoils less than my old 30-06 lightweight carbine model 70. As a handloader I can also choose to duplicate .270 Win. ballistics to reduce recoil if I choose to, and actually load my ammo between the two, choosing a Nosler 140 gr Accubond bullet at about 3,000 fps. It will do the job on any deer at any reasonable range and I believe it will handle elk at 300 yards, if I do my part. If you want to have heavier bullets, then the 300 Winchester Short Magnum might be a better option, but I prefer the lower recoil of the .270 WSM since I will only hunt elk occasionally. Good Luck, and don't discount the short magnums. I am realy happy with mine.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll suggest the 7mm-08. With a premium 140 gr. Barnes TSX at around 2800-2900 fps you can hunt elk, deer and antelope, etc with confidence . A very accurate cartridge which has very light recoil and works well in light weight "mountain rifles". My rig is a T/C Encore with a 24" barrel and carries like a Model 7.

One shot at 225 yards dropped my 5x5 bull last year in his tracks. I'd leave the magnums to the under-achievers.

Posts: 60 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
John, we must be neigbors and you must be reading my mind, as I'm heading up there tomorrow. I've bought a couple of shotguns from them and Bruce and his brother run a good shop. I think they have the best selection of used firearms in the Seattle area. Kesselrings may have a larger larger selection but they are a long way north. Anyway, thanks for the tip.
Cliff

Quote:

Here's what I'd do: check out DJ's Loan & Sport Shop on Beardslee Boulevard in Bothell. Their phone number is 425-486-1919 if you need directions. They have an incredible used rack, including tons of synthetic stocked rifles and dozens of Model 70's in the cartridges you mention. Find the one that fits you best, pay the man and go hunting.

Hope this helps, Okie John.

Posts: 15 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 26 June 2004Reply With Quote