THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    This Year's Montana Whitetails (Pictures)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This Year's Montana Whitetails (Pictures)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted
We just got back from our annual family deer hunting trip in Eastern Montana. In three days of hunting, five of us took five bucks, two does for meat, five turkeys and left behind a lot of carnage at a prairie dog town.

The past couple of years I've had the unfortunate experience of "ground shrinkage" while walking up to the bucks I've shot. This year, finally had the opposite experience. This buck ended up being a bit heavier than I had initially thought. He was taken at 350 yards with a 130 gr. Accubond out of my 6.5 WSM.

My dad, who just turned 75 also got a nice buck this year. His was taken at 220 yards with a 120 gr. Ballistic Tip out of his 6.5X55. One shot through the heart. Dad thought that this might be his last year of hunting, but I think we convinced him that his shooting is still good enough to try it again next year.

I'll have a few more pictures from the other guys as well as a more complete story up on my website in a few days if you want to check them out.

Pete

Hunt Productions
http://www.hunt-productions.com

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
My grandfather took his last buck in his early eighties. I would be dissapointed if your father stopped hunting so young!

Please tell him this complete stranger is very happy for him and his success!

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
thanks for sharin, how big are they? guess about 175+ body weight BC about 160 hard to tell from the pictures
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to both of you.

I'd have thought you all would be up to your ears in snow by now. Nice to see you didn't have to fight it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I leave today for Montana deer hunting. I heard that the whitetails in Eastern Montana got hit with Blue Tongue again. Did you see any evidence of this?

Thanks,

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Nice deer! Congrats to the both of you, and I hope your Dad continues to hunt.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
We didn't see any evidence of blue tongue this year. The whitetail population was way up from last year. I would guess I found around 50 carcasses last year, this year I didn't find any.

hivelosity -

They're not actually that big. I would say 140 pounds dressed out. As far as B&C score, I would guess mine was around 130, my dad's around 100.

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
a very fine-looking deer, talent - congratulations. what area were you in? i might guess somewhere between malta and glasgow, or perhaps down in the powder/tongue river area? or, i could be completely wrong. Wink

i haven't seen any evidence of blue-tongue, either - whitetail populations look rpetty strong this year and hoping to see a lot of great things next year in this area.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Good guess! Both bucks were taken on the banks of the Little Powder just outside of Broadus.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
congrats

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
VERY NICE GOING!!! thumb

Now, how about a little terminal performance info, especially on the 130 grain AB?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and Weidmanns Heil, especially to your dad. I hope he can join you on many future hunts!

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thx for sharing the pics, sounds like a super hunt! I just got back from a really good hunt down in SE Mt as well, wish to heck my Dad could of gone with me, you're a lucky one to have him still hunting with you! Wink

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Bobby-

Here's a link to the write up on the 130 gr. AB performance: http://www.hunt-productions.com/

Pete

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope you left a few for me. Wink

I will be hunting on the Little powder tomorrow morning. dancing

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Talentrec.

Don't sell yourself short. I say 137 and 120.

I love Eastern Montana. It is good country. I would go up there every year if I could.

Nice deer thumb

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote