THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    9.3x62mm Mauser 250 Barnes X vs 293 RWS TUG

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62mm Mauser 250 Barnes X vs 293 RWS TUG
 Login/Join

<Bucky>
posted
About to hunt Sambar Deer with a 9.3X62mm Mauser (Sauer 200). I have both 250 grain Barnes X & RWS 293 grain ready to go - which is better for all shots at any angle - range would be no more than 100 metres in heavy scrub/forest.

<Bucky>
posted
The 293 RWS are TUG's - by the way!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bucky,
I suspect the 250 Barnes X...that said my choice would be a 286 Gr. Nosler as I have shot everything from duiker to Buffalo with that bullet....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41941 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am taking a box of RWS 293 TUGS to Canada tomorrow for moose with my 9.3X74R SXS. I will let you know how they do!!

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
<jpamp>
posted
I've been using the Barnes X 250 gr in my 9.3x62 for two seasons now and so far I'm very pleased. I've shoot five mooses, four wild boars and some deers. None of them required a second shoot, so overall I must say that I'm very pleased. The game that are taken with the Barnes x go a bit further then what they do when you use a softer bullet. So far none of the animals traveled more then 100 m after the shot so I wouldnt consider this a big problem. I'm using a Blaser r-93 and this combination has proved deadly.

Regards
Henrik

one of us
posted Hide Post
G�day Bucky!

Let us know witch bullet you use on the sambar and the result if you get one. I�m going to Australia in oct and there will be some hunting for sambar deer on the trip. Im going to borrow a 9,3X62 from a Aussie and I�m really intrested in your results.

I do my moosehunting here in Sweden with a 9,3X62 and I really like it. I have had good result with Normas 15 grams Oryx bullet on moose and this seson I�m trying Noslers 18,5 grams Part. I have not shot any moose with the new Nosler bullet but I hope to do before the long trip down under.

Good hunting.

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Bucky>
posted
Stefan,

I have taken a few Sambar already with the 9.3x62 & a 9.3x64. The 9.3x64 was a bit more spectacular but the bullets broke up more. I have used the Barnes X 250 grain on Fallow & Red deer. The Red deer was taken through the shoulders at about 70 metres and only ran about 25 metres before going down hard.

With the Sambar sometimes the only shot you will get is of the deer running away - so deep penetration is essential. I'm not sure which would be best Barnes X or TUG - although I suspect there wouldn't be a lot of difference.

Most animals I've shot with the 9.3x62 only needed the one shot. The Barnes X seems very deadly - but so far I've only taken animals side on with them - no end to end shots.

quote:
Originally posted by Stefan:
G�day Bucky!

Let us know witch bullet you use on the sambar and the result if you get one. I�m going to Australia in oct and there will be some hunting for sambar deer on the trip. Im going to borrow a 9,3X62 from a Aussie and I�m really intrested in your results.

I do my moosehunting here in Sweden with a 9,3X62 and I really like it. I have had good result with Normas 15 grams Oryx bullet on moose and this seson I�m trying Noslers 18,5 grams Part. I have not shot any moose with the new Nosler bullet but I hope to do before the long trip down under.

Good hunting.

Stefan.