THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Blown out by weather, Wyoming antelope hunt.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blown out by weather, Wyoming antelope hunt.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
We drove straight through to Medicine Bow, Wyoming from California, Sunday at noon and got to Wyoming Monday morning after a vicious rain and hail storm Sunday night.

Antelope numbers are way down from previous years and we only saw 19 antelope on the first day with only one mature buck and a couple of dinks.

We got the weather report saying that another big storm was on the way in so we decided to just take the next two bucks that we saw on Tuesday and get out of camp. My friend took a medium sized, mature buck in the morning and I shot a small meat buck at 275 yards in raging winds right after noon. I held on the front of the brisket on a walking buck and my bullet went through his liver, approximately 2 feet of wind drift.

The weather report said that we were in 40 MPH winds with gusts to 60 MPH during the day and the snow flurries and temperatures in the 20s were expected that night so we dressed both bucks out, broke camp and ran back to California.

I didn't bother with a trophy pic:

Here's the next storm on the way in:

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the successful hunt.

Too bad you did not get a chance to have a hunting trip the way one hopes they will go, with good times spent with friends.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some times one has to do what one has to do

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Wyoming!

Posts: 1175 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
We were camping in a tent, not the thing for 40 MPH winds.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, but you got to go hunting and you got some decent meat to put on the table. Congratulations. We've done that before and it was worth every bit of it.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
We probably crossed paths. You weren't at the Virginian on Sunday afternoon, were you? I shot a buck antelope northeast of Medicine Bow on Monday, (Sept. 29.) Not a trophy, by any means, but I'm happy to have him. 360 yard shot, verified with rangefinder.

The rain turned the dirt roads into a slippery mess. A couple of other hunters tried to drive the 26 miles of two-track between Medicine Bow and the ranch in a Buick sedan (they didn't make it..) While out on the prairie a short but violent thunderstorm rumbled through and I thought I was going to get struck by lightning.

The sun came out for a few minutes early on Monday morning, just in time to glare into the scope as I took the shot.

Welcome to Wyoming, indeed!

This was only my second year hunting in the area so I don't know if the numbers are up or down from normal. WY didn't want to sell me a doe tag so they must be down.

Antelope can sure run fast but they don't jump fences very well.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote