Notify
Tools

A blast (for real) from the past.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Oh, for those good old days...

When no one went spastic over a trophy photo, one carried firearms around specifically to hunt, real food put on the table never caused anyone to melt down and cry for days.

<<<sigh>>>

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I remember when I was in High School many of the boys, including me had our shotguns and shells in our vehicles and as soon as Football practice was over we headed out Dove hunting!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I used to wa;k to school, with my 410 single barrel shotgun and a handful of shells.

I used to leave them behind the classroom door, and shoot birds on the way back home.

Several of us who learnt to load our own ammo, used to fill up our suitcases with bullets, powder, primers and take them home.

We even used to carry firearms we bought abroad in our suitcases!

Never had a problem.

Flying was a pleasure.

Today, going through airports is a lesson in self control, with all the utterly stupid rules they have.

Traveling with my family, even my ten year old daughter notices how stupid some airport security people are - and she keeps reminding me - “dad, don’t say anything!”

The world well and truly gone to hell!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68789 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He probably drove around for a week with that deer on his hood! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's another example from the good old days. In 1971, on my first big game hunt, I was on my way to Alaska. In Chicago's O'Hare airport I carried my rifle right down the concourse to my boarding gate in a soft gun case. No problem and I planned to put it in the airplane's coat closet.

As I sat waiting for boarding to begin the Northwest Airlines crew showed up. The pilot looked at me and said You headed to Alaska for a hunt? I said yep. after some small talk about hunting, he said here hand me your rifle. I'll put it up in the cockpit with me to make sure it doesn't get knocked around!! Times sure have changed.

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember in about 1962 I brought my 22 rifle to school for a classroom demonstration in Evanston (suburban Chicago), Ill of all places and no one thought a thing about it.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Cool pic
Try that in today’s day and age
It would be hell to pay

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Indeed, in today's America this would cause heads to explode, snowflakes to melt, mental health counseling for life, loss of job for the bus driver, school would be sued, probably shut down and more.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
It's a shame what has happened to our country and our people!

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Indeed, in today's America this would cause heads to explode,

In much of todays America, someone transporting a game animal exposed even in the bed of a pick up can end up getting you stopped by a GW and being told to cover the animal in some fashion.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
In England they have actually a[pointed mental councilors to each school now!

Not sure kids of to have any brains to be counciled about! clap

Posts: 68789 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
Indeed, in today's America this would cause heads to explode,

In much of todays America, someone transporting a game animal exposed even in the bed of a pick up can end up getting you stopped by a GW and being told to cover the animal in some fashion.

That's pure Baloney and I have no idea how you came up with that since you very seldom leave Olney by your own admission. The reason you don't see elk, deer, and moose carcasses exposed on the highways the way it used to be is because most states don't allow whole ungulate carcasses to be transported within their jurisdictions due to CWD Regulations. Most now require the brain and surrounding tissue on the head along with the spinal column to be removed and disposed of properly before transportation to the owner's home. However, there are plenty of antlers visible when I'm on the freeways back and forth out west every fall and no GW or any other LE official is pulling any of them over telling them to cover them up!

one of us
posted Hide Post
For awhile I kept my recurve bow with broadheads in my dorm room closet, for a phys-ed class in "Archery, Bowling, and Golf". There weren't enough bows to go around.
Never heard a word about it.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14629 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to carry a gun on my upside down handlebars on my bike. Never a comment or look from the neighbors.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Marathon Texas in the 1950s, the day deer season opened, we took our guns and ammo and put them in the principles office and when school was out we sneaked on a 50,000 or so acre ranch close to town. The rancher never caught us but Im real sure he knew it and just grinned and ignored it..folks back then were different...Funny thing it was like stealing watermelons, all we had to do was ask, Id bet on that.

We din't shoot many of his deer, maybe two a year..over the 4 years of high school.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If GWs stopped every truck or jeep or whatever in Idaho hauling deer, elk, bear Moose they would have a full time job doing nothing else..

Ive never been stopped on the highway in Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Nevada or Texas to check my animals during hunting season. Been talked to at a coffee shop by GWs who thught my bull or buck was sure nice..just friendly conversation..Have been checked at hunting camp on occasion or at a game check stations on ocassions..Never got hard assed by a GW, always polite and friendly..

Checking for CWD would not bother me at all on the highway or at my house, wherever..

I haven't noticed the USA to be such a bad place to live, hunt and fish..but I live in the most democratic state, anti liberal state in the USA..God Bless Idaho.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
last time I talked to a warden he stopped me to tell me about a big Shira's moose up the canyon a little way's and that I might want to go check it out.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Folks, it varies from state to state, there is NO Blanket Policy.

All I can go on is whatstarted being put in place in Texas in the 1990's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

All I can go on is what started being put in place in Texas in the 1990's.

I wondered what you would come back with after we called you out on your stupid post and it was just as I thought with another stupid one! So now you say Texas has that policy when first it was "Much of todays Americas", LOL! I hunted south Texas and the Hill country well into the 2000s and you couldn't count the number of deer on or in vehicles on a weekend because there were so many, LOL! Keep posting and you'll only dig the BS hole deeper!

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ramhunter:
Here's another example from the good old days. In 1971, on my first big game hunt, I was on my way to Alaska. In Chicago's O'Hare airport I carried my rifle right down the concourse to my boarding gate in a soft gun case. No problem and I planned to put it in the airplane's coat closet.

As I sat waiting for boarding to begin the Northwest Airlines crew showed up. The pilot looked at me and said You headed to Alaska for a hunt? I said yep. after some small talk about hunting, he said here hand me your rifle. I'll put it up in the cockpit with me to make sure it doesn't get knocked around!! Times sure have changed.

1969, returnign to Mass from a summer in Arizona I did the same with a .30-30; in a soft case in to the plane's closet.

1985-6 at Alaska Pacifuc University I kept a colelction of 15 Winchesters and some handguns in a metal cabinet in my dorm room.

Same year teaching at Dimond High in Anchorage, the McKinley Mt. Men came in for a demonstration to my History of the American West class. The kids shot a flint lock and cap lock on the school grounds. I also brought a .45 SAA into the classroom to show the fast draw to the kids. And, the Winchesters I kept in the dorm room, I posted from Mass to the school in Anchorage and the kids opened the packages and loved the old rifles.

All of the above never to be seen again. And, it will get worse soon and the end will come when the Dems get the senate and presidency.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I came home one late afternoon after shooting some ducks.

Met a teacher at our house who teaches at my brothers school.

He asked if he could have some ducks.

I gave him some.

A few days later, he brought us a big dish full of chicken and rice, absolutely delicious.

He said his wife liked the ducks so much, she made this for us, asking if we can have some sort of food exchange.

I give him ducks, and his wife cooks us this dish.

Trouble was ducks are not very common in our area. But cormorants were plenty.

I shot some cormorants, skinned them - they look like ducks now clap and gave them to him.

He continued bringing us that chicken dish, and kept saying the ducks are a bit fishy in taste! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

All I can go on is whatstarted being put in place in Texas in the 1990's.

I have to drive interstate 10 west, past San Antonio and Kerrville to get to my place. On a Sunday driving home it's very common to see 100 or more trucks with game canals in the back.......from Elk to whitetail..

I have done and still do the same, never, not once have I heard even second hand that there is any tpwd "policy" against this.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I said, I am just going by what was being passed along to Hunters Ed Instructors from the PTB's in Austin when I was involved in the program.

I have also personally talkled to a few folks that stated that they had GW's stop them checking their game and advised them that it would be better if they covered their animals in some manner as a simple courtesey to the rest of the public, since not everyone hunts or likes seeing a dead animal.

The practice of strapping deer or other game in plain sight on a vehicle started as a method so GW's could see who had killed something and what was killed, game in a closed trunk was viewed as possible poaching.

I do not think it ever became an issue to where a person could or would be ticketed anywhere in America, but I am not sure on that.

I do know that when Lora, Tina and I were driving thru upper New York state on our way back from Newfoundland, the number 3 man in the hierarchy of the New York Fish and Game Dept. stopped us when he saw the moose and caribou racks on top of the cab of our pick up. He was just being nosy, but we had a good visit and went on our way.

At no point in this discussion have I said that it became law or that a person could or would be ticketed, it was just some comments about something I perrsonally experienced.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep digging that hole CHC since nothing in that last post comes close to what you originally stated and that members are calling you out on!