New
Find
Notify
Tools

My daughters first deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have enjoyed reading other's posts regarding kids and there hunting success. Now I can share mine.

My daughter shot her first deer. It was a learning experience for both of us. I think I learned the most. She moved too much and spooked a some deer she thought she was going to shoot "for sure." She was only going to shoot a buck, "because does make more deer," but after she had a close encounter and learned the hard way to move slowly and quietly- she really just wanted to get any deer. The first night we hunted she missed a doe just before dark and she was pretty bummed out, also the gun slipped off her shouder on to her bicep and when she shot the second time it hurt her arm and she was crying. Oh, and did I mention the first shot was off into outer space because she neglected to take off the safety and was getting so frazzled she thought there was something wrong with the gun, by the time she sorted it out--BANG, way over the doe. Always have the muzzle of the gun pointed in a safe direction. The perfect first hunting trip in my opinion, hunting teach us a great deal, and my thoughts were, yeah we get to keep hunting.

The next afternoon we went out again, we did not hunt in the morning because my daughter had a slumber party to attend after our previous evening hunt. Slumber parties are important to 10 year old girls by the way. We got out a little late as we had to stop a pick up snacks, gotta have snacks. Any way we arrive at our hunting spot and get settled into the blind. The first thing we did was practice some of the aiming out the windows at the various angles and made the required adjustments to get her comfortable.

We were hunting out of an elevated blind a friend of mine has on his property and it was the perfect set up for a first timer.

We were sitting for a little over an hour and Sophie say, "Let's play cards." We get ready to deal the cards on the 5 gallon bucket between us and I decide to look over my shoulder one more time and standing about 20 yards away is a deer. We immediately go into chinese fire drill mode as our card table was also what Sophie was going to sit on and I was sitting in front of the window she was going to shoot out of. We moved slowly and as quietly as we could to get in position. She got calmed down and started to say something about the trigger and I said "just squeeze it," she did, it worked.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The smile says it all.
Congrats to the young lady. tu2

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic. Alot of good lessons jn that first day that she will keep. Also great that you were willing to play cards and not be all hardcore about it. The goal is time in the woods with her, and whatever it takes..good for you both

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Sophie! Nothing better than hunting with your kids! Well, except maybe sitting beside them when they clobber a bruiser like that! I bet she is hooked for life!

Z

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Congrats. Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to the young hunter!!
Tell her nice Buck and good shootin'.
Congrats to you too dad, sometimes it's difficult to put a Deer and a kid and a bullet all together at the same time and make it happen good job.
You and your daughter are making memories and giving her an appreciation for the outdoors and it's rewards.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you both!!!

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the kind words.

It is a memory I will never forget, and I hope Sophie feels the same. I tried to make it as fun as possible and most importantly remain calm. There are so many things we take for granted when it comes to shooting and hunting for many many years. I'm learning to be a better parent. She learned that taking a life is not to be taken lightly. After the deer was down she said she was excited, "but I also feel kind of sad." I was glad to hear that.

I don't know if she is hooked on hunting or not but and but I plan to keep up my end.

She was using a Savage 11 hunter youth left-handed in 243 win.by the way.I got the scope gun package. This is an amazingly accurate gun. I reloaded a reduced load for practicing that has 4 holes touching at 75yrds and her hunting load was 90 gr ballistic tip "hunting" bullet sub moa.

The shot ended up being about 50yrds, destroyed the heart ran about 50 yards.

Have a great day.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Big congrats to the newest hunter! I have a feeling there will be a few more deer in her future!!

Sounds like a perfect shot!

Congrats again!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great job, Dad! Tell your daughter congratulations!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to both your daughter and you.

What part of north west Nebraska are you in. I hunted in the Pine Ridge area twice out from Crawford/Fort Robinson, beautiful country and really good deer, both white tails and mulies.

Being trying to get my act together and make at least one more trip up there before I get too old. Really enjoyed hunting the Soldier Creek Wilderness area. Caught some really nice brook trout on one of the hunts.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Excellent!

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Congrats to you and Sophie!

The patience and persistence paid off.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you and your daughter. Being with my sons for their first deer is one of the best memories of them growing up that I have. And don't worry about her not being thrilled with future trophies after shooting such a monster her first time out. My oldest shot one like that when he was 13 (his second deer) and he still gets pretty excited about putting does in the freezer.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job Dad !
I have a young lady coming on her first deer hunt this weekend. I hope she is as successful as Sophie !

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You always remember your firsts ! Great job.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Just fantastic!!!! and very nice buck to boot

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
What a nice buck! Please tell Sophie I said she should stick with hunting forever!

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting deer with your daughter, it doesn't really get any better than that!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To both of you: a big tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
outstanding

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic and a very nice deer.

My Daughter shot her first deer sitting in my lap........we both treasure that memory.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Well done young lady.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11250 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell the young lady congrats!!! on a fine buck. My daughter started deer hunting at 9 and is now 21. She still loves to go deer hunting, of course she no longer sits in the double person stand with me. She has her own stand set-up now. I can say I miss it.
Enjoy the one on one time with her, it passes way to quick.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Congrats to the both of you and that's great to see! Helluva nice deer, too. I always love to see kids being brought up learning the proper way to be a sportsman(woman!).

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote