Find
Notify
Tools

243/6mm and Deer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Time for a perennial favourite.

The US version of this story is:- friend rings up and says I'm thinking of getting a 6mm rem but I'd like to see how yours works first at ranges of 150-300yards on some of my big whitetail/muledeer(150-250 lbs gutted etc) on my (unfenced) ranch that's normaly booked years in advance for big $. Bring the 6mm I'll ask a nominal fee for the guide.

You have 5 days to work up a 100gr load and the only bullet available is 100gr sierra BTSP. Factory or other bullets are not an option where you live.

Do you

a) 'Wow thanks see you there now I'm off to the reloading room'

b) 'Sorry I don't consider this combination capable'

The actual UK scenario is red hinds (150-250lbs)on 'the hill' stationary shot broadside at range in open country.

[ 09-19-2003, 16:59: Message edited by: 1894 ]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How well does "friend" shoot? Seriously, there is nothing on this side of the pond (or your side for that matter) that a 6mm/100 gr combo won't kill. You just have to be choosey about which shots you'll take. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I certainly wouldn't feel naked with it. Get up an accurate load, around 2900 in the 243 or 3000 in the 6mm, go hunting. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I'd hit the reloading room, then the deer fields. When I was 17 I killed a nice 3X4 muley buck with my dad's 22-250 - one shot and down he went. Best choice? No, but it's what I had, so I was picky with my shot and killed a deer. Use what you have and enjoy your time in the field.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure, I would jump at the opportuninty. Having used the .243 and 100 grain Noslers for a number of years I know from experience that it will kill any deer walking if careful consideration is given to shot placement.
Having said that I will also say that from my experience sooner or later the .243 will fail on even a carefully placed shot. In my opinion it is a poor overall cartridge for deer, when there are so many others available that are better suited for the task.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Adam:

Do I read into your question that you have such an opportunity? If so, by all means take it! Your 6mm with a 100 grain Sierra pushed to 3100-3200 fps will take a red hind nicely. I wouldn't hesitate to take a forward-quartering shot straight through the shoulder -- the bullet may not exit the rear ham, but it will be doing major devastation when it explodes into the thoraxic cavity. If I could sneak a Nosler Partition into the place of the Sierra, I would be just a little more confident, but 95% of the advantage would be in my head.

The largest whitetail any of my group has ever killed fell to one shot from a .243 using the Sierra 100. The big buck (7+ years old with a 23" inch spread and nearly palmated antlers) fell to a single shot head on through the brisket. A red hind is no more difficult to down than a big whitetail.

Have fun!

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You wouldn't have to ask me twice about this opportunity! The 6mm is a highly underrated round, and will do way more damage than most people give it credit for. In this day and age of "megamagnums", premium bullets, oversized cases, etc...We mustn't forget the time tested rounds, such as .243, 30.06, the list goes on. By all means, spend some time experimenting in the reloading room, do your homework, and make the shot count! Best of Luck!!!

Posts: 217 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
The 6MM Remington has proven itself to me to be a splendid deer cartridge. A friend had one and it seemed like every shot was a winner. I don't ever remember seeing him have to take a second shot.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone who tells you that a 6mmRem with a 100 grain Sierra won't take a mule deer or whitetail, has not done it then. If he did and it failed to down the deer, I would tend to blame it on shot placement ( which,poor shot placement with any caliber will not instantly kill a deer), instead of the equipment's potential.

15 to 20 yrs ago, I use to get pissed at guys who carried such small calibers afield. However after watching them get some good size deer each year with their 6mm Remington, I quit listening to all the " experts" and started beleiving what I saw with my own eyes.

With the Sierra, I sure hate that they quite making their Semi Pointed 100 grain bullet. I found out about it, while they were still on the shelves at some stores, so I bought about 500 of them.

Once again, good thing the bullet and rifle do not listen to the " experts" and just go out and do their intended job, if the shooter does his./
Failure is usually more fault of the latter, tho most are too proud to ever admit it.
[Cool] [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

[ 09-20-2003, 15:53: Message edited by: seafire/ B17G ]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This opportunity arose due to a cancellation from a businessman who had to attend a meeting. Unfortunately for me the meeting is cancelled and so the trip is off......

[ 09-22-2003, 14:45: Message edited by: 1894 ]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote