New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nebraska Wolf
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The wolf killed in North East Nebraska was confirmed as a grey wolf. It was from Minnesota or that area. Not a Wyoming grey wolf!!!!! I was hoping we could give big red some more for miss riding hood! I guess we are not down one! [Confused]

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll take all ya got but I don't think our farmers and ranchers will share my enthusiasm!!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kudu56-

Lucky you. But they will be here too soon (actually several were this summer we believe).

In the meantime, how did they confirm it to be a MN wolf? I think that's reasonable, given the location, but how do they know? I'm presuming DNA sequencing, but have not heard if there is an identifiable difference.

Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a wolf killed in central/northcentral Nebraska just after the first of the year and they (Fed Fish & Game) did DNA the animal and once they got the results back they arrested the shooters.

They were members of a "coyote club" and they split the fine and one or two guys, I don't recall, took the hit on the criminal record.

About a month ago I saw a photograph and IT DEFINATELY WAS A WOLF! I still think they got a real bad deal and should have hired an attorney. I think the public sentement would have changed things. However, they paid the fine quick and dropped it. They also got plenty of the ole' you could do 20 years in a federal prision etc. Oh well, I guess they thought it was an OK deal.

Good Hunting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am glad they shot it. I feel the guys got a raw deal also. They shuold have pled ignorance and went to trial with a jury. The wolf has been reclassified according to friends in Wy. No longer endangerd, threatend I think. Oh well! One down 1249 to go. Visit the Nebraska Game and Parks forum and look for the postings.

Posts: 11 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 March 2003Reply With Quote
<WyomingSwede>
posted
Be glad that the feds dont drop a couple packs in the sand hills and say "They wont leave the park...and they only eat elk" "Kiss our fanny for what you bordering states think. We are the almighty feds and we know whats good for you."

The fed policy on wolves is a national disgrace. Treehuggers are us. Put a season on them and let that be an end to it.

swede

moc.murofsmraerifehT

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you swede! They (the feds) bent us over and stuck it in deep! It is no wonder there is so much hatred and distrust! They are saying the delisting will take another year. We will have in excess of 1000 wolves by then at conservative estimates. I guess we can export more of them so no one has any deer or elk! [Mad]

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gotta admit that I never heard about a wolf being killed here in Nebr. I know of two mountain lions. My question is not why they killed the thing, but why did anybody kill and tell! You're right about the ranchers, my family that ranches in the central sandhills looses enough calves to coyotes! I can't imagine a wolf pack would last long unless they were walking them around on a leash.
Steve

Posts: 81 | Location: nebr. usa | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This may not be an accident as we had a grey wolf shot by a bowhunter last fall near Trenton, Mo. Our Conservation Dept said it was tagged in Minnesota or Michigan, I can't remember which. I hope the wolves stay where they're at, as I've seen the wonders of wolf intros in Wyo and Idaho.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote