Notify
Tools

weatherby ultralightweights
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted
Any thoughts on these rifles?

I have been looking at two of these. Both are used in great shape.

One is a 240 wby mag with a pentax 3x9 lightseeker

the other is a 257 wby mag with a 3x10 weaver grand slam

They are $825 each. I have thought about getting them both.

My plan was to get a 270 ruger lightweight with a compact leupold for sheep hunting and a 308 in ?rifle? with a leupold vx-11 3x9 for target shooting. But for the same price I could have the WBYs.

I reload so the caliber choices are fine with me.

I have never owned a WBY rifle before.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RMILLER, I have 4 Weatherby ulwts in various calibers and think they are hard to beat for a light and accurate hunting rifle. They are a pleasure to carry and would be perfect for sheep hunting. I wish I could get the opportunity to use mine for that purpase someday.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 300 Wby Magnum in the ultralight series. I really liked the rifle itself but accuracy was mediocre. Any idea how they shoot (if they are from a private party)?

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got one in .280 Rem with a 2.5-8X Leupold. It's been accurate right out of the box. Federal 150 partitions will group well under an inch at 100 yds. Handloads are the same or better.
With four rds, the scope and a light nylon sling it weighs in at 6 pounds 15 ounces. A JOY to carry.
I've never been a big Wby fan,this is my first one that I have kept and it's been a great rifle.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
HI
Shoot it before you buy.Mine shot 4 inch groups out of the box.For a 1000.00 it should have shot 1/2 inch groups.

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I did get them both. But I do get to shoot them first to make sure they work. I am going to shoot them this weekend.

Temp should go up to 0 to -10 this weekend. Right now it is -20 or -30.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
The 257 zeroed at 300yds shoots a 100gr bullet 7.7 inches low at 400yds. The 30-378 zeroed at 300yds shoots a 180gr bullet 7.5 inches low at 400yds. Hardly enough to worry about.

According to Accurate Arms Recoil tables the 257WBY kicks less than a 308win shooting 168gr bullets.

RECOIL

Notice those numbers are based on two 8.5lb rifles so the ultralight will kick harder.

I suspect you'll like it. The cartridge has potential.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I plan on using 85 TSX bullets in the 240 and 100 TSX bullets in the 257. These should be about 3400 or so in each.

My other rifle is a 300 ultra So they will make good practice guns too.

My practice loads for them are 100 and 120 hornadys at 3000 fps.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!