New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Bullet Performance
 Login/Join

<Lars G>
posted
This is intended to be a continuation of the "Nosler .338 Bullet Performance" thread started some time ago. If my graphics work correctly, I will get some scanned images of my recovered NP bullets.

<Lars G>
posted
Hey - what do you know, it worked!!! So here's my notes:

#1 - .30 cal 200 gr partition. .30-06. From a Alaskan Sitka Blacktail (SBT) doe. Stem-to-stern show recovered at tail.

#2 - .30 cal 200 gr Barnes Original. 300 Win. Broadside at about 75 yds. From biggest SBT buck I've ever shot. That's bone embedded in the lead core.

#3 - .338 cal 250 gr NP. Shot from .338 Win at MV of 2,550 fps. From big SBT buck. Head-on/quartering towards at 25 yds. Thru brisket and found on opposide shoulder. Busted/shattered opposite "knee." Bullet must of tumbled due to damage in rear core.

#4 - .338 cal 250 gr NP. Same rifle and vel as #3. SBT doe. Stem-to-stern. Was supposed to be a neck shot. Exited neck but re-entered and drove along back and found near tail.

#5 - Same bullet and rifle as #3 & #4. SBT buck I took this year. Quartering towards at 25 yds. Found in 0pposite shoulder.

Fire away with you questions and comments.

<Bill>
posted
thanks for sharing the photos Lars

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any photos to share but in my experience I have never had a Nosler Partition fail me....just about 100% of the time the bullet, if recovered weighs about 65% of what it was when fired. Most recent was with a 300gr Nosler Partition into the front chest of a buff at about 45-50 yards. Broke the neck and buff dropped like a rock bullet weighed 201+ grains...only bullet recovered this last trip. Thru and thru on a broadside kudu, same on a zebra, same on a running warthog except in went in the back and out the front, plus a quartering shot on a sable (200+ yards) followed up by a going away shot. Also 100% penetration on a leopard...in the chest out the back. What's not to like...all bullets had a mv of 2550 fps.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
My experience is roughly the same as DB Bills. I have taken 2 big CA Pigs, 1 Kudu, 1 Eland, 1 busbuck, 1 Zebra, 1 waterbuck, and 4 Impala all with NP in 338 210 or 358 225. Only recovered 1 of each with about 65% weight retention. 1 broke both shoulder of the Eland and stopped under the hide and one wnet 3/4 the length of Kudu from the back end and stopped under the hide in the front brisket

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lars G:
#2 - .30 cal 200 gr Barnes Original. 300 Win. Broadside at about 75 yds. From biggest SBT buck I've ever shot. That's bone embedded in the lead core.

So, you're saying you shot a deer(!) broadside at 75 yards with a .300 WinMag and DIDN'T get complete pass-through??? To me that's more amazing than your pictures (which look good, by the way). Were you shooting reduced loads or something?

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Lars G>
posted
RSY - What I posted about the .30 cal 200 gr Barnes is correct. This was some time ago - one of the first years I started handloading. My 300 Win was an enigma at first. I used 180 gr factory silvertips at first (nearly 20 years ago.) These simply blew up on impact on broadside shots at close range. After that, I went to 250 gr Barnes (original) factory loads. Never recovered any of these.

Due to its massive expanded diameter (over 1" in its largest dimension) the Barnes original bullet failed to penetrate much. A big blacktail buck is probably 14-16" thru the chest. You just can't have this type of expansion and deep penetration. There's always a trade-off (compromise) between the two.

After my 200 gr phase, I went to 220 gr (.30 cal) NP's in my 300 Win and never recovered a single one. Why so heavy you may ask? Because of Brown bear country - you always need to be overgunned for deer, just in case of Bruno.

Just my observation - the .30 cal 200 gr partition will outpenetrate the .338 cal 250 gr partition. Equal SD's, but the frontal diameters make the .30 cal go deeper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lars G:

Just my observation - the .30 cal 200 gr partition will outpenetrate the .338 cal 250 gr partition. Equal SD's, but the frontal diameters make the .30 cal go deeper.

Really interesting. Thank you for that. Any experience on Barnes "X" bullets?

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never had a problem with a Nosler bullet and they kill well and leave blood trails..The out penitrate most any other bullet with a lead core and some monolithics, depends.....

Most of todays premium bullet work well.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41858 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Nosler Partitions are an excellent bullet. I still load them in a couple of rifles and they always seem to work great. Even all the premiums that you can buy these days at the extra price still compare or use nosler partitions as a standard in the premium line up.

Happy Hunting

Posts: 182 | Location: Okotoks, Alberta | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a picture of a 180 gr Nosler partition recovered from a moose. The moose was quartering away at about 25 yard. The bullet struck broke the two rearwardmmost leftside ribs and was found in the rightside chest just ahead of the shoulder-about 4 feet of moose. Both lungs were scrambled and he died within 50 yards. The only reason he went that far was because he was running flat out. I was using a .300 win mag and muzzle velocity was 2997 fps. 49% wt retention.

[This message has been edited by Mauser98 (edited 12-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mauser98 (edited 12-16-2001).]

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bill. I appreciate your help. I had the brackett in the wrong spot. It's fixed now. The front half of that Nosler must have acted like a grenade after it came apart on the ribs.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
No problem,

Thanks for sharing the picture

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com