THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Playing Hide and Seek with a Polar Bear

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Playing Hide and Seek with a Polar Bear
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted
I received these photos in my inbox this morning. I have no idea of the background or who the person in the photo is, and do not know the story behind it or if it is true. It looks like the guy is a photographer perhaps?

There is a photo remaining of the "alleged" victim in the hospital with some nasty scratches and scrapes, but I decided not to post it.

Moral of the story: When photographing bears, carry a gun.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong but I think they're from Kaktovik, up in the NE corner of Ak. The pickup looks vaguely familiar as the one used by the flying service up there. Yes, there are polar bears up there that regularly go into town. I too have seen these photos but have forgotten who sent them to me.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Here's a couple more.

Polar bear at Barrow airport:

Polar bear trying to get onto Barrow football field:

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
The thing that gets me with those first photos is that another photographer is snapping pics while the other guys is being chased around by a polar bear. If they were friends, sure would seem to weaken their friendship.

"Jim, HELP!"

"You're doing great Steve, just keep running around. I'm getting some great photos. I'm sure the bear will stop eventually."

... if you had a gun near by, sure would be a great way to bag a polar bear without having to pay for a guide and trophy fee.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
shoot it? are you kidding ?their endangered.

Better to have a 44 and not need it. Roll Eyes

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I thought having a coon in my blind was a harrowing experience.

If they're endangered, why is that guy chasing one around his truck?

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb:
shoot it? are you kidding ?their endangered.

JB, I'm not sure of the context of your post, but polar bear is a legal animal to hunt. I didn't mean I intended to hunt them in the fashion mentioned above (using my buddy as bait), but I hope one days to have the means to afford to hunt a polar bear.
http://www.safari1.com/northamerica/polarbear.html
http://www.huntingreport.com/hunting_article_list.cfm?a...r,%20Polar%20Hunting
http://www.jeffcnealinc.com/northAmerica_Canada.html

I appologize JB if I read your post out of context.

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
The thing that gets me with those first photos is that another photographer is snapping pics while the other guys is being chased around by a polar bear. If they were friends, sure would seem to weaken their friendship.

"Jim, HELP!"

"You're doing great Steve, just keep running around. I'm getting some great photos. I'm sure the bear will stop eventually."

... if you had a gun near by, sure would be a great way to bag a polar bear without having to pay for a guide and trophy fee.

rotflmo

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 893 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:

but polar bear is a legal animal to hunt. but I hope one days to have the means to afford to hunt a polar bear.

I appologize JB if I read your post out of context.

I was attempting to be humourous.But if you want to hunt polar bears,you better hurry.the "global warming bear huggers" are on the way,in fact,it may already be too late.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/05/14/earlyshow/main4095357.shtml

http://www.polarbearsos.org/

https://community.hsus.org/campaign/FED_2007_polar_bear_trophy2

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22541038/

http://www.hsus.org/marine_mammals/a_closer_look_at_mar...ect_polar_bears.html

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
The photo is definately a F#@* Me moment!

shocker

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MuskegMan:
Here's a couple more.

Polar bear at Barrow airport:

Talk about giving a bit of a size perspective! That bear is huge!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb:
I was attempting to be humourous.But if you want to hunt polar bears,you better hurry.the "global warming bear huggers" are on the way,in fact,it may already be too late.

JB, I'm sorry I read your post out of context. You never can tell if someone is being humerous or serious through text.

If the whole "stop polar bear hunting" thing does go through, using my buddy as bait may just become the only way I'll be able to shoot a polar bear.
Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
the first pics with buddy taking pics reminds of the old joke a bear chasing 2 people one stops to put on pair of running shoes and other stops and ask why you can't out run that bear and the other says i don't have to i only have to out run you

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
If I was the one being chased, I'd think very seriously about shooting the sonofab*tch that was just standing there taking pictures of the whole thing and not doing anything to help. One more reason to carry a pistol when in bear country.

fishing

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote