Notify
Tools

Re: Off-Color Black Bear Hunt ?????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
Bill,

The images below are all bear killed about an hour north of Prince George, BC. The first four are from last year's spring hunt. The last two are ones I killed a few years ago -- same place, same outfitter.

Not only are there plenty of color phases, but the bears are large. Also, many of them have very distinct white blazes across the upper chest.

This is all spot-&-stalk hunting. No sitting all day in a stand over some steenkin bait.

If you want outfitter info, send me a private message here. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That fellow in the next to last and last photo (with the double), do you recall what rifle he is holding? Calibre etc?
thx

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post

Quote:

do you recall what rifle he is holding?

Sure, I do. As I said in the other message:

The last two are ones I killed a few years ago -- same place, same outfitter. < !--color-->

It was prior to gray hair and beard.

The rifle is a Browning A-Bolt in .338 WM. The one I'm holding in the top photo from last year's hunt is a Mod. 70 in .264 WM. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Fred Sontag Outfitters in Sask. He runs a good operation and has better than 40% off color. I shot a nice chocolate colored bear and could have killed bears every night I sat on the stand. He has a website. Nice camp and he only takes a limited amount of hunters and is out baiting everyday.

twilli

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote