THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Can Someone Explain Antler Scoring in a Step By Step Method

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can Someone Explain Antler Scoring in a Step By Step Method
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I often hear about 140 or 160, or 180 class deer and never am able to fully understand how that number is calculated. Only thing I can imagine is measuring the total length of main beams and then adding length of forks off the main, and somehow the diameter gets added in.
I am sure that I am not the only hunter that could use a little educating on this subject.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
This is from the Boone & Crockett site, hope it helps.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/...pical+Whitetail+Deer

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
#1 reason 125 class bucks turn into 145 class bucks

incorrect addition....math

the outside spread and tip to tip do not get used in the score

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first link will help you the best.

quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
#1 reason 125 class bucks turn into 145 class bucks

incorrect addition....math

the outside spread and tip to tip do not get used in the score

I'd say the #1 reason why bucks "grow" is because of ego and lies. Inch chasing tends to bring out the worst in many individuals and even clubs.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Even harder is hunting land with a request that you shoot only 125+, 150+ or whatever bucks. For those of us who do not count inches... it can be hard to know what is supposed to be a shooter. Much easier if told shoot any spikes or anything over 8 points.

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never measured any animal I have shot.It is immaterial as I derive my satisfaction from the hunt,who I hunt with, and eating the game.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
I never measured any animal I have shot.It is immaterial as I derive my satisfaction from the hunt,who I hunt with, and eating the game.

***My kinda guy Big Grin