New
Find
Notify
Tools

your fawn crop
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The past 2 years in S.TX. we have had less than a 7% fawn crop. Needless to say I was elated to see a set of twins and 2 singles at the ranch yesterday. We have had 72 inches of rain since this week last year, that is 3 times our annual average. Grass and weeds are 3 feet tall! Bad news is the bucks are gonna be hard to find and even harder to sneak up on, no prone shots thats for sure.
With all the rain I am REALLY looking forward to shooting some quail and REALLY looking forward to grilling them.

How are ya'lls hunting forecasts?

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
I'm in the Hill Country, Perry and we just finished up our surveys and it looks like our fawn to doe ratio is right at .5. Of course I'd like it to be a bit higher but it's better than last year. Seeing a bunch of twins on the cameras but they seemed to disappear for the surveys.

To boot, we whacked a bunch of Does last year and got our Doe:Buck ratio from 2.2:1 to 1.5:1. For bucks, this year will be good but it should get much better next year and the following for us, barring any drought of course!

The turkey crop, by all accounts, is fantastic this year, but unfortunately the pigs have really moved in. Haven't had much of a noticeable impact yet but I suppose they'll start causing problems soon, so we'll need to get after 'em.

All in all, I'm fairly optimistic about our prospects!

Good luck this year!

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fawn crops of Deer and Antelope in Central and North Central Montana are low. I wish I had a ratio...I can make a guess for the ranches I have visited.

Antelope fawns were low...I'd guess less than 1/2. Twins were rare. Overall populations are well below objective as reflected in the permits issued

Mule Deer fawns were low...I'd say below 1/2 with some twins. Overall populations are below objective...the area (Region 4) is closed to mulie doe hunting without special tag.

Whitetail Deer fawns...average (2/3) but twins were lower than usual. Overall populations are at or above objective.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry, I don't know where you hunt, but in the Alice/George West area our deer are more like opromises supports. They breed ALOT as long as someone else is paying for it. Based on my fawn production the last few years, I do not expect to see many, if any, single fawn does. We feed alot all year long and it has had a huge effect on the breeding and times the does get bred. I'll be seeing fawns w/ spots into late October, if not November. We just got another 2-3 inches of rain and dove season has not even started yet so we'll likely get more. I expect to see some big deer come out of S. TX this year. It was green all the way to Zapata in August and that's unusual.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
aliveincc
I hunt in Frio and Atascosa counties. Our range conditions from the drought is what got us the last two years. The fawns had no where to hide from the coyotes. In good years we always have more twins than singles. Hopefully our herd can rebound this year. We trapped 106 coyotes on 10,000 acres this Spring, that should help some.
On the upside our trail cameras are showing lots of promise. The antlers have lots of mass and stickers.

Out of curiosity, what is "opromises supports" you speak of???

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote