New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on a 9.3x74R double rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I own enough guns now to buy for the fun of it. I am thinking about an EAA O/U double rifle in a 9.3X74R. You can get this gun in a reasonable walnut stock for about $500. Anyone have load data or actual experience with this load? Thanks, Tom.

Posts: 116 | Location: Bay City, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Vasa>
posted
optik,

I checked EAAs website (www.eaacorp.com), the double rifle you refer to is the IZH-94. The 9.3x74R chambering is not listed, but I have seen it listed elsewhere. The 9.3x74R is an excellent round and there is lots of load data available (Barnes, A2, Norma, etc.). The IZH double is commonly referred to as Baikal in some countries. The Baikals (Russian made) are strong but rather crude guns, 25years ago the quality of them was much better. The IZH double has 'free floating' barrels whose regulation can be adjusted by the shooter - same concept as on e.g. the Valmet/Tikka. You can find a slightly used Valmet/Tikka for around $1000, and it is a good quality double and a much better buy for your money.

Vasa

one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand this is about a limited budget.

In spite of this, consider a Merkel or Heym S/S. 9.3x74R will do anything walking the Americas at close range ( < 180 m ).

Have fun! Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Sauenj�ger>
posted
Hallo Hunter,

if you know a Merkel or a Heym O/U for 500 or even 1000$ then tell me.
Even the old one with not adjustable barrels you can't get for this price if they are not scrap.

Best regards

<Kimmo E>
posted
Why not a Tikka/Valmet 412 or 512?
Maybe with shotgun barrels to.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an IZH double in 30.06 that picks it's own point of impact depending, I guess, on how things are doing in the old country. I certainly doesn't seem to have anything to do with what I do to it.
EAA was absolutely rude when I asked them about adjusting the point of impact. Don't go there. Buy a Valmet.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I fully understand what the initial point was, and that I recommended something more expensive. It was my honest opinion.

If you have your O/U and look at it ... you will ask the same question again. Do it right the first time, wait, collect some money. You get what you pay for!

Have fun! Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote