Find
Notify
Tools

She's getting a 300!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted
After all the help and advice I was given on here about what type of gun I should get my girlfriend, we finally went to the range.

Before the first shot, I have to say that she was one nervous puppy holding my 300 win mag but after the first shot her first words were, "That s not bad at all" (with a very suprised face).

That was shortly followed by, "where is the rest of the ammo?!".

So, the rest of the day was a success and I can't thank you guys enough for your posts encouraging her to give it a try.

If you have any recommendations for what type of 300 WSM to look at now,I am open ears.

Thanks again......Here's a pic from shooting.

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
clap thumb

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jumping

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't get her a 300WSM get her a 300WinMag just like yours.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First of all if thats your girlfriend your a very lucky or rich man. Theres just something about a girl with a gun that just does it for me. Anyway i love the WSM but i think a regular .300winmag would be perfect. Im partial to savage, winchester and ruger. They all have pros and cons. Best thing to do is take her along to your local gun shop. Have her hold a few diffrent brands models ect. And let her make the dicision on "her" rifle. Cause she has to be totally satisfied. I would steer clear of wood stocked rifles though, because of ruggedness of synthetic. If its her first firearm there are bound to be an oops or two. Oh and from a persenal request... when she is holding those guns at the shop maby take some pics and hit me back thumb Wink

Well polish my balls and serve me a milkshake!

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am completely with Allan on this one. If she was comfortable shooting your .300 Winchester Magnum why get her a short mag? In fact, if she was comfortable shooting a .300 Winchester Magnum, read your rifle, the answer is right there before you. Get her a duplicate of your rifle.

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
She shot your rifle. She didn't carry it through the woods for a couple of miles or up a mountain. Have her do that with your .300 Winnie and then see if she wants it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Critter_Killer, good to see someone else that likes the Savage!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
jumping cheers

Critter Killer is right on. She's ok on recoil then let her pick the one that she likes. How one feels in your hands is important. Do warn her though about going to a lighter rifle for carrying's sake. Just cause it's easier to carry doesn't mean it's gonna be easier to shoot. Really, a standard weight rifle isn't as big of a deal when your young and in decent shape.( or just stubborn Wink) I've backpacked with a Win 70 Supergrade with a 3x10x50 for miles and in the Rockies, so if she likes the heavier rifle and your going to the hills get some exercise first.! Big Grin

Congrats for finding a good one! Woman that is! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go 300 mag in a CDL. Great shooter, great to look at and easy on the shoulder.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since your rifle is a 300 Wim Mag and the 3200WSM offers the same ballistics I would get her a 300 Win. It simplifies things ikf both of yhou have the same caliber.

I would take her to a couple of gunstores and let her handle a few rifles.
Let her pick one that fits her.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Get her an engagement ring before the rifle, then see what she really wants! You are a lucky man, and she is undoubtedly a lucky woman. Use the same caliber (.300 Win) as it will prevent confusion in the future.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
Get her the engagement ring before she gets away, give her your rifle so can get a new one and then take her on a hunt for your honeymoon.

How good it get any better?

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have any recommendations for what type of 300 WSM to look at now, I am open ears.
Like the others I'd pass on the WSM, unlike the others I'd also pass on any 300 magnum. You've got a good thing going here but sooner or later your girlfriend is going to get a sore shoulder (probably around the first time she shoots the magnum without hearing protection). I say buy her a nice 260 or a 270 (as other have mentioned the new M700 CDL is very attractive, handles well, and comes with an excellent recoil pad). Put a 2-7x scope on it in much lower rings than those on your rig so she doesn't have to lift her cheek from the stock to look through the scope. Oh yeah, and buy her a set of eletronic hearing protectors so she never has to fire any rifle without hearing protection on. $0.02

one of us
posted Hide Post
Magnum61
One thing you might think about is getting her a Blaser R 93 in 300 Wim Mag AND get her another barrel in 223.
The 223 is fun [no recoil] and fairly cheap to shoot.
My wife likes hunting with a Blaser R 93.
For practic an d for small game including turkeys we use the 223 bbl. At the deer lease she used the 308 bbl.
If we hunt sometyhing far away we use the 300 Win Mag bbl, and for something BIG we use a 375 H&H bbl.
We also have a 28ga. shotgun bbl that has taken quail, rabbits, squirrel, ducks, grouse and turkey.

Thus she would be shooting the "same rifle" all the time, just with the right bbl for the job.

WARNING.... WARNING....
If you get one for her, YOU WILL have to have one for yourself.
Which is great as ya'll can share barrels.

This is what I recommend you really do.

So I would take a look at the Blaser. People either love them, or hate them.
There just does not seem to be any middle ground when it comes to the Blaser R 93.

Check out www.blaserpro.com

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like my .300WM better than my .270 - I feel like I shoot it better. Your girlfriend appears to be fairly petite - as I am, so believe me when I tell you that the .300 is not too much if she says it isn't. I can shoot as much through mine as I want without any problem as far as recoil is concerned. I do shoot mine with a brake - my choice and I don't want to hear a bunch of bs about it. I use the EAR protection and don't hear any difference in noise. JMO

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a great photo. Look at the enthusiasm on that girls face! You are indeed a lucky man. Hey is her mom single? Ah, never mind. Oh, ya, the rifle. I have a Kimber .300 short mag that I really enjoy. Light, classy french walnut stock, accurate. She might really like one after carrying it around for a while.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
Everyone- Yeah, I have to say I'm pretty lucky. She's been a good sport about all fo the outdoor and shooting we've done whether she liked it or not but there hasn't been a lot of "nots".

The only reason I'm considering the WSM is because most of those guns that are chambered in that seem to fit her a little more than a long action rifle and the weights seem to be abit better for her.

Her heart is set on a gun that resembles the Rem 700 LSS Mtn. Rifle., something about that carmel laminated stock on stainless that she likes more than anything but she's open to any suggestions.

I'm hoping for a Kimber with a nice 3.5-10 VX-III with a B&C reticle but we'll see, she's picky.

On a final note, she has begun to feel her oats a little more easily now so that has made most of my buds not like to talk to her about guns now because most of those men are timid about 150's in a 270 win. And...she wants a swing at my buddies 338 Ultra now, I think I've created a monster.

Critter-Killer- She was a little aprehensive of any more photos going up but if I get any good ones I'll post them in a thread.

gotogirl3- Nice to have a female perspective and especially one that swings a 300 also.

cobrad- Sorry, parents are happily married and to say the least she is definately her fathers daughter all around except for the family tradition of everyone having some model of a Remington 7600 in a 30-06. She's a bolt girl now, family black sheep I guess.

Here's another pic for the fun of it...

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that I my new .375H&H is due in any time now. I would never have gone for it without having the .300 first. If you/she are interested, there was a thread a couple months back in the Medium Bore forum "my new gun" that talks about it. Good luck!

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Ah, very nice pics. Looks like you have a winner there.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2603 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My daughter has a .300 win mag in a M70 and had no trouble - killed a zebra after two days of hunting and carrying it. She will do fine, better than most of us fat dads.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sweet lass!
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Unless she plans on making kill shots beyond 300 yards a regular event, get her a 30.06 or 308. Ligher rifles, cheaper ammo, easier to find ammo and less abuse. Most people, men and womem, will shoot and 30.06/308 better than a 300 mag, especially if extended range sessions are reviewed.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magnum61

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
BHW-

She actually is ok with a hunt on our honeymoon if there is ever one. The only stipulation is that the hunt can't be more than half of the duration of the honeymoon.

After she told me that her next question was, "Is there any hunting in New Zealand?"