Find
Notify
Tools

7MM Mag fails me again...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
six bits,
If the 7mm S&H is the daddy then his offspring grew up a lot bigger. Case capacity of the S&H is 77.40 and the 7 Rem Mag is 83.19. If a mag interest you, go with the one with the horsepower = case capacity.

If you take a look at the Nosler reloading manual it shows the 175 grain (not 170) topping out at 2970 fps. Not too bad. You might want to reconsider.

[ 07-14-2002, 11:10: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aim on the shoulders.
All of my boars went down imediately, and the bullet has enough time to expand,by passing the bones and meet-packages.
Maybe you won�t have an exit wound with u�r 7mm, but all the ebergy will stay in the heart,lung zone.

by the way:
A friend of mine is uising a 7mm Rem Mag too, and the results on roes with a 10,5g KS Bullet is really worse compared to my .30-06 (even on distances over 220m !).
He never had a chance to take a boar, but i told him to get a harder bullet, because with that bullet speed and on distances up to 80 meters and the KS Bullet, i think it�s not a good combo for hunting bores in wooden areas.

So i hope you get back to the forum and tell us some more about your result when you found the failure or when using a different bullet type, okay?

cheers
Konstantin

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<RickMD>
posted
From my experience I have never found any cartridge to be magical. For game animals under 300 pounds I've found that they fall the same if I wack 'em with a .257 Roberts or my .416 Taylor. Dead is dead. Shot placement is everything. I have no experience with the 7mm Remington, but have had excellent results from my 7x57 AI with those "cheap" 139 grain Hornadys.

<toto>
posted
I used to load the 140nos.bt in my 7mag. never had a problem with the hogs here in Texas. I now load the 150 nos.bt, which I'm sure will work as well. fws

one of us
posted Hide Post
Six bits,

I suggest you check out the latest issue of Shooting Times. Layne Simpson does a beautiful piece on the 7MM Rem. Mag. and it started life as a .338 Win Mag. necked down and name .280 magnum.

Layne seemed to think that the 160 was one of the better weights for the 7MM Rem. and big heavy game like elk. I would vote for the tougher premium bullet too.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
<JHook>
posted
""""""""""How can it be that I repetedly see this caliber failing so miserably, or maybe it is the Nosler partitions that are ALL a bad batch?

I dont want to say the 7mm is crap, but iit has tried it's very hardest to convince me of it. """""""""

I suggest you stop reading gunrag articles and gunrag Ads "arent they the same" ?. And then go out and by yourself something ".30 something" and load it with 200 grn I-locks, Deep shoks, Gamekings, or the like. And then go fill the freezer with pork.

You can melt down that 7mm Rem-mag and use the metal as fishing weights, or use it as a 1000 yrd gophergun................................................................."ducking"...............J

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 7mm mag is an accurate and lethal rifle. Put down a 700 - 800 pound 6x6 Wyoming bull elk with one shot through the heart/lung area from 180 yards. The 175 Nosler went in the front chest area, just ahead of the shoulder/leg, penetrated several feet of elk, and exited making about a .45 caliber hole in the hide. Bull took a few faltering steps, and collapsed as dead as they get. That's the biggest game I've taken with the 7mm mag and it succumbed very quickly. I didn't expect the bullet to knock the animal over, just to kill it quickly, and it did. I've heard a few folks complain about the 7mm mag, but mostly I've seen trophy rooms filled. I chose it as my big game cartridge after careful consideration of long-range accuracy, lethality, and relatively low recoil. My two cents worth. Am new to this forum. Regards, Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote