New
Find
Notify
Tools

162 gr SSTs for elk
 Login/Join

<FarRight>
posted
Wow! Long time no see guys! I didn't know I was still registered here! I had trouble getting in here for a little while and just assumed I was no longer registered here.
Anyways. Some people probably remember me asking about A-bolts and stuff last time I was here. I ended up with a Remington Model 700 BDL-LH Custom Deluxe in 7mm Rem Mag. I put a 4.5-14x40AO Leupold on it. Funny, I don't feel underarmed, even though I was shootin for a .300 Win. Beautiful gun too.
I now have a load worked up with a 160 grain Partition over a max load of Hodgens H870. This powder has been discontinued so after hunting season, I will be working out a new load.
Problem with Partitions is that they are so damn expensive. I really intend to do alot of shooting this summer--need to get good with my new rifle. I don't know if I can afford the Partitions. So I am looking for a cheaper alternative and came up with the 162 gr Hornady SST. Would you use these for elk?
Have any other suggestions for elk bullets in a 7 Mag that don't cost $.43 a pop? OR is this another "get what you pay for situation?'

one of us
posted Hide Post
FarRight,

Where did you find the 162 gr. SST's? I haven't been able to find any. I personally haven't taken any game other than springbok with the 139 gr. SST (all I have tried), but I think it's a quality bullet. It seems to be tougher than the ballistic tips, and I think it would be even more so in the 162 gr. That being said, I have a hard time hunting with anything but the 175 gr. Nosler partition at 3000 fps. It works good every time.

Let me know what you find out with the SST's. I do love Hornady bullets, and I am very curious what you find.

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
<FarRight>
posted
jrslate, I don't have any yet. I saw them listed in Hornady's website. I couldn't find em for sale initially either so I wrote to Hornady and asked a) if the .284 cal 162 gr SST really existed and b) if he would use em for elk in a 7mm Rem Mag. He replied "yes" on both accounts.

Midway lists them:
http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/414978

I just wanted an opinion from someone who maybe had experience with em and didn't stand to make a profit from me using them. As you can see, they are less than half the price of the Partitions. And a BC of .550 is very impressive.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't mean to sound like a smart a$$, but do you really want to jeopardize your time and money already invested in the elk hunt for forty-three cents? Buy the partitions or some such quality bullet. Just one less thing to worry about.

posted Hide Post
I've been shooting the 162 sst bullest since they've come out. i bought mine at natchez shooting supply a few months ago. I've been loading them on top of 72 gr. of H1000 and using a WLRM primer. I don't know what the velocity of them are since I don't own a chrony. I am not getting any type of pressure signs with this load and I am getting consistant .875 to 1" 3-shot groups at 100 yds. I am shooting them in a browning a-bolt with a 26" barrel. I've taken only one deer and one coyote with them since the hunting season has been open. I shot a cowhorn spike right at 50-60 yds, 142 lbs live weight, hitting him in the chest. The bullet exited between the last 2 ribs on the far side. The exit wound was approximately the size of a golf ball. Now the bullet made a complete mess of the insides, everything was like jelly. The coyote was about 75 yds from me whenever i spotted him. I took a chest shot on him because that is all i could get. The bullet travel the whole length of the animal and exited in the left side hind leg. There was just a little bit of hide holding the leg to the rest of the body. So far I like what I've seen with these bullets but that is only 2 animals shot with them. If i were you i would target practice with cheap bullets and shoot the partitions or x-bullets at elk just to be on the safe side. That is just my opinion and what I would do if I were going on an elk hunt.

Posts: 13 | Location: turbeville, sc u.s.a. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote