Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of moki
posted
I have seen game shot and shot game myself from 300 to 600 yards. The majority of our shots are within 100 to 250 yards though but we are prepared for the long one if they are the only shots that are available. I personally have practiced by firing over 500 rifle rounds so far this year. The smallest cartridge is a 6mm-284 on up to a 300RUM, 45/70 and now a 375RUM.

I totally understand and agree with what you are saying and most people that take these kinds of shots shouldn't take them but myself and the fellows I shoot with have practiced alot in order to make these shots possible.

The main resposability of the shooter is that if the weather conditions are not perfect "DON'T" take a shot that you cannot be sure of. Also use a gun/cartridge that has enough energy/accuracy at those distances to make a clean kill.
Cam

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunterfisher,
I have used the Tbbc bullets in my .308 winnie and used them successfully on deer. They are probably better used fon bigger game. I never recovered one yet out of deer.
Did I read right???? Killing deer out to 560 yards???
First I can guarantee you if you would hit one with your .270 at that range, it will not open up worth a damn and act more as a solid.
You just opened up a serious can of worms with that comment.
You know what wind drift is at that range?
You know that wind drift at long range is more of a problem then bullet drop?? A true recipe for crippling shots.
You know that mis-estimating distance by 25 yards can be a miss or broken leg?
Under what field conditions can you pull off a certain killing shot at that range??
Don't play "SNIPER" with big game.
Big game animals are not terrorists and deseve better then a sniper "hit" some where centre body. They deserve a fast clean kill.
Moreover, I bet that on your paid deer hunt most kills are well below 150 yards.

Posts: 101 | Location: Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote