New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you say??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
That's right, I am 49 years old and going deaf. I have hearing aids for both ears and they suck in the wind. I am also told by my ear doctor that I shouldn't wear them hunting. The muzzle blast could blow the whatchamacallit.
My question is, do any of you know of a good pair of muffs that will help in the field with my hearing loss. I have checked out the Walker Power Muffs and I have found nothing but bad reports.
Thanks

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a whole lot of advice for you, buddy. We are in the same boat, so to speak (huh?). I have one hearing aid, but can't wear it in the wind for the same reasons you can't. I am thinking about trying a Walkers Game Ear, not the muffs. It would be a whole lot cheaper than the hearing aid, which cost about a grand. Let me know if you find something that works well for you. Here is the Cabelas page that applies. Hope this helps in your shopping.
Cabelas hearing enhancement page

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm just another in the sinking boat of hearing damage. I've been using the Dillons on the range and figure they might work OK out in the field. I seriously doubt though that one would get away from the rumbling noise of the wind, regardless of what you use. The Dillons have a little foam thing that is supposed to alleviate noise, but I haven't seen much help there. I do actually hear better with them than with my hearing aids. Go figure.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a vet ! lost both sides from gunfire , don't use aids as the Noise drives me nuts for normal conditions ! wait till your in position to hunt then turn them on . works for me ! only time I use them ! Use a hat with ear muffs stops the wind sound .

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by concho:
I'm a vet ! lost both sides from gunfire , don't use aids as the Noise drives me nuts for normal conditions ! wait till your in position to hunt then turn them on . works for me ! only time I use them ! Use a hat with ear muffs stops the wind sound .

One of the problems with my hearing aids is the digital technology puts them to sleep so to speek if there is no real noise. If I sit in a room with no sound they will almost stop working. Once any kind of sound occures they activate. This is not noticeable in every day life, but in the deer stand it is very noticeable.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I'm 54 and have the same problem. I bought a Walker game ear II, before elk season, I like it, but when walking I have to turn it down, I make so much noise, that I could not hear before it drives me crazy!! But when sitting or walking very slow it is awesome, I could hear deer walking on rocks long before I could see them and for the other non game animals out there I heard birds that I have never heard before..So far I have not had a problem with the wind.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Try getting a pair of the SportEar digital hearing protectors. They're hearing aids with a built-in shutoff over 90db. They work great in the field.

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread:

Im on the same boat of huh and what? as you guys but im only 24 years old so its a bit of a consern for me..
I have an constant wail too in my ears similar to what you get after an unprotected shooting session with high power rifles!

I have been thinking about these muffs for hunting but must order without testing as no stores have them near me...

I did try some peltor aids with shutoff sistem in Sweden and liked them alot but had not the opportunity to test them in wind but my Swedish friend said they where pretty good, whatever that means...
They where expensive though!

Regards

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using a a pair of Remingtons 2000 the last few years while hunting. They work good but as with any muff they can be a pain. I have shot thousands of rounds while hunting with them on. I am sure I have saved lots of hearing because I try and wear them as much as possible.

I am heading to SD on a pheasant hunt next week my remingtons well be going with me.

I wore them most of this last week had them on when I shot my 3 deer. I am getting to the point of not wanting to shoot unless they are in place. I am sure that I would shoot a real big buck with out them but I have passed on shots at does and other game because they were not on my head.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have one walkers game ear II and use it in my left ear all the time bow and rifle hunting. I do sometimes hear the wind in it but it isnt bad at all.I can say two things about it and I might be a special case. I have a very bad time telling direction wearing it.This is realy bad when your trying to pinpoint that turkey goblin three ridges over to the left.....or maybe the right.....hmmmm. It does make you very aware of every noise around even you and how much noise we make even trying to be quiet.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Way back when I was 25 I first noticed a hearing problem (do to shotguns, rifles, rock bands etc.) An ear Doctor told me I wouldn't ever be able to understand women and children. I told him I couldn't understand them anyway Big Grin
Now, at 60 I'm using a set of digital hearing aids that shut off at over so many (I forget how many) decibles and thus, shooting with them on is no problem They do; however, pick up the wind noise you guys mentioned and every once in while (way too often) I get a squeal..feedback... that sounds way louder than it actually is..I hope. As Red Skelton used to say.." if I'd knowed I was gonna live this long I'da took better care of myself".
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i kinda know what you're going through. I live with muffs on for a good portion of the day due to machinery noises as well has shooting alot. I tried several kinds and have settled on the peltors. they are the most comfortable to me and at least seem to do the most.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a brand the military uses (WOLF ears) i think. Any way they pick up the slightest sound and cancel out louder sounds.

Well polish my balls and serve me a milkshake!

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Am currently the executive director for a Center on Deafness in Colorado. We see a number of people who've suffered hearing loss over the years to gunfire...I'm one of them. Please, use some sound deadening to protect the hearing you have left. I now insert hearing protectors (EARS), or foam ear plugs if I think I'm near to shooting something. Yeah, it cuts sound down some, but at least I'm protecting my ears for now. (Uh, what's that constant hissing?)

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club -it used to be called "cordite ear". I´m a bit younger than you (not by much though) and I´ve had this problem for several years. Tinnitus came as a bonus.

I´ve used Peltors Com Tac muffs for several years and they work fine, even used them four times in Africa. Need to get used to them though as they amplify all sounds, then again that´s how an aid works so it shouldn´t be a problem.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Count me as another member of this club. I have used the Pro Ears elctronic muffs for about 4 years now and find them to be okay. I just bought a new set, these are Walker's Quad Power Muffs. Much better than my old set, and lots better than plain shooting muffs because I am able to hear really well while wearing them.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote