Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What do you feed deer
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted
Here in New Zealand we farm Red and Fallow deer and plant turnips for them to eat in the winter months,the deer cant get enough of them.Im sure your deer over in the states would eat turnips too given half a chance.I have been placing salt blocks that are high in calcium and other trace elements at back of the farm in the woods for the wild deer too help in the grown of their antlers.

Posts: 1873 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm just old fashioned... I only feed 'em Nosler Partitions....

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, that's certainly different. I never heard of anything like that, must be location specific.

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
I get it at a feed store, Agway, it's a cattle feed additive. Has molasass in it also.

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Today i bought a Kenco feeder that runs on a timer and dispenses food twice a day. It says it is for corn, but it should work with other grains or pellets, too.

Might plant some clover or something like that in the spring, but that seems a long time away right now.

Have seen horses eat tobacco.

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Plinker603 - - - -

I have been using corn, but as you said squrrels, turkeys, & birds get most of it. I sat in my stand one night, counted 16 of those tree rats and 7 blue jays feasting on my corn!
then I tried beet pulp! WOW! the deer love it! And the other critters don't, I still put corn out but mostly beet plup now......

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
where do you get beet pulp??

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
plinker - - -

I didn't believe it, until I tryed a bag. My nephew told me about it, so I thought why not! Your not that far from New Jersey, give it a try!

let me know how many deer you get feeding on it!

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
alfalfa, yes. Soy beans, peas, apples, etc. I don't know why your deer didn't go for the corn. My brother experienced the same thing in South Carolina.

Try putting a little molasses with the corn next time to get them started or even some cheap pancake syrup.

Deer also love ground milo, and sweet feed that you'd give a horse or cattle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I feed them soybeans. Just about all birds and coons eat corn, but I have found most animals (except squirrels) leave the beans alone. And deer love beans once their normal food sources are gone.

Posts: 51 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 05 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deer like corn here in Wisconsin, soybeans too. Try peanuts in the shell, they love them too. Soon as the snow comes, they will eat oats here too, but not until there is 6 inches of snow covering everything else.

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Purina deer chow. I'm not sure if thats what they call it but i have seen it around. It's high in protein for healthy deer and racks.

Posts: 117 | Location: Wisconsin , USA | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Plinker, Deer normally love corn so it is a bit surprising they didn't go to yours. I'd suspect they were focused on other brouse at that specific time, acorns, kudzu, etc. But, they do like a good corn pile.

We supliment their health and antlergrowth by putting out the Red Mineral and White Salt blocks. No need to buy the small blocks, just go on and get the big ones and split them with an ax.

If you can find the Mineral Blocks wrapped in a thin cardboard, chop through the cardboard so your cut is in line with the open top and bottom ends. If they don't come with cardboard, lay a scrap piece of cardboard on the block before chopping. For some reason, the cardboard helps keep the block from shattering into a bunch of tiny pieces even though it is not wrapped around the block.

Of course remember to hose off the ax, resharpen and wipe with a bit of oil.

The Deer will eat just about any of the regular cattle or goat type feeds. Just ask the guys at the Southern States feed store what they have and tell them what you intend to do with it.

Planting a small patch of clover (specific to your area) draws them in extremely well. We use "Ladino Clover" in S.C. with fine results, but it might not be the best variety for your weather. Again, the Southern States guys can help you out.

Plant some apple, persimmon and pecan trees.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote