New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 or 7x64 ?
 Login/Join

posted
hallo everybody Smiler
i'm new on this forum , i'm in NW of Italy and i'm planning to go hunting in the Alps mountains ; ( chamois , roe deer and wildboard most of all , maybe red deer too )
usually the shooting distance is between150 and 250 yards
(sometimes 300yds)
I 'm not able to handle the recoil of a 7mm rem mag , i can barely "dominate" a 30.06 , in a 3.3kg (6.9lbs) rifle
I must order (is a too long story why....) a CZ 550montecarlo , and I was thinking in 7x57 or 7x64 cal. . what are your suggestions ?
(any special suggestions for the calibers above keeping in mind that I reload all my cartridges and here in Italy we find basically only Vithavuory and Norma powders),
thank a lot to all
Albert

Posts: 14 | Location: Torino , Italy | Registered: 26 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Albert
without a doubt, 7x64 Brenneke and 160 / 175 grs. bullets. More velocity and more energy.In my Sauer 200 (24" barrel), Speer 160 grs fly at 2.883 fts - 2.952 fts/lb2 and RWS 173 H-Mantel, 2.729 fts. - 2.860 fts/lb2 with Rottweill 905
Best Regards.
Hector

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The x57is a great cart. but if you are going to the long action anyway, get the 7x64. It is the twin to one of my favorite rounds, the .280rem. Loaded w/ good 150-160gr bullets it is quite capable for any hunting in Europe.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aber1911:
hallo everybody Smiler
i'm new on this forum , i'm in NW of Italy and i'm planning to go hunting in the Alps mountains ; ( chamois , roe deer and wildboard most of all , maybe red deer too )
usually the shooting distance is between150 and 250 yards
(sometimes 300yds)
I 'm not able to handle the recoil of a 7mm rem mag , i can barely "dominate" a 30.06 , in a 3.3kg (6.9lbs) rifle
I must order (is a too long story why....) a CZ 550montecarlo , and I was thinking in 7x57 or 7x64 cal. . what are your suggestions ?

Either one of them would be good but have you thought of another alternative, the .270?

Loading components should be common even where you are. I have shot it and I am very impressed by the low recoil.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot to everybody for the useful suggestions .
unfortunately I have to change caliber Frowner ;
The point is that the gunshop (that owe me enough money to buy this rilfle :-( ) is giving me hard time about a 7x57 or 7x64 rifle that is not in stock and has to be ordered (it takes months ! :-( )
so i was thinking to go for a regular CZ 550 in 30.06cal. ( it is already in the shop and I want to close this "deal" soon
:-( ) and "get used tu the recoil" using maybe some "anti-recoil" pad
(beside the old classic06 is a very versatile cartridge :-) )
Any suggestions about a bullet for a long range shot , flatter trajectory ?
I heard that "ballistic tip" are good but make too much meat damage (with all the exception , of course)
thanks again to all

one of us
posted Hide Post
Albert
For chamois or roe deer, 150 grs Spitzer Boat Tail it's the best, and 180 grs Spitzer for wild boer.
Where are you in North Italy?
What brand of bullets do you have?
Regards,
Hector

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Murf
posted Hide Post
If you reload then start with loads below maximunm and gradually work up to full house loads. You may find a milder load, using the right bullet will give you all you need.

Posts: 14361 | Location: Sask. Canada | Registered: 04 December 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H�ctor Carlos Roveda:
Albert
For chamois or roe deer, 150 grs Spitzer Boat Tail it's the best, and 180 grs Spitzer for wild boer.
Where are you in North Italy?
What brand of bullets do you have?
Regards,
Hector

hallo
I'm in Torino , NW of Italy ,
i have Hornady 165gr SST bullets , never tried but Hornady (of course )say are good
Hasta Luego

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WyoJoe:

Either one of them would be good but have you thought of another alternative, the .270?

Loading components should be common even where you are. I have shot it and I am very impressed by the low recoil.

thanks for the suggestion
i was thinking at the 270 too but in some places is "banned" for hunt deers (minim, req. 7mm cal)
beside it kicks more or less like the 30.06 (in my opinion and experience of course) and i have seen many times a lot (a disaster!) of meat damage especially on roe deers (with a 130grn bullets)
thanks again