New
Find
Notify
Tools

canandian ruminants
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any truth to the fact that the USDA is not allowing any ruminants to be brought in from Cananda? Moose, elk, sheep, caribou? [Confused]

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That New Ruminant Ban & Your Canadian Hunt
(posted June 03, 2003)

If you have heard that the US Department of Agriculture has banned the importation of big game trophies from Canada, don't cancel your hunt for this season just yet. The ban we're talking about of course is the recent decision by the US Department of Agriculture to ban the import of ruminants from Canada after a cow there was diagnosed with bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), better known as "mad-cow" disease. Ruminants are four-footed, cud-chewing mammals, such as cattle, and include sport-hunted animals, such as deer, elk, moose, caribou, muskox, bison, wild sheep and mountain goats.

Well, hold the phone. The Hunting Report has learned that the ban on sport-hunted animals applies only to meat, not to capes and skulls with antlers/horns. We have that from Hallie Pickhardt, spokesperson for the USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS). She also confirmed for us the conditions under which these items may be imported. Many hunters will be relieved to know that green capes are acceptable for importation; they do not have to be flint dried or tanned. Also, skulls attached to horns/antlers must be "finished," meaning the skull must be skinned, scraped and boiled to remove all flesh. And while there is no limit on the number of finished trophies that may be brought over the border, if you're bringing back antlers only (such as pick-ups that are not attached to the skull) then you are restricted to only two sets. According to Pickhardt, more than two sets of loose antlers would be considered as commercial instead of personal use and are thus inadmissible.

So, if you booked a hunt to Canada for this season or were considering one, move forward with your plans. Just remember that you will have to leave your meat behind. - Barbara Crown, Managing Editor.

Posts: 44 | Location: Canada | Registered: 19 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
You can drop your meat by my house on your way home boys! [Wink] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boilerroom,

quote:
You can drop your meat by my house on your way home boys!
You got that right. We like barbecue up here just as much as our southern neighbours. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2092 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kudu,

Cananda? one syllable too many my friend. Canada. That's OK, I'm just razzin ya. I figure you must have been in turmoil about having to leave your meat behind. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2092 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LOL! [Big Grin] No some times I try ot type faster than I can spell! I ain't leavin my meat behind anywhere! It stays between me thighs!!!!!!!! [Cool] I would just as soon leave the game meat with the locals any way, just as a sign of thanks! [Smile]

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Your most welcome. [Wink]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote