Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about gator hunts
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I am focused on the Texas hunts right now as I am about to move to the Lone Star State. Are the hunts just braining a gator on a hook, like in Swamp People? Seems more like execution than hunting -- not that that is a bad thing, as these critters must be managed.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Not me, but a friend of mine has caight gator on a pole and line.
Of course he also spears feral hogs and hunts grizzly bear with a muzzle loader (shot two in Alaska this year).

Once you get moved in here, I will set up a hunt with you, he, and I.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot dog Bill you can't beat that
already,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course it depends on the laws in effect on the hunt .

Depending on the laws, they are hunted many different ways. Stalking. Baiting in and out of the water with or without hooks . Snatch hooks. Spearing or crossbows.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Larry, I will look into the Texas gator hunting regs more closely. Charles, that is a kind offer, and thank you.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill:

That is an absolute must . In Florida for example , legal methods differ between the general gator season and the private lands permits . Some things are allowed on the private lands hunts that are expressly forbidden in the general season.

I have no clue about Texas.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I don't know the current regs for gator hunting in TX but I did a gator hunt in S. TX back in 2006. It was more like gator fishing, or actually, gator trot line fishing.

The outfitter put out 1/2 chickens on hooks, on cane poles staked around the edges of the waterways. Then we cruised around on boats and checked the lines. If there was a gator, it was dispatched with a 22LR into the brain before being brought into the boat.

My trip was a corporate trip put on by my neighbor and friend. When one of his clients backed out, I was invited. We did have a good time but it wasn't what I'd call a hunt.

There may be other methods conducted in TX but I'm not familiar with them.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I have hunted alligators in Louisiana every year since 1979, and have averaged around 60 tags each year.

If you are going to fish alligators and pay for it, the overall experience is important. Several years back I donated a hunt through the Dallas Ecological Society, and a high school student from the Dallas area won a contest with the hunt as an award.

The hunt was for two and 1/2 days and two nights, We put out lines, ran lines, actually had some real drama with a 10 footer hooked in the back leg, I brought him to sell the alligators also. What I think made it a better trip was we stayed on my houseboat in the marsh, my wife cooked some good food, we used the airboat, outboard, and a super go devil. And to top it off we went frogging at night and gave him a good tour of the area. We provided a real Cajun experience.

If you sleep at a hotel, meet the hunter at the landing, shoot a couple of gators on lines, go back to the hotel, it is an entirely different experience.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
What Mike said above. When my daughter had her fish/hunt last fall we made sure she was part of all of it. She drove T-posts, set poles, hung bait, etc. Then she hauled her gator in by hand and dispatched it with a .22 Mag to the nugget. She enjoyed it because she got the full experience. Had we just gone out to bait sites that others had set up and shot a gator, I don't think it would have been near as fun/interesting.

Here's a write-up on my daughter's experience.
http://www.predatormastersforu...=3282027#Post3282027

If you want to talk more, I'll share my number and you can give me a ring.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mike, DesertRam, thank you for sharing your perspectives. Makes the concept much more interesting.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
I have hunted alligators in Louisiana every year since 1979, and have averaged around 60 tags each year.

If you are going to fish alligators and pay for it, the overall experience is important. Several years back I donated a hunt through the Dallas Ecological Society, and a high school student from the Dallas area won a contest with the hunt as an award.

The hunt was for two and 1/2 days and two nights, We put out lines, ran lines, actually had some real drama with a 10 footer hooked in the back leg, I brought him to sell the alligators also. What I think made it a better trip was we stayed on my houseboat in the marsh, my wife cooked some good food, we used the airboat, outboard, and a super go devil. And to top it off we went frogging at night and gave him a good tour of the area. We provided a real Cajun experience.

If you sleep at a hotel, meet the hunter at the landing, shoot a couple of gators on lines, go back to the hotel, it is an entirely different experience.

This would make it a GRAND adventure!!! I'm hooked on "swamp people" and will have that kind of an experience some day (sooner than later since I'm 68).

Good luck Bill. I hope its everything you want and more.

Zeke

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I remember reading about actually hunting them with a rifle while they are on the bank, possibly in Florida? Anybody know about this?

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
I remember reading about actually hunting them with a rifle while they are on the bank, possibly in Florida? Anybody know about this?

It is not legal in the general alligator season. However , this can be done with the private lands alligator permits.