Notify
Tools

180gr Accubond vs Parition
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted

Question:
I am about to show a couple of buddies hwo to load for thier 300 Winchesters.

Both use 180gr Partition factory ammo.

The Partition is rarely a bad choice for hunting big game, and I've used it in 30-06 and 300WSM, 300 WM.

However, I've found the Accubonds to be so easy to get an accurate load with. I've always been able to get 1" or so groups with partitions after some experimentation, but the Accubonds are so accurate, experimentation is almost NIL.

WHich is attractive if you are spending your free time working up loads for 2 rifles that dont' belong to you! Wink

But- I have not persoanlly shot any animals with an Accubond as of yet.

So- For an all around BC hunting bullet in 30 cal- (Moose, elk, sheep , goat, deer) what is your pic?

(and yes, I know, shot placemnt is everything, lots of animals die from regular cup and core bullets yada yada, been on the internet a long time, thanks! Big Grin killpc Wink )

Choices:
Partition
Accubond
No difference

375 Ruger- The NEW KING of the .375's!!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
I shot 5 animals (Kudu, Gemsbok, Springbok, Zebra, Bull Moose) with 180 grn Accubonds out of my .300 Win Mag last year. All expired quickly and none of them went more than 20-30 yards. I'm pretty pleased with the performance of the Accubonds. While in Africa, two other hunters in camp were also shooting 300 WM but with 180 partitions. Of the bullets that were recovered, the retained weight was about the same for both types. I've used Partitions for years and have always had good results and really don't see much difference in the performance of the 2 so far.

JD

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Thanks..

Frankly, that is the answer I was expecting, anyway! cheers

375 Ruger- The NEW KING of the .375's!!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I voted for Accubonds as I think they are excellent bullets, but there is a difference. That difference will be noticed the most by the shoulder shooters. For those folks I would reccomend sticking with the partitions.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well my vote was for Accubonds but from very limited experience. For my normal game rifle (30/06 all 180 grain bullets) I tried partitions in it with fairly unsatisfactory results in the accuracy dept. so I never used them on an animal.
I then tried Accubonds which I found to be fairly accurate in my rifle and took one Bull Elk at 180 yards, only shot I had was a high shoulder shot which put him down "bang-flop", recovered bullet just under the hide and it weighed 114 grains.
I would call this "good" performance but there was nothing stellar about it, I've had very similar results from Sierra 180 grain spitzer boat tails ( gameking) with everything about the load being equal.
Not trying to make any point, just giving my examples. From my limited experience I would choose the Accubonds over the partitions based on their accuracy.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
The four African animals I shot were all shoulder shots between 160 and 320 yards, they still came out much like the Partitions. I am at work and don't have my notes, but I think the Accubonds actually retained a little more weight than the partitions, not enough to really matter. There may have been a more pronounced difference in their performance if the range had been closer. The moose I shot was at about 35-40 yards and was a double lung shot broadside. I did not recover any bullets. I was by myself and the last thing I was worried about was bullets. The accuracy level for both bullets is about the same in my rifle using a max load of RL 22.

JD

JD

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I voted for Partitions because I LIKE EM! I have loaded Accubonds for my hunting partner in a 7STW built on a sts Classic 70 by the late Dana Campbell of Mountain Rifles Alaska, but, they did not perform too well on paper, so, he went to the dependable old NP-150.

I don't doubt that ABs are fine bullets and intend to try them in the HVA .338-06 I am having slowly built...but, I will always use NPs as my "go-to" bullet.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
SmilerI didn't have a good experience in Africa 2 years ago with 338 Accubonds - much to my surprise. They didn't penetrate well, and appeard to open up too quickly. Poor penetration on kudu, eland, and zebra. Had problems with both the eland and zebra, despite being well shot. Did OK on Waterbuck and impala.

For deer size game, I think they have a distinct advantage over partitions. You hit the nail on the head in observing that the accubonds seem to group well and don't take as much tinkering as the partitions. But I've determined to stay with the partitions for game that's much bigger than a deer.

Just my opinion.

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
I tried the Winchester Supreme Accubonds 180gr in my Sako m75SS 300WM starting in 2004. The moose was a 150m double lung complete pass thru - small entrance wound with a huge damaging exit wound. NExt was my NT mulie turned quartering away, 44metre shot behind the left front shoulder, and found the bullet almost thru the hide. It took out the heart and RF shoulder. Weighed the bullet and it was still 150gr. (83.3% of original). Next an hour later was my 8x7 WT buck shot 554m, with a double lung pass thru. Both bucks dropped in their tracks. The pics of these 2 bucks are in the trophy room under "2 bucks an hour" for your viewing. The cow elk was a 200m shot. All were 1 shot kills. I was shooting the Winchester Supreme Partition Golds 180gr from the day my rifle was new till the Accubonds come out- and I'm sold on them. I reload now for the 300WM with 150,180, 200gr Accubonds, but think that the 180gr bullet is the best overall for the 300WM for the game I shoot. 200gr too big for the deer. I can't wait to try the new XP3 bullets this season- so I'll buy 1 box since I have a few boxes of bullets to reload.

This Accubond bullets performance from my 2 -270WSM on big game gives the same performance as my 300WM - All 1 shot kills for my wife animals the past 2 seasons and her dad this past season.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
For heavy game in my 300 WSM I use the Fail Safe and Barnes TSX both in 180. Excellent performance on bear and moose.

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote