THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Double on bobcats = 2 more reasons to love single shots & 6.5mms

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double on bobcats = 2 more reasons to love single shots & 6.5mms
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

Did someone say second shot opportunities are limited by single shot rifles??? Smiler

I shot the male first this morning. The female paused for a split second to sniff the deceased male and turned to evacuate the premises. But it was too late as another Nosler 120 grain BT was already on its way.

Sure do love those 6.5s, by the way...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Bobby, I always enjoy your posts. Do the BT tear the hides? It doesn't look like it in the picture.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NICE!!!
beautiful tortise shell markings on those texas cats.
what do you do with the hides?
wanna trade?

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Nice Bobby!! Those are beautiful cats!!

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
JA-

Thanks! The pelt damage was minimal. I shot the first tight behind the shoulder with no major bones hit. There was a quarter-sized exit on the opposite side and a 4-5 foot spray of blood and lung tissue on the grass behind the cat.

The 2nd cat was turning to go away, so I caught her quartering with the entrance around the mid-flank. The bullet traveled the length of the body and did not exit. I think I can feel it against the hide on the front/center area of the chest. I plan on trying to recover it once they are skinned later (it's 30 degrees so they'll be fine another few minutes before they get done).

ravenr-I had planned to either tan them for use here in the home or, if prices are decent, sell them to a fur dealer. What kind of trade did you have in mind? I don't think I can send a bobcat across state lines without first getting a CITES tag on it, but that's not all that difficult to do.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm thinkin bobby i'm thinkin

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Thats just COOOLLLL Bobby! Congratulations! Makes me want a Contender rifle barrel that much more.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1370 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a ruger no.1 for years never felt under gun.

Posts: 19441 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. Those few seconds certainly did contain quite a bit of excitement.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I love the 6.5 and shoot one in a bolt gun:

But.....I agree on the follow-up shots. I shot these two buck together. Three shots in less than a dozen seconds....practice...practice...practice, and then make sure you have ammo ready for the follow-ups.

Yeap...thats a lonely little 308 H&R Ultra Hunter. It has killed 7 blacktail bucks in Northern California so far, and now it has been cut down for a 12 year old girl:

Stock cut to 12.5 inch LOP with a HiViz Xcoil 1 inch recoil pad. Barrel cut from 22 down to 18 with a target crown. 1.75X32 Bushnell with a Circle-X reticle.

Oh, yeah, that 6.5mm is a custom 6.5X55SE and can shoot under 2 inches consistently at 300 yards:

The cat just would not get out of my way so I used her as a backdrop.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
333_OKH-

Very nicely done! It's good to see others enjoy the single shots as well. tu2 A few here consider them junk; one member has called them "toys" with no place in hunting; and another called them "Bubba's guns."

But I just grin at their closed-minded mentality and go about my business... Big Grin

--

On another note:

A friend on another board e-mailed and asked if I weighed these 'cats. Yes, I did -- just forgot to mention that.

The female weighed 23.1 pounds. The male weighed 25.2. From the cats I've taken over the years, those are a bit above average for mature animals in this area. Once you get to 22 pounds for a female and 24-25 for a male, you're getting a pretty decent-sized kitty. They do get bigger, but those are the exception and not the rule.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ