Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter's First Deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
My daughter Emmy is 16 years old and quite a rifle shot at targets. This year she decided that she wanted to try for a deer and Dad was all for it. We've been hunting several weekends with no luck until this morning when she took this buck in a clover field with a perfect shot from her little NEF 7.62x39 single shot.

I loaded her some Hornady .311 diameter 150 grain bullets at a wee bit over 2200 fps. The exit wound was nickel-sized and the lungs, jelly. The buck ran only 60 yards.

Bucks on the Georgia coast are notoriously small, but the landowner's good management got this 3.5 year cull buck some bone! He weighted 160 #'s on the hoof.

I'm a proud father!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
No pic Mad Judge????

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike! I fixed it and added another.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey JudgeG, A big congratulations to both your daughter and you. That sure is a Million Dollar smile.

Continued good hunting and clean 1-shot kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very nice buck! Congratulations to Emmy!

clap

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Nice buck! thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
Congrats. Quite the huntress.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Emmy on a super nice first buck! And kudos to a father introducing his daughter to a sport we all cherish. Well done, Ernest!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge

That beautiful young lady came from you??? Big Grin

Seriously, congratulations, and I hope you have create many many more fond memories hunting with you daughter.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Dowry for the young lady is:

1. 10,000 acres in the Texas Hill Country along with nice ranch house with view
2. A paid subscription to NetJet (wet)
3. 21 days in Tanzania or Botswana at my choice every year
4. An H&H Royal grade in .375 flanged
5. A pretty and rich arm-piece (for her Daddy) who appreciates the craftsmen of Suhl more than the designers of Paris and who understands that "square-bridge" doesn't refer to a card game.

Please send your son's CV and Dunn & Bradstreet by P.M. Also include pictures of proposed companion for father.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

one of us
posted Hide Post
congratulations on the buck!!!isn't it amazing what them handi-rifles can do!!

Posts: 211 | Location: MT | Registered: 24 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dowry for the young lady is:

1. 10,000 acres in the Texas Hill Country along with nice ranch house with view
2. A paid subscription to NetJet (wet)
3. 21 days in Tanzania or Botswana at my choice every year
4. An H&H Royal grade in .375 flanged
5. A pretty and rich arm-piece (for her Daddy) who appreciates the craftsmen of Suhl more than the designers of Paris and who understands that "square-bridge" doesn't refer to a card game.

Please send your son's CV and Dunn & Bradstreet by P.M. Also include pictures of proposed companion for father.

And I am sure she is worth every penny and more! I know my daughter is.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to both of you.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAS 323
posted Hide Post
Congrats Emmy!! Nice shootin'!!
I got a kick out of the second picture--the blood on Emmy's face.

Rick
Diesel Power

Posts: 113 | Location: NE PA | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Good job Miss Emmy! Judge, I'll have to take a rain check on the deer hunting. With family here until Sunda eve, I have my hands full. I'll take that rain check though! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
That's fine looking deer for her first one. Here'sto many more.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been telling my daughter( 21 yoa) for years to marry a RRS Rich Ranchers Son.

She hasn't fround one yet.

She's a great shot,loves kids. She out on the stand right now most likely be mad Iam posting thisl

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I certainly am happy to see a young lady enjoying the outdoors like they should. I hope my daughter will share a simular passion when she grows older. And Judge, I'd keep my eyes sharp and a rifle handy with a beautiful huntress like that under my roof. I imagine you already have a couple of scalliwags hiding in the bushes beside your driveway. Oh, and congartulations to the young lady in the pictures.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your daughter Emmy on her first deer! You must be busting shirt buttons Judge!

The pics are great, especially the one with the blood smear on her cheek. Smiler I will echo the sentiments of others though Judge....is she REALLy your daughter? Razzer

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
GREAT DEER,

My 2 daughters are 18 months and negative 5 months respectivly. I hope someday I can have an experience with them like that.

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Congrats Emmy! That's a nice buck, and way bigger than my first. Wishing you many more. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous Buck...and young lady!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Judge,

Pass on congratulations from me to your daughter. That is a great looking deer and a beautiful young lady.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to both of you.

I have three daughters and they'd kill me for posting their availability. LOL

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
congratulations to your daughter, but JudgeG are you sure you share the same DNA with that young lady? Big Grin

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Judge:

After comparing her photo with yours, and after being in your presence a few times, and after a few cocktails, there is NO WAY that beautiful girl in your daughter.

But if she is, you should be DAMN proud.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
As fellows with a bit of "character" to our appearance...Judge and I can thank God mommas have more to do with the looks of our daughters than we do. Big Grin

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
JudgeG:

Congratulations to your daughter and to you. Great Job!! I recently had a similar experience as my 12 year old daughter killed her first deer last month.

It is hard to describe the happiness and pride that you feel when your child chooses to participate in your favorite hobby and even more so when they connect. I am glad for both of you.

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Emmy way to go! Keep it up he is a dandy!

Life member NRA
formally scrappy

Posts: 192 | Location: Ga | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Emmy,

You GO GIRL!!! Congratulations!!! thumb

You made your Dad very proud and I hope you'll continue hunting. It's a wonderful passtime. beer

Tell your Dad that the dowry is WAAAAAAY too skimpy... Besides... It's YOUR call anyway. thumb stir thumb

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
Great first deer! Keep up the hunting tradition!

I'm sorry but my younger cousin was at my office today and he now wants to meet the pretty girl who shot the buck! He is only 15!

I told him he has to ask the judge!

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge
She did good. thumb Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!! I remember my 14 year old daughters first deer. That moment turned into a lifetime of wonderful hunting. What better hunting partner than your oun daughter. CONGRADULATIONS!!!

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Great buck for her first. My first was a LOT smaller. A girl like that will make some lucky guy a good wife someday.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote