Find
Notify
Tools

Famous historic female hunters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steven30127
posted
Hi Guys....ok, I need your help. Working on a project with my daughter and we are looking for the names of famous historic female hunters. Ideally these women lived prior to 1900 and are not limited necessarily to America. It would be really great if there are websites that give information about them. Helping my kid I got to Anne Oakley then hit a mental wall. Any suggestions?

Posts: 257 | Location: Aliso Viejo, California | Registered: 09 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife has the Diana Files and loved the book as it talked all about different female hunters.

The Diana Files

That should help you out..

Posts: 187 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta | Registered: 15 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A recent article in Bugle (the RMEF Magazine) had an article about a famous American woman who hunted in the Yellowstone area around the turn of the century. A fairly long article with some good history. It should be readily available.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steven30127
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys....Graylake....I just ordered the book...tell your wife thanks!

Posts: 257 | Location: Aliso Viejo, California | Registered: 09 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Bill beat me to the punch. The article in Bugle is very informative, and should serve as a nice supplement to the book you just ordered. If you can't find a copy of that Bugle locally, let me know and I'll send you mine. You can send it back when your daughter is done.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Osa Johnson is my favorite all time female writer hunter she is awesome.I think she wrote a couple of books about her Adventures in Africa.I Married Adventure is one.Four years in Paradise is another.She shot a 405 1895 and was very good with it.There is a somewhere in Kanas I forget where that has alot of their stuff.They made a few movies too.Check her out wish I had an Osa Johnson today!!

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Baroness Karen von Blixen-Finecke, who wrote 'Out Of Africa' under the pen name Isak Dinesen was a pretty serious huntress.
Big GrinlUEma7WGBe9DM:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/zaphobeeblebrox/Blixt.jpg">

And Beryl Markham, the bush pilot/adulteress who was apparently a real character, Ernest Hemingway summed her up thusly,

"Did you read Beryl Markham's book, West With The Night? ...She has written so well, and marvellously well, that I was completely ashamed of myself as a writer. I felt that I was simply a carpenter with words, picking up whatever was furnished on the job and nailing them together and sometimes making an okay pig pen. But this girl, who is to my knowledge very unpleasant and we might even say a high-grade bitch, can write rings around all of us who consider ourselves as writers ... it really is a bloody wonderful book."

She sounds interesting. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Seems obvious, but Annie Oakley. In the book about her life there are also pictures of her with a brace of turkeys take with a double, can't remember for sure but I think it was a Parker 16 ga.

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote