Find
Notify
Tools

ranch elk hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted
Who here has done one and where? How did it compare to a free range hunt if you did that too? This is a quest for information, I don't need any morals debate on this.

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done both. Most of the "East of Mississippi river" operations are on small acreages, and are a "shoot them in the back yard" type of hunt. Those that have "pens" larger than 1200 acres can offer a true hunting experience. 2000+ acre hunts are the same as free range hunts, in my experience.
WYLD

Posts: 43 | Location: Nebraska, USA | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done one in Saskatchewan a few years ago knowing exactly what it was going into it after not being drawn for a 3rd straight year for the area of choice. My overall opine is there was some difference in the trip for me caused by the fact I knew I was guaranteed a bull before I ever left home.
The hunt itself was spot and stalk from a pickup truck on a 25,000 acre ranch, not entirely different than some wild elk hunts I've been on and about the same as a normal plains game in Namibia or RSA that I've done.It was not a horse back trip deep into the depths of BLM property from a canvas wall tent. It cost me several thousands LESS than that type of hunt.
Have you ever done a late season cow elk hunt? As that is much like a ranch elk hunt IMHO.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Believe me, if you are in the rocky mountain states and it isnt high fence those are wild elk. Most BLM property is leased for cattle also so no difference.

I lived and hunted elk in Montana,Colorado and New mexico.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much are you looking to spend? Are you physically able to do a spot and stalk fair chase hunt around 7-10,000 feet above sea level? The reason I ask is there are plenty of good guided hunts out there for what one of these guaranteed hunts behind a fence cost. Most of them come with guaranteed tags. If you can't physically do this kind of hunt then going to an elk ranch might be your best option.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was checking back into this thread an it occured to me that it is very probable I've spent 300 days of my life or more with a pack on my back and a bow in my hands in search of elk somewhere in the Rockies. Nothing can be compared to that on a ranch hunt BUT!, and it's a big BUT,do you equate the overall experience of the trip as your basis of a great hunt or have you done enough of that, if one can get too much of that sort of thing, or would you just like to go on a successful elk hunt?
With all the variables from wolves, getting drawn for a tag, cost of non resident lisences, unreputable outfitters,etc. etc. one must take into account these days a ranch hunt for a bull is IMHO not such a bad idea. If one wants a true wilderness experience one could just grab the GPS and Sat. phone load your back pack and hike off exploreing new grounds in the Rockies with a fly rod in your hands for sport.
My late father often said, "if you can't cope with bumps in the road then hunting in NA is not for you and you'd be better off going to Africa."

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my mind there are many different types of elk hunts. I have been involved with the following types so here is my input.

1- High-fence/low acreage- No real work involved. To me, a guy just seems to do it for some feeling of thrill to kill something. I have seen this done in 10 acre enclosures- open the gate and shoot the one you are told. Not my cup of tea. Prices I have seen range in the ($800+ for cows and $1,500 for bulls depending on size)

2- High fence/high acreage- Just my experience with 3 different local put-and-shoot elk ranches. Larger acreage of up to 2,500 acres where they drive the elk in a trailer through one gate and turn it loose while the hunter enters from another. The elk have no real concept of the terrain or where they live. It is not "their home". The hunter may hike a little and feel like an elk hunt, but in reality he is just being led a little farther to where the guide knows the elk will be. The hunters I have met do this just want to kill something and take it home to show. Most leave the meat with the guide. (Prices I have seen range in the $3,000 to $40,000+, depending on size of bull)

3- Low fence private land/wild elk- Usually expensive, elk are wild, but not as crazy as public lands herds (unless they are heavily hunted on the ranch). High success rates, but no sure thing. We own a ranch that carries a large number of elk and it can be a hunt, but usually a hunter will have a chance. Fun, low pressure, but it is a hunt. I have killed bulls and cows on this type of hunt. (Seems cow hunts start at $300 to $2000, bull hunts seem to start at $1,500 to 15,000+)

4- Public land, easy access/wild elk- Hard hunts many times. Lots of pressure and wild elk. One must hunt, know the land, and use the terrain/other hunters to his advantage. These can be frustrating, but still a great time if you know what you are getting into. I have killed bulls and cows on this type of hunt. (Guided bull hunts seem to start around $3,000)

5- Public lands, hard access/wild elk- Remote hike in/ride horses. Truley the best type of elk hunting I enjoy. Hunting elk on their turf, where they have not been constantly pressured by humans. True wild experience for me and hard work. Very rewarding, as the elk can be called. Many times the elk are not as weary as high access elk. I have killed bulls on this type of hunt. A raghorn killed on this type of hunt for me is much more special than a 400" bull shot behind a fence. (guided bull hunts seem to start around $3,000)

6- Public lands/wild elk/lottery draw- These are the low permit hunts out West on special units. I have found the cows to wild, but the bulls to be much less so. Large antlers, wild elk, low pressure, easier access. A great experience. It might take years to draw, or one can purchase a special permit for such hunts. Price last year were in the $6,000 to $12,000 for great units and $15,000-30,000+ for the best units-- tax deductible. I have drawn a couple special tags and killed bulls. (Still I like the horseback hunt better)

So there is my take. I am 100% positive someone will disagree with it, so I will state again that it is just my experience and opinion.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've hunted "the lodge at chama" at least 7 times. i believe their area covers 31k acres. some areas are high fenced and some are not if memory serves. all of my hunts have started in a pickup and ended after a stalk. while i could have shot some smaller bulls from very near the truck, every larger bull required some calling and walking. all in all, not as challenging as elk found on blm or wilderness land (which i usually hunt every year with a bow). chama is expensive, but their lodge is first class, the guides i have had were great, and i always enjoyed time spent there. there are lots of places like chama, some top notch and equally expensive, and you will get a good bull. in the hunting industry today, the more you pay, the greater the odds you'll get the animal you want. i've also used a couple outfitters who hunted both private and blm land. i killed elk every time, but not nearly as large as those from chama.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who answered. I've found some places of interest in Idaho that would let me combine this with my annual deer hunt trip to Montana when I hunt with friends there. I've done some elk hunting in Washington and one guided hunt years ago in Montana (no luck on either)and hope to someday get an elk, even if its not a big bull. With the way free guided hunts out of state run as far as cost, I don't see much difference in price (except when someone wants to shoot a 375" + bull, those get pricey fast on the ranch hunts.
No hurry to decide anything, just an info quest.

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
3- Low fence private land/wild elk- Usually expensive, elk are wild, but not as crazy as public lands herds (unless they are heavily hunted on the ranch). High success rates, but no sure thing. We own a ranch that carries a large number of elk and it can be a hunt, but usually a hunter will have a chance. Fun, low pressure, but it is a hunt. I have killed bulls and cows on this type of hunt. (Seems cow hunts start at $300 to $2000, bull hunts seem to start at $1,500 to 15,000+)

There's also no fence private land hunts on huge ranches, my son just did a guided cow elk hunt on the Vermejo Ranch (584,000 acres of mostly unfenced land). He had a great time and got his elk on the first morning. But make no mistake, if you're looking for a real elk hunting experience (horseback in a wilderness area) it's not it. I do think they may do drop camps on the ranch though and that would be a lot more like the real thing.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote