New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun case? Help.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm going on a Caribou hunt in couple of weeks and the outfitter tells me I need a "small, lightweight" hard case for the charter plane. He recommends a 4 wheeler type gun boot, but I aint flying my rifle from Alabama to Canada in a gun boot. I've looked at 5 local stores and haven't come up with anything. I'm thinking about ordering a SKB Single Rifle Case, but at 11 pounds it aint lite. Anything you'd recommend??

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I understand your dilemma........outside of the gunboot or a single hard rifle case, there isn't much to chose from.

Eleven pounds is not heavy for a rifle case and if you are not willing to use a gunboot, a single rifle case as you have described is the way I would go. I have spent a lot of time in planes up north going in and out of caribou camps and unless this camp is an oddity there will be room for that type of case on the charter plane.

I doubt you will be in anything smaller than a 185 or a 206 and if it is a camp in northern Quebec or the barrens in the NWT or Nunavut most of them are using larger planes like Caravans and twin Otters.

The outfitter is probably just trying to avoid you showing up with one of the monstrous rifle cases that are out there. Then, if all the hunters show up with BIG hard cases it can be a problem, as space and weight are always an issue on charter flights.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
on our hunt I used the tuff pak and put my rifle in the soft case and left the tuff pak behind for the plane ride to camp.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, order a Kolpin gun boot from Cabela's and have it drop shipped to your guide, and take your rifle to the destination in your normal traveling case. If you want it back ship it back to yourself when your done. $20 of shipping and your good to go.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark
Find out what size the charter plane is. Many times if it is a Piper Cub or Super Cub they like to tie the rifle case to the wing strut on the outside of the plane. Eeker

I told one pilot not no, but HELL NO! Mad [It was my 450/400 double] I said tie me to the strut but my rifle goes inside the plane.
Since both my rifles were takedowns they both fit inside, thus no problems.

I have a couple of Koplin cases, and I have seen many hunters use them as their only case.
The guy who invented it claims it is perfectly safe for airline travel.... But I have never done so.

I always take my scope off and put it in my carry on.... But that may be a thing of the past too.

I have heard of several cases being damaged, especially aluminium and thin plastic.

I have flown with several different cases with out problems, but I trust the Tuff-Pak first, followed by the Pelican.
After that I think the Koplin is as good as any.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous! Am not going to Quebec for caribou this year (too much going on at home), but am booked for 2007.
Now, if you are flying to Schefferville, each of the outfitters has a lodge. You are on a big plane going up there. Take a good soft case for going from Schefferville up to camp and leave the hard case at the lodge.
If you have other arrangements...

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guy! I called the outfitter back and we worked it out. clap

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote