Find
Notify
Tools

Shed hunting license
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted
and it starts.Just read in my local paper (Idaho) that Colorado is now starting with a required antler shed hunting/collecting license. Looks like more about another revenue source than actually doing much good for the resourse itself. While what I read was a mere news article about this and not the actual state law or statue that covers this, its sure looks to me to become confusing when it talks about possession and or "collecting". Not sure how a friend giving away a set of legally taken anteles would play into this, but darn sure I don't live down there in that confusing game laws state anyway.
Willi

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I read about this some time ago. I don't recall all of the specifics but I think it was only required in certain areas. Obviously NONSENSE whatever the rules may be!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rather than make unfounded incorrect statements the two of you might want to do some research before sounding off! It's not "obviously NONSENSE" and is strictly a closure west of I-25 to protect game animals during the critical Winter and early Spring months when animals are most vulnerable and there are no licensing fees involved! Wyoming has had a similar law for a number of years now to lessen stress on animals that are weak from a long winter. This is the explanation for the closure:

Shed hunting is the ultimate treasure hunt and, for some, an exciting pastime. Yet, for those who hike Colorado’s backcountry in search of sheds, you’ll have to wait until May 1 to start. Last week, in a unanimous decision, the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission voted to close all public lands west of I-25 to shed hunters through April 30, KOAA.com reports.

The decision, which will take effect March 1, is in place to protect wildlife that spend winter on these lands. Going forward, the closure will occur annually Jan. 1 through April 30.

Officials hope that this closure will specifically help protect the breeding and nesting grounds of the Gunnison sage-grouse, a bird that is listed as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act, according to The Daily Sentinel. In fact, to protect the birds further, an additional closure of public lands to shed hunters will occur May 1 to May 15, from sunset to 10 a.m. in Game Management Units 54, 55, 66, 67, and 551, the Alamosa News reports.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I applaud their intent, but I have to ask the same questions I always ask when public lands get closed to hunters: What about hikers? What about bird-watchers? What about woodcutters? What about oil and mineral companies? What about all those other folks who have a right and are likely to be out stumbling around in the woods?

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Quote by the authority on all things Topcop
quote:
rather than make unfounded incorrect statements the two of you might want to do some research before sounding off! It's not "obviously NONSENSE" and is strictly a closure west of I-25 to protect game animals during the critical Winter and early Spring months when animals are most vulnerable and there are no licensing fees involved!

Topcop if you do your research rather than start off running people down the Colorado Parks and Wildlife is considering a license fee for shed collectors, they expect to make a decision prior to the May 1 date. Trust me if they are considering it then they will see to it that they collect a fee.

Desert Ram as usual you are spot on!
I wonder the same thing, Colorado is overrun with outdoor activities as well as commercial interests that puts people in the same place as shed hunters. Turkey season begins April 14 and occurs in the same areas as the shed hunting closure (?)...

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Topcop
quote:
FYI the articles I've read have all stated that the CP&W has decided at this time not to charge any fees

Now I see you deleted your posts? good idea.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
please don't quote topgun as I have his ass on ignore....thanks

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Straight from the CPW website and please note the last paragraph on licensing:

What are the new regulations?

On Thursday, Jan. 11, 2018, the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission voted unanimously to prohibit shed antler and horn collection on all public lands west of I-25 from Jan.​​ 1 through April 30, annually. This year, the new regulations will be enforced on public lands beginning March 2.

In addition, to further protect the Gunnison sage-grouse, the new regulations include a time-of-day closure in the Gunnison Basin May 1 - 15 from sunset to 10 a.m. This closure applies to public lands in Game Management Units 54, 55, 66, 67, 551.
Why is this necessary? How does shed collection hurt deer, elk and other wintering wildlife?
The purpose of this regulation is to reduce stress on wintering big game animals during the time of year when big game animals such as deer, elk, pronghorn and moose are most vulnerable. Stress can result in decreased body condition, increased mortality and decreased fawn/calf survival. These regulations protect the health of Colorado's big game herds and other wintering wildlife.​
Why were these dates chosen?
In most parts of western Colorado, winter conditions affecting big game typically last into late April or early May, and big game are still losing weight and body condition. The April 30 date is intended to help minimize additional stress during this critical time frame.These dates closely align with restrictions in neighboring states. For instance, Wyoming prohibits the collection of shed antlers and horns from January 1 through April 30 on public lands west of the Continental Divide.
Why are other kinds of recreation and hunting still allowed in areas where shed collection is restricted?
While it is true that these restrictions may overlap with some hunting seasons, the amount of pressure put on the animals will be limited by the number of hunting license holders. Some shed collectors use OHVs and snowmobilese in their search. Loud, fast-moving OHVs and snowmobiles are major sources of wildlife stress. Also, the CPW Commission does not regulate other forms of recreation such as hikers and bikers on other land-use agency properties such as the Bureau of Land Management lands or National Forest land.
What is CPW going to do to let all recreationists know about the shed collection restriction?
As more people enjoy each season that Colorado has to offer, and new forms of recreation continue to emerge, it will be very important for CPW staff to work with recreation organizations, land-use management agencies and local communities to get the word out. Protecting our wintering wildlife is something we have to do together. Everyone involved in recreation needs to help educate people who are out on public lands. We will also be working with local visitors bureaus to help get the information to people visiting Colorado. CPW will post signs, send press releases, work with sportsmen's groups and partners, news media, social media and other communication avenues to ensure the public is well informed about this new change.
What are the penalties for violations?
Our initial goal is to educate the public about the negative impacts to wildlife caused by irresponsible shed collection and recreational activity, and why the new regulation is needed; however, repeat or egregious violators will likely face a $50 fine and $18 surcharge. There will be five license suspension points applied to the violator's privilege to apply for, purchase, or exercise the benefits conferred by any licenses issued by CPW. If a person accumulates 20 or more points within a five-year period, that person could be suspended from hunting and fishing for up to five years.
Additionally, possession of antlers during the closure on public lands west of I-25 can also be counted as a separate ($68) violation with each individual antler being considered a possible violation offense. In addition, apart from the new shed collection rules, harassing wildlife remains illegal and CPW officers will cite individuals for violating this existing regulation. Harassing wildlife is a $137 violation that also includes 10 license suspension points. A $2.50 DNA surcharge will also apply to each citation that an officer issuese to a violator.
What about private lands?
The CPW Commission chose not to include a private land requirement in its decision to enact a shed collection closure in Colorado. However, it is unlawful to collect sheds on private property unless a person has lawful access to that private property. Possession of antlers or horns on private property without lawful access is prohibited.
Is shed and horn collection growing in popularity?
Although shed collection is not a new activity in Colorado, there is evidence that it is rapidly growing in popularity. At the CPW Commission's January meeting, both the commissioners and members of the public noted they had seen a big increase in shed collection around the state, likely due to the substantial profit collectors can make from the sale of shed horns and antlers. Once considered a fun, recreational activity for families or the source of a unique medium for artisans, shed collection is now a major business. As a result, a growing number of people are participating. Unfortunately, too many shed collectors are focusing on financial gain rather than protecting wildlife, creating the need for new regulations.

In some states, you need a permit to collect sheds. Is Colorado considering the same?
The requirement of a priced permit for collecting shed antlers and horns is a novel concept that would be precedent-setting in the western U.S. Although the CPW Commission decided not to require a permit at its latest meeting, it is an issue it may revisit in the future.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Topcop
quote:
FYI the articles I've read have all stated that the CP&W has decided at this time not to charge any fees

Now I see you deleted your posts? good idea.

You must be watching every move I make to the point where you might be considered a stalker by some! Yes, I deleted ONE post with that sentence you quoted so I could actually go to the CP&W website and do a C/P of their actual citizen alert on the closure. You can read that in my other post and you'll see that the post I originally made that you had the big problem with is right on the money!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
I applaud their intent, but I have to ask the same questions I always ask when public lands get closed to hunters: What about hikers? What about bird-watchers? What about woodcutters? What about oil and mineral companies? What about all those other folks who have a right and are likely to be out stumbling around in the woods?

If you will read the CP&W alert I just posted it will answer your question, which IMHO was a good one!

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Wow Topcop you are in a dither to try to prove yourself the ultimate authority and to get the last word in, I guess that makes you feel like a "winner", whatever it takes I guess.
You must be having quite a time trying to control this thread and a couple others, ease up you over achiever I'm positive you will succeed in running each and every one of these threads into the ground so you can feel vindicated.
Good luck to you....

By the way when I talked to the CPW yesterday (3-20-18) they said they were still reviewing the licensing on shed hunting, the gentlemen I spoke with I've talked candidly with many times and he said if there is an opportunity to collect a license fee they will.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow Topcop you are in a dither to try to prove yourself the ultimate authority and to get the last word in, I guess that makes you feel like a "winner", whatever it takes I guess.
You must be having quite a time trying to control this thread and a couple others, ease up you over achiever I'm positive you will succeed in running each and every one of these threads into the ground so you can feel vindicated.
Good luck to you....

By the way when I talked to the CPW yesterday (3-20-18) they said they were still reviewing the licensing on shed hunting, the gentlemen I spoke with I've talked candidly with many times and he said if there is an opportunity to collect a license fee they will.

As long as a thread is ongoing I do believe I have a right to interject whatever I feel like and if you don't like what I post or how many posts I make then put me on ignore or kiss my ass whichever you prefer! As CHC sometimes says and it fits right here with you always having a problem since I made those posts about Aaron that you didn't care for: "Who made you a Moderator?" You have not said anything to contradict what I've posted and I could give a rat's ass who you talked to and what he said. What I C/Pd is directly from the Colorado website and the last paragraph deals with licensing. If it happens in the future, so be it, but the alert says that at this time there will be no license fee!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ONLY because they haven't decided how much
to charge yet.
Just give 'em time!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Topgun, Thanks for posting that summary of the law and reasoning behind it. It is much worse than what I had recalled hearing when it was first proposed. If they are serious about protecting wildlife winter range then close it to EVERYBODY! Singling out one group (shed hunters) while allowing everybody else to freely access the area is outrageous. They did not restrict any form of snowmobiling,ATV’s/OHV’s ,skiing,hiking,biking etc. It also does not apply to private lands. You guys should be very concerned about the enhanced punishment for picking up a shed by a licensed hunter( monetary fine PLUS accruing license suspension points) over the same act done by a non hunter (fine only). I would be very surprised if that will stand court scrutiny . The fact that they are probably also going to charge your for the permit just adds salt to the wound. I personally am tired of being continually singled out as a gun owner/sportsman and penalized for participating in those lawful activities. I wish you guys well in trying to clean up this mess. JCS

"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish you guys well in trying to clean up this mess. JCS

JCS it has become more difficult dealing with our CP&W since the Division of Wildlife merged with State Parks.
They merged the 2 entities because one was holding its own financially and the other was looking for a bail out for years.
They view hunters and fishermen as the "cash cow" and now at all levels we are dealing with non hunting and anti hunting Parks personnel who neither appreciate or understand the hunting aspect.
There attitude is that hunters are to finance all outdoor activities for the state yet they treat us with disdain.
I'm hoping a change of Governor will aid in righting the ship.

I wish I could remember the quote but someone said something to the effect that they will strip you of your rights and then sell them back to you in the form of a license or permit.
I'm about sick of that on all levels...

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Well, when you come up for the shoot this summer I can introduce you to a good realtor, you would fit right in up here! Smiler

P.S. I thought your new cash crop of "green gold" was going to pay for everything.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
Topgun, Thanks for posting that summary of the law and reasoning behind it. It is much worse than what I had recalled hearing when it was first proposed. If they are serious about protecting wildlife winter range then close it to EVERYBODY! Singling out one group (shed hunters) while allowing everybody else to freely access the area is outrageous. They did not restrict any form of snowmobiling,ATV’s/OHV’s ,skiing,hiking,biking etc. It also does not apply to private lands. You guys should be very concerned about the enhanced punishment for picking up a shed by a licensed hunter( monetary fine PLUS accruing license suspension points) over the same act done by a non hunter (fine only). I would be very surprised if that will stand court scrutiny . The fact that they are probably also going to charge your for the permit just adds salt to the wound. I personally am tired of being continually singled out as a gun owner/sportsman and penalized for participating in those lawful activities. I wish you guys well in trying to clean up this mess. JCS

It would be great if they could control all the other people that recreate just like it would be great if they could get remuneration of some sort from the bird watchers, photographers, etc., but it's not that way in any state the way things are set up at the present time. I agree that charging a fee of any type or even having to apply for a free permit is ridiculous, as is all the other punitive BS they came up with that would penalize a hunter over a bird watcher. Someone should appeal that through the court system and I would be surprised if at least part is not found unconstitutional. I hunt in Wyoming every year and have for 20 straight years and Wyoming has had a shed law for a few years now that seems to be working, but unfortunately it takes a lot of man hours on the winter range to police those who actually will even run the animals around to try to get them to drop their antlers. That has happened and is one reason the shed law was instituted there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I wish you guys well in trying to clean up this mess. JCS

JCS it has become more difficult dealing with our CP&W since the Division of Wildlife merged with State Parks.
They merged the 2 entities because one was holding its own financially and the other was looking for a bail out for years.
They view hunters and fishermen as the "cash cow" and now at all levels we are dealing with non hunting and anti hunting Parks personnel who neither appreciate or understand the hunting aspect.
There attitude is that hunters are to finance all outdoor activities for the state yet they treat us with disdain.
I'm hoping a change of Governor will aid in righting the ship.

I wish I could remember the quote but someone said something to the effect that they will strip you of your rights and then sell them back to you in the form of a license or permit.
I'm about sick of that on all levels...

From what I have heard from CO residents on the various hunting websites they say that the merger you mentioned was the worst thing that could ever have happened to the hunting/fishing public for exactly the reasons you stated!

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
And we were given no say no vote in the matter, just like the magazine ban and extended background check system.
Stroke of the pen by our inept governance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I cant imagine any politician in Idaho going for that, talk about short term success, and that's if he didn't get tarred and feathered and run out of the state...Idaho isn't a liberal state at all, in fact its dangerous for a liberal to travel out of Blaine county! jumping

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
My father is a retired BLM LEO.

I remember when I was in high school in Montana he had caught a father and son with several skulls and sheds in the back of their truck, parked on the side of the road. He hid his patrol vehicle in the timber and camped out and waited for them.

The area they were in was closed to shed hunting.

Ran him through FBI, and he had been a poacher and convicted felon and had no hunting rights.

Gave the guy a warning and confiscated his entire collection, he told me later on the state Game Wardens got that guy on poaching again a few years later.

Not everyone picking up sheds is doing it for fun, a lot of guys are selling them even if it isn't legal.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote