New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goliath whitetail
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Some of you might know the story behind Goliath. This buck used to live just a few miles from my property in PA. They used him for a breeder. The owner just fenced in a new area less than a mile from my place, where he is raising other deer produced from Goliath. While they are canned hunts in every sense of the word, I'm sure hoping that the fence gets cut someday (well, OK, not really, but...), or they somehow manage to get out, and spread those genes locally in the wild population. The deer that run my place run all around the fenced in area. A buddy owns land on the opposite side that I also hunt, so if any of this buck's genes make it into the local herds, I've got a shot at them! Smiler

Check this link for a picture of his antlers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7142021524&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cold Bore
Or you can just sneak in ,tranqualize it and drag it out like the other guys did gunsmile

Big-un

Posts: 81 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow - did someone really steal this buck? How could they not think they'd get caught?

For the life of me, I just don't understand the concept of a canned hunt anyway.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rattlesnaker:
Wow - did someone really steal this buck? How could they not think they'd get caught?

Yep. He was being raised as a breeder, and the owner was selling straws of semen to other breeders. Somebody actually stole him. Ironically, he was found only a few miles away, and the "new owner" claimed he knew nothing about it. DNA tests proved that he was indeed Goliath, and he was returned to the original owner. Unfortunately, he died an early death not long afterwards.

quote:
For the life of me, I just don't understand the concept of a canned hunt anyway.

I agree 100%. The sad part is that the guy bought land less than a mile from mine (literally over one hill), and fenced it in. It is purely a put & take proposition. There is no hunting involved, only shooting. But as long as people are willing to pay for that, guys will continue to offer it & profit from it...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big-un:
Or you can just sneak in ,tranqualize it and drag it out like the other guys did

No, I wouldn't do that, but I *DO* hope that somehow those genes get introduced into the local wild herd! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
is the guys name Jeff Spence that fenced that land in/ he's the guy that had Goliath when it was "found"/
He was brought up on charges for a number of items but none really stuck. He was never charged with stealing the deer either..rather he bought the deer from another breeder.
what he was guilty of is poor record keeping...I assume they charged him with that because he had no record of where he had gotten Goliath from.
The PGC also said he had too many deer on his deer farm for fenced area so he "sold some and gave others " to family memebers . The PGC was also forced to drop those charges to.
I know I guy that paid $6000 to shoot one of his whitetails, it scored 190+ B&C points. The guy said it was a good buy cause it would have cost him $10,000 in Texas to do the same thing. He got the deer mounted and has it in his dental office. I see it every time I get my teeth cleaned!