New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swarovski 8.5x42 EL
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This probably belongs in the optics category but this board seems to be frequented more.

I went by Sportman's Warehouse this weekend and now I've done it. I stopped by the binocular stand and looked through the Swarovski EL series as well as a pair of Kahles. The Kahles didn't seem much better than the 10x42 Wind Rivers I just purchased but now I've got to have a pair of the Swarovski's!

My question is this. I've use the Wind Rivers a little and noticed that they can be a tad difficult to immediately pick up what I want to see. From previous threads, I'm guessing that is due to the higher magnification. So, I'm leaning toward the 8.5's. The Wind Rivers also don't have adequate eye relief when I'm wearing glasses.

Is this a fair assumption or are the Swarovski's so much better quality that I would not have the same problem with the 10x magnification?

[ 08-13-2002, 02:04: Message edited by: parshal ]

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can find a pair to look at take a look through the Leica 8-12x42's. I've been looking at them along with several other models, including the Swaro's, and these are my favorites. I'm just not sure if I want to drop the cash at the moment.

One thing I really like about them is the distance the focusing mechanism travels. I have horrible eyesight without correction (glasses) and I always look at the maximum distance that a pair of binocs will bring things into focus when I'm using them without glasses. Cheaper binocs will be 100-200 yards and even the more expensive models tend to lose it before 300 yards. These Leica's are in a different world.

At 8x they were the best of those that I looked at but at 12x they simply blew everything else out of the water. I was looking from one end of the St. Louis BassPro shop through a window on the other side of the building, across a big parking lot, across a street and onto a brick wall allowing me to check focus easily. Many models wouldn't allow focus but the 8-12 Leica focused at 8 power and had room to spare at 12 power.

I'll stop now as you may not be cursed with poor eyesight like mine but I do encourage you to take a look at these. It's like getting two pair, an 8x and a 12x...and the clarity is there with any other model.

Later,

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure this is a stupid question but I would not think that a variable binocular could be a clear at all settings as a pair of top of the line fixed power. Believe me, I'm not trying to start a debate that leads to flames here. It would seem to me a fixed power would be more resilient although that doesn't seem to be the case with scopes.

What's the warranty on the Leica's? The technical specs on the web show them weighing about 10 oz. more than the Swaros. One thing I really like about the Swaros is the way they fit in your hand. You can wrap your entire hand around one side. They just feel comfortable. One strange thing is that the 10x swaros weigh less than the 8.5's.

[ 08-12-2002, 19:03: Message edited by: parshal ]

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I own the 10x42 EL and before used a 10x42 SLC. I'm used to the 10x, which I prefer because the added power makes it easier to assess an animal (NB. : I'm bound to a legal shooting plan, defining the numbers to be harvested as per age, sex, so details are important). The 8,5 has more FOV and is easier to hold steady but one soon learns to handle the 10x all right, by locking elbows against the chest when there's no rest available. About weight, the 8,5x is indeed a little heavier because 8,5x lenses are actually thicker than 10x.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see some places refer to the Swaros as WB's and other do not. What does that mean?

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Parshal,

I bought the Swarovski EL 8.5X42 last year based in part on the comparison test of high end binoculars that Eagle Optics did.

http://eagleoptics.com/pdf/EOComparesHighEnd.pdf

I replaced my Swarovski 10X42s with them, and I definitely prefer the ELs.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Parshal, "W" stands for "Weitwinkel" (German for wide angle) and "B" for "Brillentr�ger" (wearer of corrective glasses). Thus, "WB" provides full FOV after the oculars are screwed/pushed in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andr� Mertens:
Parshal, "W" stands for "Weitwinkel" (German for wide angle) and "B" for "Brillentr�ger" (wearer of corrective glasses). Thus, "WB" provides full FOV after the oculars are screwed/pushed in.

Does anybody use these with glasses? My Wind Rivers are almost useless when I wear my sunglasses.

one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of 8.5x42 ELs earlier this year. I also have a pair of 8x56 SLs that I have used for years. I compared the two, side by side, in a Canadian bear stand at last light and the ELs were brighter and had better color resolution in low light. They also had a wider field of view.

I took them to Africa this year and used them alongside a pair of 10x42 Zeiss binoculars and was not aware of a significant difference in magnification. There is a difference, but under field conditions the 8.5 ELs provided all the magnification I wanted with a larger field of view and sharper resolution.

I think the 8.5 ELs are the best all-around hunting binoculars available today.

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]Does anybody use these with glasses? My Wind Rivers are almost useless when I wear my sunglasses.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Sure, I wear glasses.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I just bought a pair of 8.5x42 EL's today. I tried the 8.5's and 10's both inside the store on wall mounts and outside. Inside, it appeared that the 10's were a bit brighter and, outside, the 8.5's were brighter. Both had the same amount of mirage and "shakiness" when looking at a distance. The difference in magnification seemed negilible although apparent.

I was a bit suprised that the 10's were a little lighter and shorter (I could tell both just by holding them). I was even more suprised that they were brighter inside (less light) and that the twilight factor suggested that as well.

One thing I like about the 8.5's is that I can wear my sunglasses and still get a perfect view. They have 18mm of eye relief while the 10's have 15mm. My Wind Rivers had 15mm and that was too short.

Man, these things sure are bright! It's like looking through a fine piece of optical equipment!

[ 08-25-2002, 05:09: Message edited by: parshal ]