New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airline Travel with Rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What's the latest on flying with firearms? From the threads I've seen here, I know to expect a) confusion, b) different rules depending on who's working that day, and c) confusion. I know to pack ammo separately and not to have any gun parts in carry-on luggage, but beyond that, what's the drill? Thanks, Okie John.

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Are you crossing boarders?
Domestic?
Another continent?

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
<TimB99>
posted
I traveled with firearms several times during 2002, most recently in November. Unless somehting has changed since then, here's the hoops I had to jump through.

If you're traveling within the confines of the lower 48 states, all you have to have is a lockable hard case, with lock(s.)

You will have to show proof that the firearm is unloaded, and sign a small manila-colored tag that goes in with the firearm.

Ammunition has to be stored separately from firearms, and you are limited to 11 pounds of ammunition.

Where they came up with 11 pounds? Who knows?

Tim

[ 02-06-2003, 18:17: Message edited by: TimB99 ]

posted Hide Post
Depending on the airline, you can now pack the ammunition with the guns, but the guns must be unloaded.

You present your guns for inspection to the ticketing agent. Once they see they are unloaded, you fill out the declaration and place it in the gun case.

You take the unlocked gun case over to the TSA screening area, show them the declaration, place it in the case, lock the gun case, and hand it to them.

That's it.

George
P.S. This is how it worked for me in January 2003.

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
maybe they figured if you can't hit it with eleven pounds of ammo, you shouldn't be hunting. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beemanbeme:
maybe they figured if you can't hit it with eleven pounds of ammo, you shouldn't be hunting. [Big Grin]

its five kilos.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Juneau>
posted
"packing ammo with guns"

For what its worth, I talked with Gracie Travel at SCI in Reno last week about this, and what they had learned was that "packing ammo with guns" is OK as long as the ammo is in a separate locked case. In other words, a locked ammo box within a locked gun case. Kind of a tough proposition with most gun cases, but you may be able to get away with it with something like a "Tuff Pak".

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you ammo doesn't fit in the gun case, put it in checked baggage. No airline that I have checked with requires the ammo to be in a locked container, only in a container designed to carry ammo. Ditto for TSA.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbrook
posted Hide Post
I have not had any problems with checking my rifles on hunting trips but there are a couple of new wrinkles that hit you in the pocket book if you are not careful. They are now only allowing two checked pieces of luggage per person. The third bag will now cost you something like an additional $75.00. They also now charge for any bag weighting more than 50 lbs, again something like $75.00. So if you have a third bag and it weights more than 50 lbs(a cooler with meat for example) it will cost you something like $150.00 for the item.

Posts: 522 | Location: SE MIchigan | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Gunnut45/454>
posted
mbrook
Your right it was just briefed to us in the military that unless where on official orders this applies to us as well. Thats why I drive, getting to be cheaper every day! [Big Grin]

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbrook:
They also now charge for any bag weighting more than 50 lbs, again something like $75.00.

Have you seen this in writing from any airline? You're the second person who claimed this was the case (he admitted it was hearsay), but I haven't heard anything from any of the airlines I am a frequent flyer with.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 11 pounds comes for the international convention allowing 5 kg's of ammo (5 kg's is 11 pounds).

Is TSA now allowing boxes designed for ammo rather than factory boxes now? For at least a while there was some confusion on this issue.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at the TSA website FAQs. Bring them with you to the airport.

NRA will have a piece on it, up on the NRA-ILA site soon.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to Hawaii. As for the $75 extra baggage fee, my father-in-law got hit with them on United and Hawaiian. That may vary, but with all the airlines in a financial bind, I'd expect it an all of them soon. Thanks for your help, Okie John.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I work for an airline, and I asked one of our ticket agents if the new baggage limits were FAA/TSA mandates, she said she assumed they were, since all the airlines had to comply with them. Most likely it's an attempt to cut down on bags to check, as the TSA intends on screening every checked bag.

As to the ammunition weight limit for checked baggage on domestic flights, it's 25 kg. This I know is true, as I bring back my .22 ammo by the case via the airline.

Oh, and many, many things have changed since Nov. 2002 in the airline business, in fact, they change almost daily with new security measures and regulations being implemented. If you plan a hunting trip, be sure to check with the airline frequently for the latest info.

Posts: 99 | Location: Cordova Alaska | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote