New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Rings????
 Login/Join

<JJS>
posted
I just picked up my new Win. M70 .300WSM today. I live in an area where gun shops are few and don't have a great selection.

My question is: I'm going to mount a Leupold VariX-III 2.5x8x40 on this gun and want to know what you recommend for a base & rings. (No quick detach)

I'll order them online, so if you can give me a website and part number I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

JJS

<Big Stick>
posted
I favor Leupold dual dovetails and Burris posilign rings.

All vendors stock that combo...............

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Bigstick.Me 2

------------------
I HUNT LONG RANGE.AND YES I USE MATCHKING'S.

<Gunner>
posted
Make it three votes for the Leupold DD bases and Burris posalign or Signature rings...

VR,

Kevin

<sure-shot>
posted
I like em too except I go with Leupold DD rings and lap em. If you go this route I would go with the LOW rings. www.grafs.com has em, look under Leupold optics and view all products. You did not mention what finish you prefer so can't help you on the product #s. sure-shot

<MontanaMarine>
posted
Nothing wrong with leupold.

Talley is another good option. Here is a link with images and order info if you like them. Thet make QD and standard rings. MM

http://www.huntamerica.com/talley.htm

<10point>
posted
With my new .375 Im going to try the new Leo QR rings and the QR bases. Ive always done well with Leo rings and bases so Im going to give their new QR stuff a try.

Im willing to bet they are on par with Warne. I'll report any problems...............10

one of us
posted Hide Post
I vote for the leupold dual-dove tail. Be cautious of the chart that Leupold has on the applications though. The last set I ordered said a low set of dd rings would fit a Vari-X11 4x12 and it wouldn't on a Rem 700VS.Crowcommander

Posts: 26 | Location: Gurdon,Ar. | Registered: 29 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also vote for the leupold dual dovetails. Many folks like the burris rings with the plastic inserts but I have never had any problems with the standard leupold DD setup so that's what I'll keep using. I think the burris rings are ugly as well. A M70 .300 WSM scoped with a leupold vari-XIII 2.5x8x36 takes low rings. I know because that's what's on my M70 stainless .300 WSM that's sitting in my safe right now. The part number for the M70 dual dovetail bases are #50045 blued and #50046 matte blued. Low DD rings are #49914 blued and #49915 matte blued. Unfortunately leupold discontinued their silver dual dovetail bases for the M70 so you can't them unless you find someone with an old stock. I've got a set but I'm not giving them up. Hope this helps.

one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
My Model 70 Classic Featherweight .300WSM has Leupold Vari-X II 2-7x33 in Leupold STD bases and Low rings - works just fine.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
<monz>
posted
I use Redfield rotary, which are very good. I dont know if they make them anymore but they are good and cheap.

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
"I use Redfield rotary, which are very good. I dont know if they make them anymore but they are good and cheap."

Like....say....maybe....a Leupold scope?

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
A dovetail,is a dovetail,in my opinion. I prefer the sculpture of the Leupold offering,to the others.

To further enhance that rugged design,you can weld or epoxy the rings. After indexing them square,remove the base and ring in a single component and weld or epoxy,the exposed underside of the dovetail ring in it's hollow recess.

The strength of the live center rings for me,is the ability to stab in 40MOA elevation capability,with great strength and minimal fuss.

Further,they require no lapping,won't mar tubes and are otherwise "sanitary".

Works for me and well.............

<Reloader66>
posted
Put Burris Signature series rings and their bases. The Burris Signature Series rings are self centering and eliminate the need to lap your scope rings for perfect allignment. In my view the Burris Signature Series scope rings are the best inovation in scope mounts in years.