New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whitetail
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wondering what you all would consider to be a deer of a liftime for you. I live in Southwest Kansas and the best I have got is a 140 in. 8pt.

Posts: 135 | Location: sw kansas | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by willimon1:
I was wondering what you all would consider to be a deer of a liftime for you. I live in Southwest Kansas and the best I have got is a 140 in. 8pt.

Nothing wrong with a 140" whitetail, I don't have one. If I am being honest about what I would consider "the buck of a lifetime" I would have to say a free range, 170". No easy task, but we did say buck of a lifetime.....

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
That would beat all of my good deer I have killed here in Missouri.

I have 4 good ones in my life all are under 130.

A 140" 8 pointer is HUGE!!!!

These are 3 good ones from the last 6 years. I don't have a digital of the one I killed in 92 (it's a 120" 8) I will try to scan one up later.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I say 140 but he netted only 137. I had some pics on my phone but needless to say it is in the bottom of a lake. I will have some this fall when I get him back from the taxidermist. I have had deer on my mind for the last few weeks and I am anxious for the upcoming season.

Posts: 135 | Location: sw kansas | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
I am also getting pumped up for the upcoming deer season !
This is my best whitetail to date... 139 4/8 (143 gross) ten point, not a monster to some, but a good buck for my area here in Alabama. What makes it the deer of a lifetime to me is the fact it was killed with a bow here on my own farm in 2008 and it made the Pope & Young record book ! Having bowhunted for over thirty years, getting a P&Y whitetail has been a goal of mine for a long time.
Andy

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are all beautiful animals my dream whitetail weighs 300 pounds I don`t care to much about the antlers they don`t taste good

Peta people for the ethical taking of antlers

God loves you

Posts: 107 | Location: sumner, wa | Registered: 18 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be pretty happy with a 140" 8 point...in fact, I'd be extatic!
My best typical to date is an approximately 120" (gross) 8 point, and my best non-typical is a mature 11 point that I haven't tried to work out a non-typical score on, but his "typical" side went between 60 to 65" without spread, so given a matching other side (it wasn't) and an average spread, he would've scored around 135" (as a 10 point), give or take...and both of those were Missouri bucks.

Down here in the dog-running, pine thicket, shoot everything you see sub-tropics of south MS, a 100" buck will get most men giddy...it's all in what you're used to. Roll Eyes

Man, I miss Missouri! Frowner

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."

Posts: 411 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: 10 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you know what makes these deer a "trophy"?

the pride you guys show, when talking about
and showing them to the rest of us. tu2

better not show me a 140" 8pt come October
i'll be standing on the top rail
crowing like a rooster!

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I guess it would depend on the area you hunt and how much time, effort and $ you devote to upgrading the headgear.

As mentioned in some areas a 140" deer is a great buck, other areas you would hope to produce a 170+" for a lifetime of hunting.

For me I was lucky enough to get to hunt whitetails twice and I'm calling this 130-140" buck my whitetail of a lifetime.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Kyler,

That thing is a brute.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
140" is very respectible

Posts: 1458 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
Here in PA (the land that Gary Alt built) my "dream buck" would have both sides........ a "PA non-typical" if you will. hilbily

Anywhere else, where whitetails grow into something, my dream buck would be a Booner typical.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Here are my "big 4" and as I said at the top, all are under 130"

I am equally proud and blessed to have killed any of them.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
For me it's the first buck my son puts on the ground. He hunted last year and missed his shots. No knock on him, we hunt on our legs and both of the deer were real stalks and shots from field positions. He was 9.
I have a several 135-145's Whitetails here in KS and back home in CO, we threw 180+ 4x4's under the fuel tank as a matter of course and the dogs chewed them up. At that time, we just hunted, admired and ate well. I have only one mule deer rack from all my years growing up and it is far, far from my best one.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted....I'm surprised that one on the bottom is under 130.....you sure?

Since I've been lucky enough to hunt MT for the last 5 years....my standards have changed. Until,and if, I'm lucky enough to shoot a 180+ I'm not gonna be satisfied......but I'm still damn thankful for EVERY deer I shoot.

There are some big bucks in NH but they are few and far between......not a single hunter lets bone walk by in this state.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
Ted....I'm surprised that one on the bottom is under 130.....you sure?

Since I've been lucky enough to hunt MT for the last 5 years....my standards have changed. Until,and if, I'm lucky enough to shoot a 180+ I'm not gonna be satisfied......but I'm still damn thankful for EVERY deer I shoot.

There are some big bucks in NH but they are few and far between......not a single hunter lets bone walk by in this state.

Yes I'm sure of the scores.

I have laid a tape on a bunch of deer that friends and family thought would make a certain score, but most , if not all,
fall short of speculation.

Kind of like actually putting a fish on a scale instead of just guessing the weight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is my personal best. He grossed 182 and netted 170 5/8 just barely making the book.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
Here is my personal best. He grossed 182 and netted 170 5/8 just barely making the book.

Beautiful deer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some mighty fine deer and pix.
Not trying to piss on your post,
but,

I hunt Texas on low fenced ranches. Never paid more than $1,700 per year for an annual trespass fee. Usually can take tag limits, plus unlimited hogs, varmints, exotics.
In all my years of hunting(+/- 52 yrs.) I've never scored a buck. If it makes my heart thump, and its time, I take him. If not, he walks. Culls are a different story. If they are true culls they die.

Some that made my heart go thumpity-thump.........

Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the past 13 years my family has semi managed and worked our butts off on a small STX ranch and brought in some party girls to expand our gene pool. In all those years we have killed 1 trophy buck. My Dad shot him last year and to this day, he's never been scored. He's wide, dark, heavy and absolutely magnificent. If scored, I'd bet he wouldn't go 150, but he is one hell of a trophy.
As for me, I've passed up umpteens of good bucks and shot on site the jesses. When my sweat equity buck presents himself, I'll know it. What will he score, who cares ?

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Willimon 1

I spent all my white tail hunting experience in NY and hunted in the Adiroundacks and in the Catskills (our mountain areas -Wsterners would sneer at our "mountains")Smiler I think that the white tail of a lifetime doesn't depend on weight or points. I tnink it depends on your personal experience with that white tail then and there. One time, as a teenager, I stood on one side of a really big spruce tree and it had been snowing for hours. Finally,(in case you don't know, spruce branches grow thick together and right down to the ground)I decided that I had better start getting back to the road and stepped out. Just at that moment, a small buck (maybe 130 lbs, we never bothered to weigh in those days)stepped out from just the other side of the same spruce! We looked at each other in shock, the buck recovered first and took off. I dropped him (Marlin 336, 35 Rem.). He was my most memorable buck and never forgotten. THat's my point. You dropped a very clever animal and how big he was or how many points is only a photo opportunity - It has nothing to do with your personal experience -right then and there. That's the memory that no photograph can duplicate.

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted Hide Post
Geedubya, those are some beautiful bucks. The first one looks like a cross between a mulie and a whitetail. Awesome trophies.

But I will say this... there is no such thing as a "Cull" deer. Its a term trophy management areas use and its scientifically incorrect. Probably why "Cull" deer typically come from Texas.

Posts: 177 | Location: Savannah, GA | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
The buck of a lifetime for me would be a big, wide typical mainframe 12 pointer with about a 10 inch droptine on one side

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skyjacker, I suggested to my buds that it was a cull. Five years old and no brow tine. Thats a cull in my book. Ha.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Skyjacker, I suggested to my buds that it was a cull. Five years old and no brow tine. Thats a cull in my book. Ha.
GWB

Exactly. Its a generic term that has no scientific data to support it. Its just a matter of opinion on what you consider a shootable buck. A "Cull" deer by your book can and has passed on genetic traits that are not considered "cull".

I don't subscribe to trophy management. I do subscribe and support QDM because it is based on science and no QDM expert recognizes the term "Cull". Its a big game ranch term to make money off of average bucks. Has no bearing on rack traits.

Game ranches that practice "Culling" deer ten years later are still "Culling" deer. If it worked, they woudn't have to continue to cull deer.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Its just a pet peeve of mine when someone uses the term "cull deer". Its like a disease that has spread amongst the deer hunting community.

Posts: 177 | Location: Savannah, GA | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
The buck of a lifetime for me would be a big, wide typical mainframe 12 pointer with about a 10 inch droptine on one side

Um, hell yeah.......I'm all about junk too.

Wish that 12 I shot last year had some junk.....

M16.....that's a beauty.....if that's a TX buck, what did he weigh....140? Big Grin

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wonder if david morris is a
trophy deer manager?
or a
quality deer manager?

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
ohio buck last year

Ky Buck last year

generally shoot a big bodied younger buck of 2 to 3 years, 120 to 140 class --- but very good to eat.

Posts: 5709 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote