THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: "Bang / Flop" Load For Whitetails

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: "Bang / Flop" Load For Whitetails
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Quote:

This aint no BS. It happened to me, rather my hunting buddy. I was there. Right at dark he made a neck shot at a deer at about 100yds. I was at his deer with the truck about 10 min after the shot. We threw him in the truck. About 5 min later we were at a cross fence gate. The deer had stood up in the back of the truck. It jumped out and ran off. We found no blood in the truck or at the sight that night or the next morning. All we found were a few hairs at the shot sight. Only thing we could figure is it 'nicked' and 'stunned' him. Bang Flop? capt david

HOW DID IT GET UP AND RUN IF IT WAS GUTTED??

I have found that a thorough field dressing will keep them from doing that sort of thing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My dad always said, "If you don't want them to run, better get a little bone with the shot." This has been true for me for most of my hunting.

Posts: 32 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had great luck with trophy bonded bear claws in 270 and 300 win mag. 30-06 should behave similarly.

I would suggest you use a strong 150 grain bullet (barnes, nosler, trophy bonded) and learn to take high shoulder shots trying to hit the spine or very close to it.

David

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Firstshot,

I am from West Monroe but, I currently live in Minden, LA.

I have hunting property in Minden, Marion, Ruston, and Oak Grove so, I guess you could say I hunt all over the North Part of the state.

In my 30-06, I shoot the 150 grners and in the 300 WSM I have been shooting the 180s. The 300 is a new rifle so, I haven't tried it on game yet (Hopefully Oct. 24 it will get matched up w/ a good Bull Elk). I shoot the 140 & 150 NBTs in my 7mm Rem Mag, 115s in my 25-06, and the 130, 140 , & 150s in my 270 win. The NBTs have been superb bullets from small deer sized game to 500# Russian Boar. The 140s and below work great on small deer sized game (175# and below) and the 150s work good on the bigger animals. I don't think you will have any problems w/ the NBTs or the Sierra BTSPs, they are both great bullets.

In the 06' the 150s seem to like 49 grains of H4895 for my rifle and the 180s seem to like H380 in a friend's that I reload for. If you would like anymore data, shoot me a pm.

These cool snaps have got my trigger finger itching pretty bad. I have been shootin' the bow and I am ready to "Put the Gig" on a whitetail.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote