New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheep Rifles
 Login/Join

<rws2>
posted
What rifle/caliber do you use to hunt sheep with?
I'm going to West Texas to hunt Free-Ranging Aoudad this coming January.I'll be using my Stainless A-Bolt in 7mm Rem Mag. shooting 160gr.Nosler Partitions.
I'm just curious what everyone elses choices are for sheep hunting. rws2

[ 08-03-2002, 16:39: Message edited by: rws2 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a custom built on a stainless 700 action,26" match grade barrel and mcmillan stock.It weighs just over 9lbs with the 3x10x42 swarovski scope mounted and is chambered in 7mmstw.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
When I hunted sheep(before my knee became to badly injured)I used a Brown Precision Remington 700 in 7mm Remington Magnum,, a Leupold 3x9, and Federal Premium 160 grain Nosler Partitions. I have a beautiful 32 inch Aoudad, 38 1/2 inch Dall, and a 38 inch Stone, all taken with this combo.

<green 788>
posted
Wouldn't sheep rifles, at least according to Buell, be the rifles used by the great unwashed, simply because someone else is using such a rifle? [Razz]

Sorry, had to get that in there!

Every one of those critters that has been taken in my family (not one yet by me, though... [Frown] ) has been taken with the .270 win, shooting 130 grain Remington or Winchester bullets. The most common load was 58 grains of H4831, though one shooter (my uncle's shooting partner) used 60 grains in his rifle. Both recipes worked, and both men have the mounted heads to prove it...

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rws2:
I'm going to West Texas to hunt Free-Ranging Aoudad this coming January.

Tell us more about your hunt (who you're going with, is it hard to get a tag, etc.) -- Ross Seyfried has a cool article about one in the current issue of Rifle. He used a .270 WSM with 140-gr. FailSafes.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A plain old .270 Win. with 150 gr. Nosler Partitions in A Ruger mod 77 with a set of open sights in case something happens to the scope. It's costing us too much to fly into the Brooks Range to take a chance by not having a set of back up sights. The scope is a Leupold 2-7x. Don't need anything bigger. The sheep I've seen taken were all at less than 200 yds. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
<rws2>
posted
John Frazer,
Heres the low down on my Aoudad Hunt.
There is no closed season on them in Texas but you must buy a $35.00 Nonresident lisc.
I booked my hunt thru Cabela's with Gene Nixons Desert Mountain Hunts.He has a web site and there it will tell you about everything you want to know. www.desertmountainhunts.com
I'm chomping at the bit so to say as I booked this hunt over a year ago and now I'm down to the last 5 1/2 months of this long wait. rws2

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have used a 300 Win Mag in the past, but when I decided a light weight rifle is a real advantage when hunting sheep and goat, I had a custom 6.5 Gibbs built. It is based on a Rem 700 action which was turned to reduce weight, with a light contour Douglas barrel and a PRI composite stock. I have a Leupold M8 6x scope on it, and all dressed up it weighs 7lbs. I shoot 140gr Sierra Game Kings or Nosler Partitions, and it is my ultimate mountain rifle.

It must be lucky too, cuz the first sheep I shot with it was a 45 1/2" stone. [Big Grin]

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Ruger 257 Roberts with a 117gr GKBT was 37 inches and a redfield 3 x 9 scope hope you have a good trip and much luck getting your sheep > Coyote Slayer

Posts: 46 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I use my Remington 700 in 30/06 I have a 2.5 x8 Leupold Var III. I use 180 grain "Hornady" spire point bullets. My reloads are 56 grains of IMR 4350, Win primers. I have a wood stock on my rifle, fiberglas would probably be better. But I like the knicks, straches, gouches etc in the wood. Those are memories to me of each hunt !!

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifle's Inc lightweight strata in 280 Remington... S&b 3x12x50... that would be my dream sheep rifle, but in reality for a sheep hunt I would splurge and have a mcmillian Mauser classic stock installed on my 50's era Husqvarna 30,06 and go from there...

Posts: 935 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 June 2001Reply With Quote