THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Are we seeing the feminisation of hunting?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are we seeing the feminisation of hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Saw a post the other nite where someone said,
heck I was drunk when I posted that.
Well I'm not drunk, but have had a couple toddys. Not stoned, so no profound revelations here.

Got to reflecting on some of the threads here as of late in regards to posting pix of animals with blood and tissue damage(heaven knows, that/s "yucky" and so "gauche") Then you have the requisite TV shows featuring hosts that look and act orgasmic when "harvesting" whatever. Tears in their eyes and all kind of flapdoodle. Naturally they are wearing the latest style and fashion in camo clothing and scent control,(shampoo, body wash, gum, mouthwash, cover scent, etc.), camo makeup, camo underwear, bone collector bracelets (made of plastic). Whether they are wearing patent leather pumps, as foot gear, I'm not privy to that.
Drives me friggin nuts.
The fact is, if I'm sittin' on a ridge 50' up and 250 yds away with the wind blowin' in my face and smokin' a stogie, and ain't had a bath in a week, them dumb animals that are my quarry ain't got a clue as long as I'm still and don't go to dancin' before I pull the trigger. Your thoughts.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Yes the average hunting show is full of over-acting crybabies.

Yes have emotion when you hunt, but to be moved to the point where you are doing a touchdown dance after every animal is nonsense.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Give me a moment" Stan may well be the most emotional or the best actor of the lot. I say give him a Oscar!

one of us
posted Hide Post
With the hunting shows being semi reality tv you just gotta have "drama" and emotion. How would it look neck shooting a deer and dropping it on the spot? While calmly smokin' a stogie and showing some reverence for the animal's life you have just taken?

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was watching a show on ESPN the other morning, maybe Sunday/Saturday, about hunting stags. Stalk made, shot taken, THEN they show a dead animal. The camera panned back to the hunter instead of showing the impact. Now I'm no satist but to not show the impact...come on. Of course the dancing and high fiving started.

Flip side. How about all the red neck shows on Sportsmens channel. Good night! One show even was in a gas station diner interviewing the fry cooks. Only in America by God!

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Naturally they are wearing the latest style and fashion in camo clothing and scent control,(shampoo, body wash, gum, mouthwash, cover scent, etc.), camo makeup, camo underwear, bone collector bracelets (made of plastic). Whether they are wearing patent leather pumps, as foot gear, I'm not privy to that.
Drives me friggin nuts.

There are "gear queers" in all walks of life.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yuppies and bubbas w/ guns--or fishing rods--and now everything is "extreme". If it's not extreme, it just won't sell. Once you shoot something or hook a fish, you have to act like you just won the lottery. Jackasses.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and "these" are the people who represent "us"
the only exposure alot of people get when
it comes to hunting and shooting sports

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Bring back Cindy Garrison!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea, where did Cindy go?

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
where do most old worn out models go besides Bill Clinton's office or back for another face lift,

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never watch so called "hunting shows" after my first few experiences -for all the reaosns listed in this thread. They seem posed and with film tape snipped together so as to make it look continuous.

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I do not think it has anything to do with feminazation, I think it is a side symptom of Political Correctness.

Too much of the worlds/America's population has grown up in a "Packaged-Sterilized" society.

Too many folks feel that there is too much negativity in the world, which actually translates into Real Reality, that they want to gloss things over.

Point in fact from ongoing private observations I have been making over the past 30 years.

The average, non-hunting, even borderline animal rights folks look upon a european mount of a trophy animal that was hunted and killed, differently than a "stuffed" taxidermy mount.

Without the fake eyes and the fur and the pose, it is just a skull, bones with other bones attached.

The process for the object in question was the same, someone made the decision to kill the animal, but the bare skull does not present the same mental image to the folks.

In fact it takes on a more ancient mystical context that people actually appreciate as an art form.

Take Georgia O'Keefe's painting of the deer skull on the wall, it is accepted art, not Bambi's head staring out at you.

Also, IMO it reverts back to the concept that so many folks have grown up where hunting as many of us learned it, was not an intregal or accepted part of their upbringing.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see a lot of Pink/Camo deer blinds being sold. Guys who are selling them tell me that guys buy them because their wives/daughters/girlfriends like thema and will hunt with them in the Pink/Camo blinds.

What ever works...

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aliveincc:
Yuppies and bubbas w/ guns--or fishing rods--and now everything is "extreme". If it's not extreme, it just won't sell. Once you shoot something or hook a fish, you have to act like you just won the lottery. Jackasses.

Mostly Bubbas, and yes bring back Cindi!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
" Are we seeing the feminisation (sp)of hunting?"

The short answer is a resounding- YES.

The USA is NOW a matriarchal society--PERIOD.

AND it is our fault.

The number of families in this country with a male parent ACTIVELY engaged in parenting is at an all time low,

Political Correctness is merely a symptom of the situation.

( This discussion will probably need to be relocated to the ARPF for further detail.)

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One question for DuggaBoy and the rest fearful of this perceived feminazation, if it keeps hunting alive so that we can enjoy it, what is the harm?????

How many of you macho gtoobers are ready to see hunting brought to an end because of a lack of interest?

Grow a spine and some nuts and realize we need anyone and everyone available to get interested in the sport and start participating.

Read some GD statistics folks, the average age of male hunters is increasing annualy and the sales of hunting license is decreasing.

How many of us want to be relegated to setting our asses on the porch talking about when we could hunt, simply because we turned our collective backs on new hunters because of their age or sex???

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see a lot of Pink/Camo deer blinds being sold. Guys who are selling them tell me that guys buy them because their wives/daughters/girlfriends like thema and will hunt with them in the Pink/Camo blinds.

What ever works...

Ryan covers it pretty well right there.

Who the hell really cares if there is a feminazation of hunting, as long as the sales of hunting licenses and the interest in hunting slows its decline.

We need to worry about attracting new folks to hunting regardless of their sex.

It is a point in fact that the average age of hunters is increasing, the sales of hunting license are decreasing and the recruitment of new hunters is declining.

Where does the point get reached where that the anti's can come forth with evidence that due to the overall decline in interest in the sport, that the various Game and Fish departments need to re-focus their efforts toward the non-consumptive outdoor activities, i.e., that translates into closing hunting seasons and taking public land out of hunting programs.

I don't really see a feminazation, as much as I see manufacturers and people in the retail business pandering toward a modestly growing segement of the population, I sort of had the simplistic idea that was a prime requesit of capatalism, find a group to sell to and provide the stuff they want to buy.

Flame away or screw yourselves or whatever, but we need to stop worrying about any perceived threats to our masculinity, and truthfully, if you ain't man enough to be not concerned about this BS, cut'em off and squat to pee.

We need to worry about keeping hunting alive and well, not set back and wait for the enevitable, that is what our Dear President In Office.

I will be damn glad when hunting seasons start so people can think about important stuff.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
One question for DuggaBoy and the rest fearful of this perceived feminazation, if it keeps hunting alive ---

so that we can enjoy it, what is the harm?????

It won't "keep hunting alive"

I agree it does no harm.

I am not addressing girls or women hunting--

rather the "PC " aspects.

Women in my family hunted as I grew up.

The issue is the verbiage, censorship, poltical

power of women (it was the women voters that

gave us Clinton and Obama)

This is not about chauvinism--

this is about influence and direct

participation by men rather than abrogation.

A few women in TV shows does not reflect the

onslaught against hunting.

If a few sets of Pink Camo and cute figures get

a larger market share of viewers that's great.

The change I'm speaking of runs deep into the

societal fabric--through the educational system,

MSM, etc.

A few token women on TV and an uptick in

women's hunting gear sales will not be enough

to stop it.

A grass roots re-involvement in community by

MEN at all levels-PTA, Big Brothers, Scouts,

etc--

By far and away-- the men of this nation have

abrogated child rearing and related activities

to women--more importantly-- women who are not

the mothers or grandmothers of their children.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see sense in what you are saying, but using your examples, are you implying that hunting is a basically dead issue and we are all just biding our time till it is over?

If not, than taking into consideration our modern society, how do you propose we as a group get more Males interested in the sport?

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I do not see it as getting more males in the sport.

I see it as re-establishing male presence in

PTA, 4-H, etc, etc

When I have tried to get help with youth

activities-- the "can't, too busy" answer

(though understandable particularly in this

economy) doesn't cut it.

What will kill hunting is the same thing that

is killing this country--

"Some one else will do it"

"I forgot to vote, I was working"

"This will pass , America is strong--Besides

What does one vote count"

etc,

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay to redirect or clarify my question, and I do agree with your comments, but do you see things changing in time to save hunting for future generations?

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
My crystal ball is cloudy.

I hope enough people realize what a precious

commodity was created in 1776.

That Federalism is not nationalization,

that a Republic is not a pure Democracy;

that rights are not from the government or the

judiciary;

that if you want a strong community --YOU must

participate;

that the future of hunting is inextricably

related to rights and freedoms that we are so

easily letting slip away.

I can but hope and work .

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We were given the right to bear arms.

At No Point does it say anything about the right to hunt!

If so, show us.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duggaboye does a great job of amplification of some of the societal effects of "feminisation"

As often happens, perception is reality. Maybe a continuation of the question is " are we seeing the "chickification" of hunting.
I'm no misogynist. I love everything about women. But I'm not one and don't think like one.

Perhaps you've read the joke in the humor forum that goes something like the following
womans reflection of the day.
Bob came home tonight. He hardly spoke. Ate his dinner and went to his room. The lady wonders, whats wrong.
They have sex. After, she is thinking..... Did I do something wrong. Is he bored with me. Are my grey roots showing. Do I need to get my nails done. Maybe I need to tone my butt. I wonder if he's seeing his secretary. and 100 other introspective questions, remains awake for a couple of hours.
Bob ......
Hell of a day. Got a ticket, broke my best fishing rod. Well at least I got laid. Asleep in two minutes.

Used to be men delivering the news. What do you see on local news today. Chicks. What is the content, you know what it is, stuff that interest women, but it is not news.

My wife is like many women. If there isn't an inside toilet, she ain't going. She told me thirty something years ago. If she's got to squat, she ain't going. She don't mind taking meat or fish out of a package, but killing and skinning. Forget it. If I tell her about callin' in varmints or a stalk I put on an animal, her eyes glaze over.

Hunting used to be about providing and provender. Today its mostly sport. For a few of us it is literally called out of us. Hunting is not harvesting, its killing. I subscribe to the Dominion covenant, as given in Genesis, ie: man has dominion over the birds of the air and the beasts of the field. I kill 'em and eat em. I think Bob in Texas has a great signature line. "There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes." I kill em' dead. I eat em. I don't fret about how they feel about being shot or whether it hurts em. They are animals for xxxx sake, put here by the Creator for my sustenance, since the fall.

Lets see, these days you're supposed to wash with the correct no scent soap. Ya wear the correct cammo underwear, ya wipe with cammo toilet paper. Ya wear the latest in designer camo gear and wear cammo makeup use cover scents even though your sitting in an elevated deer blind 150 yds. away from a feeder or a food source.
Reminds me of a chick gettin' ready for work or going out on a date.

You see some blood on an animal, and immediately, your reaction is, what would the neighbors (in this case the anti's) say? Hell he's been shot. What does the good book say. The life is in the blood. Ya stopped his heart beating and destroyed his CNS. How else could ya get him in the cooler.
As an aside to another related thread.........
As to posting pix. I enjoy the pix of the other posters. Be it landscapes, food, beverage, live and dead game, guns, motorcycles etc. I don't ascribe their motives as being puffery or defining their masculinity. Rather sharing their likes and interests with like minded individuals. Seems like I heard somewhere that "a picture is worth a thousand words".
End of Rant.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about the bass fisherman fishing in competitions on ESPN. Their behavior is becoming embarrassing.The idea of fishing for the love of the sport has now been overcome by the quest for money and for fame on t.v. thumbdown

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I disagree. It's not girls, women or women's thoughts that are causing your issue. It is URBANIZATION.

BTW- I didn't give you Obama and very few of the women I know voted for him. That includes my mother! So don't blame us.

~Ann

Posts: 19280 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with that rant and I subscribe to most of it.

I guess I have a different twist on the situation however as I am married to a woman that does not mind sqatting in the woods or drip drying.

She loves to fish and does not mind cleaning what she catches.

She doesn't have the same feelings toward hunting that I day, but she has made plenty of one shot kills on deer and drug them to the stand and gutted them, with no problem or gripes or whining.

I also know a few other ladies that fit in that same category.

I normally hunt in blue jeans and a tee shirt, abnd only use camo when hunting waterfowl.

I don't worry about how many times I haver to shoot something to get it down and dead if the first shot ain't perfect, but I don't like ruining a lot of meat either.

What you and some people seem to feel as a "Pussyness" change in hunting, to me is just a movement that retailers and a lot of the younger/inexperienced PC crowd have set in motion.

Not displaying photos of mangled animals, covering up dead deer when in public, not going into the local Dairy Queen wearing bloody clothes at lunch on Sunday in a small town right after church has let out and most of those folks are coming in to eat, not setting around such a place and bragging about shots made and messed up or how bad a hog you shot stunk while those folks are trying to eat, has nothing to do with being a pussy, it has to do with plain old fashioned everyday Common Courtesey.

How many of you involved in this discussion of the 50 year plus crowd will stand up and say they were not taught courtesey by their parents and grand parents?

We were, or at least I was, and while I might dearly love something, such as hunting and have no trouble being seen in public covered in blood and smelling of dead critters, I am aware of the effect that sort of thing can and does have on others, even fellow hunters and fishermen.

I to think this whole camo craze has gotten way out of hand.

In fact when I am booking clients for my Javelina hunts, if the client asks me what type of camo to wear on the hunt my standard answer is whatever will make them feel most comfortable in camp.

Javelina can't see worth a crap and could care less if you were out there in formal evening wear.

Something is being lost alright in regards to hunting and the outdoors, and that has to do with peoples attitudes, even mens attitudes toward them.

My Dad rarely ever hunted, and when he did it was not for sport, he was born in 1897 and raised my two half brothers during the Depression.

His thoughts on hunting were either for meat or for furs to sell, nothing more.

I gotinto hunting on my own in the mid 60's and have never regretted it.

I regret what I am seeing happen to hunting and fishing today and how it has changed over the past 30 years especially.

I pray quite often that I do not live to see the death of hunting, but I am beginning to have my doubts.

There are too many people on the planet, there is too much technology out on the market and because over the past 20 years or so, marketers have found ways to sell totally useless crap to the modern generation of hunters, and it seems like they are all lined up waiting for the next big thing to hit the market.

I don't agree with the "Feminazation or Pussyfacation" of hunting, I see a complete loss of the concept of what hunting is supposed to be and how people should feel about it.

I am seeing it being more commercialized and pre-packaged with all kinds of products hitting the market daily that takes all of the fun stuff out of the sport.

I just do not see where blaming this change on women as being productive for anyone.

Everyone that is involved just stop for a second and inventory your own personal hunting gear.

How many of you go out and buy the latest camo/range finder/blinds/game cams/atv's and the list goes on.

When was the last time you just got up put on an old pair of boots, jeans, shirt and jacket and just picked up your rifle and some shells and went out and actually hunted something?

I have no problem with technology when it is used to enhance a persons abilities, my problem is when technology is used to make up for a lack of abilities.

ATV's have their place, as do range finders in some instances and GPS monitors but so many people any more show up in camp with a ton of gadgets and gizmos that the only time they pull them out is when setting around the campfire at night to compare toys with the other kids in camp.

I see folks getting ready to be taken out to a stand that they will hunt out of and be picked up at after the hunt is over, fill a back pack with all their gadgets, to set and watch a feeder, 125 yards away from a heated blind, and all they are going to have to do, is if something shootable comes in, stick the barrel out the window get the sight picture and pull the damn trigger.

To those men out there, the ones that are not getting afraid of calling themselves a man at least, I pity you if you have a wife/girlfriend that does not at least partially share your interest in hunting and fishing, it does make life more bearable if they do.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
We were given the right to bear arms.

At No Point does it say anything about the right to hunt!

If so, show us.

WE were not GIVEN anything by-

the Declaration of Independence or the

Constitution--

RIGHTS we already HAD were PARTIALLY described-

AND SOME were particularly ENUMERATED that a

government could NOT infringe.

Hunting though mot enumerated has always been

involved in the rights that pertain to self

preservation and was quite well understood and

discussed by the founders.

The concept of--

the KING"S deer and KING'S hunting grounds were

never allowed here.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Semantics be damned, Hunting is now and always has been a Priveldge, not a right.

Go your ass out there and break a few game laws and get caught and see just how fast your so called right to hunt will be taken away from you.

quote:
The concept of--

never allowed here.

Waltz your ass down to Kingsville and tell them folks that own the King Ranch you are going in there and kill one of your deer.

Be sure and tell us how that hopey-changey thing works out for you.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Sorry, I disagree. It's not girls, women or women's thoughts that are causing your issue. It is URBANIZATION.

BTW- I didn't give you Obama and very few of the women I know voted for him. That includes my mother! So don't blame us.

Ann,

This is not an attack on you or your mother,

or my mother, grandmother, etc.

Urbanization has played a role,

however even in rural areas the schoolboards,

teachers, heads of organizations for youth

including non-school related activities--

have little male involvement.

The number of households with no father is

still growing in all areas of the country.

If this is an attack on anyone it is on us,

then men.

As a whole in this country ,borne out by data,

women do not believe hunting is wholesome or

necessary, but harmful and inciting further

violence among people.

As is the fact, that women particularly those

not married or in a long established

relationship- were the deciding factor in many

of the important elections of recent times.

The sport aspect of hunting and particularly

the increased pictorial presence of girls and

women in hunting activities had only increased

the fervor of anti-gun, anti-hunting groups as

well as, their legislative push in both state

and national capitols.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Semantics be damned, Hunting is now and always has been a Priveldge, not a right.

Go your ass out there and break a few game laws and get caught and see just how fast your so called right to hunt will be taken away from you.

quote:
The concept of--

never allowed here.

Waltz your ass down to Kingsville and tell them folks that own the King Ranch you are going in there and kill one of your deer.

Be sure and tell us how that hopey-changey thing works out for you.

Not semantics--

go research the founders writings.

Protection of private property especially land

was also well discussed.

Hunting has been ALLOWED to become a privilege,

much as many other activities are now also.

Our legislatures and judiciary have led an

onslaught of removal and restriction of rights

NEVER provided for in our framework.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what reading I have done, I have seen no where that hunting was listed as part of our right to keep and bear arms.

If it is there it is so peripheral as to be non-noticeable.

The only state I can think of off hand where private land and private land owners rights are really cared about is Texas.

With the exception of the folks in Alaska, very few if any of us in the lower 48 actually depend upon hunting and fishing for our normal meat supply.

Who was it that worked at getting game and fish laws established and put into writing, Politicians, no, hunters and fishermen did, and why did they do so, because they knew then as we should know now that if hunting or fishing were a Guaranteed Right, with no restrictions, there would soon be no game of any kind anywhere.

Why do you think the Plains Indian tribes were nomads, because they enjoyed, hell no, it was because they would deplete an area of all its resources and either move to greener pastures or starve.

The reason our politicians are so bent toward reducing our rights and priveldges on things such as hunting and fishing is because of the change in the way people in our modern society view such activities.

They were bombarded starting in the 50's with the thinkings and beliefs of Walt Disney and then others came along and the information mediums have been blasting us with wrong information for years.

Too many of us were/are too busy in the Rat Race to have the time to set down with our kids/grandkids and teach them reality.

Nearly everyone has became enraptured with instant gratifacation with minimal effort.

I don't buy into a lot of the modern thinking that todays hunters/fishermen have about the respective sports.

Maybe that has to do with being raised in a time and in an area where when someone wanted to go hunting or fishing they asked a landowner and were given permission with not one dollar changing hands, a limit of birds or mess of fish maybe, but that was all.

In the past 20 to 30 years people realized that there was lots of money to be made by turning hunting and fishing into competetive sports, and because so much of the countries population moved from the rural areas into the urban/suburban areas, that contact with the land and nature was lost.

The result was younger folks getting more interested in the non-consumptive activities that allowed them to be outside and compete against each other.

The entrepeneaurs(sp) saw the window open and they are still jumping into it and todays outdoors person is buying in to it as fast as they can.