THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: California Ammo Bill on the Fast Track

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: California Ammo Bill on the Fast Track
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I left there when I was 16 and have not one regret and unless things changed drastically I could not be paid enough to move back.

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Maybe The Gubinator will pass on signing. I've already sent him an e-mail. I've got to get out of this state!!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although this is political I felt it deserved a spot where more might see it.

Doug

California sportsmen are faced with advancing legislation that obstructs the purchase of firearm ammunition. Previous bills impeding ammunition sales have been thwarted by California sportsmen and action is again needed.

Senate Bill 1152, introduced by Sen. Jack Scott, D-Altadena, will require firearm owners to provide personal information including their thumbprint to vendors when ammunition is purchased. The bill passed the Senate on May 18 by a vote of 22 to 16 and the Assembly Committee on Appropriations approved the bill on August 4, 13 to 5. It is currently being debated on the Assembly floor.

The bill would require individuals purchasing ammunition to prove that they are over age 18. They would also have to provide the vendor with personal contact information including address, date of birth and a thumbprint. The information would be available to peace officers. Refusal to comply would result in a misdemeanor charge.

The entire article from the US Sportsmans Alliance can be read Here

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I've lived all my life in California, but in a few more years, I'm getting the hell out of here. I went to visit some relatives in Texas a few months ago. Wow, what a great state. The people are friendly and I can get a houses that is twice the size of my current home for 1/3 the price. What a deal. Can't wait to get out of here, I just don't know what state to move to. I will also look forward to cheaper everything, like gas.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's the actual language from the bill:

SEC. 3. Section 12326 is added to the Penal Code, to read:
12326. (a) The term "vendor," as used in this section, means any
person who is engaged, in compliance with local, state, and federal
law, in the retail sale of firearm ammunition, including any dealer.

(b) The term "firearm ammunition" as used in this section, means
assembled live ammunition for use in a firearm, as "firearm" is
defined in subdivision (b) of Section 12001.
(c) No vendor shall sell or otherwise transfer ownership of any
ammunition without at the time of purchase recording the following
information on a form to be prescribed by the Department of Justice:

(1) The date of the transaction.
(2) The name, address, and date of birth of the transferee.
(3) The transferee's driver's license or other identification
number and the state in which it was issued.
(4) The brand, type, and amount of ammunition transferred.
(5) The transferee's signature.
(6) The name of the salesperson who processed the transaction.
(d) The vendor shall also at the time of purchase or transfer
obtain the right thumbprint of the purchaser or transferee on the
above form.

From a technical standpoint, the provisions are inartfully written and would be difficult to enforce.

First, the bill implicity outlaws the sale of ammunition to persons who are not in possession of a right thumb. This is a blatant violation of the Equal Protection amendment, not to mention the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Second, the bill does not require that a person be the holder of an FFL, a state tax permit, or be in any other status to transfer ammunition and thus come under its provisions. Well, there is one way; if you are illegally in possession of the ammunition then you are exempt from reporting its transfer. But if you are legally in possession ammunition, and you transfer ammunition to any other person, you are subject to complying with the same provisions (ID, thumbprint, etc) even if you are an individual transfering to another individual. The bill implicitly outlaws a father giving ammunition to a 17 year old son.

Third, the bill sets up a stricter regimen for "controlled merchandise", in this case ammunition, than for alcohol or even prescription drugs. The law can reasonably require a convenience store to "card" a young person to assure he is of majority age before selling him beer, but the store is not required to maintain a record of the brand and quantity that the legal buyer obtains, much less obtain the buyer's thumbprint (even though alcohol-related traffic fatalities claim an order of magnitude more lives than do ammunition-related incidents). Creating a burden disproportionate to the risk involved for the public is poor public policy, no matter how you feel about firearms.

But now the good news: The bill only applies to "assembled live ammunition". One more good reason to only load and shoot your own!

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
It's a sorry state. There are a lot of good people in California but unfortunately their votes are outnumbered by the liberal urban assholes in LA, San Diego and the SF bay area. I guess all we can do is load up on components before anymore of this well-intentioned lunacy goes into effect.

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote