THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: What 2 way radios are the best for hunting?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What 2 way radios are the best for hunting?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I use radios in Idaho, especially while bird hunting. They add a lot to the safety. I can't comment on which model to buy but strongly suggest you get a model that has rechargable batteries. For the longest range you may consider an amature radio license. You can radio back to Boise from most all points in the state once you have the repeaters lined out.

BTW, there are tons of people breaking the law in Idaho. We need an entire plan for channel changing in order to maintain communications. It's kind of fun hearing the other guys chasing deer.

Posts: 80 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I think it is funny how people talk about only using the radios to communicate, we all know this is a very gray area, i am sure many people abuse the radios

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wrongtarget,

If anyone tried to call me once an hour when I'm hunting I would elimenate them from the equation. I hunt to get away from distractions.

Posts: 13809 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Wrongtarget,

If anyone tried to call me once an hour when I'm hunting I would elimenate them from the equation. I hunt to get away from distractions.

Different strokes.... We don't necessarily need to communicate with each other, but if the need arises, we know when to turn on the radios to do so.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The friend I'm hunting with is older and will be taking a boat down the river with his wife so it's nice to be able to check and make sure he hasn't tipped over, crashed, etc. If I was going to be with him all the time I wouldn't worry about radios. Last year I went over there with another friend and we didn't use any radios nor was there a need for it. The water in the river is pretty cold and it wouldn't take long for someone to get in pretty rough shape if they were to tip a boat over. The temps have been down around freezing overnight already and they are calling for snow next week. As you can see it's a safety precaution.

Posts: 179 | Location: Boise, ID | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
I use Motorola 5950s.

Using two-way radios may not necessarily be illegal for communication. It is illegal in many States to pursue game with the aid of radios. But, it is perfectly legal to use them for other communication and they are considered a useful safety device.

Alaska - "Communications equipment may be used for safety purposes; however, it may not be used to aid in the taking of game."

Idaho - No mention of the use of radio communication. But you can bet they are illegal to aid the taking of game. Here is mention of them being used hunting Chukar in Idaho: http://espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/s/h_map02_ID_SalmonR_Chukar.html

Quote:

Two-way communications cannot be used while hunting and can only be used in the field in the case of emergencies in Montana. CP.

FALSE

Montana - "Two-way communication may not be used to: 1) hunt big game animals as defined in MCA 87-2-101(8) ("Hunt" means to "pursue, shoot, wound, kill, chase, lure, possess or capture.") OR 2) avoid game checking stations, FWP enforcement personnel, or to facilitate unlawful activity. When hunting mountain lions or bobcats with dogs, this rule applies when hounds are placed on tracks in a district open to lion or bobcat harvest. The rule shall not be interpreted to prohibit the possession or use of two-way radios for safety or other legitimate purposes, nor does it prohibit the use of radio tracking equipment to locate hounds when hunting mountain lions or bobcats."

If the communication these are used for does not involve pursuing or taking game and game is not pursued or taken as a result of the communication, they are perfectly legal in MOST States.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote