THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Rumour...Weatherby in serious financial trouble??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rumour...Weatherby in serious financial trouble??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This was mentioned on the end of a thread running on 24HourCampfire. The thread is very long and this member had posted a few times and there is nothing in his previous postings on the thread to indicate he is "anti Wby" and going for a shit stir.

The member posted "Rumur I am hearing is Weatherby is in serious financial straits as we speak."

I asked him to elaborate and this is what he posted:

"MIke, I heard that from a guide over in the Paso Robles CA area. Atascadaro, CA, home of Weatherby, is only a few miles from there. That's all I know, and I did say it was a rumor. Personally, I hope they are OK, as I happen to like the weatherby cartridges, and probably would own several of their rifles if I could free up the cash."

I would be interested if any of you in the US have any information on this as I am just completing orders with the Australia Wby agent for a couple of Wbys that are upgrades and so have to be made. I could not care less if the rifles were in stock items but I am concerned if this rumour has legs because of any potential delivery problems.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Why don't you just call Weatherby? I'd do that before I listened to, or started a , hey, did you hear...

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Maybe Mike doesn't feel like calling CA from Australia ($$$). At any rate, even if he did, I'm SURE they'd be completely forthcoming on the phone regarding their finances. Yeah, right.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's too bad if it's true as we want the gun industry to do well. Weatherby does have a name and I thought had a niche market They have come out with a Ultra Lightweight that's made in the USA and has a deep flutted barrel. The rifle has a spectacular look that must appeal to many.

Not long ago Smith & Wesson sold for only fifteen million. That's nothing compared to what some rap "artist" gets for one song. It's not fair.

I will ask around.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is probaly OK as this thread and the same one on the African forum have had lots of "views" and I think these two threads would have flushed out anyone who had heard something or knew something.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apart from this post and the one on Africa forum not drawing any responses the person who made the postings on 24hourCampFire has come back to me that the rumour is not from what one would call a good source.

So I can now complete my orders and the two rifles should be in Australia by May.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Weatherby does have a name and I thought had a niche market "

Yeah but dont you think that niche market has been eroded away some by the WSM and RUMs?

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not in my case. Still plan on picking up a few Weatherby rifles and shotguns. Checked out a used Athena 20ga at a store a while back and really liked the feel.

Posts: 226 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anyone can confirm these rumours then don't post it up as it is now too late because I have hit the "send" button

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If anyone can confirm these rumours then don't post it up as it is now too late because I have hit the "send" button

Mike

The word I got was that the "normal" rifle division is fine, but the "upgrade" shop is going under...